• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BD Vs. Pacbrake Vs. Banks

I had a BD turbo mount on my old truck. I loved it. Zero issues and used it all year whether towing or not. 

Had the arming switch on the shifter and there was a micro switch on the throttle. 

Brake activated when throttle was in neutral position. 

Saved my butt a few times. 

• Like 1

You state you are going to install yourself.  My BD is not user friendly direction wise but it works better than my in-laws Pac brake in his 7.3. We both agree.  Unsure what models we each have.  Or if our 2nd gen has more compression or what ever.

I think if buying again I would go with Pac brake if directions are better and if they had phone number in US.  I spent about 20 min on phone with BD tech dept and surprised by added charges on phone bill.  Maybe different now in 2018 than 2008.  And I think Pacbrake has more support if you need any.  On my exhaust thing there are 2 ports that are plugged off with brass plug.    1 for temp probe and 1 is test port.  I didn't need either (never touched)  but the plug for test port came out going down mountain pass.  Made he'll of racket and burned hole in rubber strip that goes across.  That is when I called them. Beyond that has worked excellent and wouldn't be without one towing trailers on grades and.  ? and wife no longer telling me to slowdown.?

Edited by 015point9
Screw up

I have the Banks. Bolted right and and worked great until 6 months ago. I think something in the actuator went, but not sure. It is possible I have some vacuum leakage that could be the culprit. Not getting much time at home lately to check it out. Has around 165k on it and worked fine right up to the day it quit.

I got a BD the one that replaces a back flange on the turbo, I thought installation was fairly simple just took some time  to install. Works pretty good especially in higher RPM.  just need to consider if you're ever going to upsize your turbo from 3 to 4 inch, then you probably should look at in line installation vs the ones that bolt to turbo.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

just need to consider if you're ever going to upsize your turbo from 3 to 4 inch, then you probably should look at in line installation vs the ones that bolt to turbo.

I've got 4-inch exhaust bolted on my exhaust brake and no issues. Even with the 3-inch exhaust, I didn't have any issues.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got 4-inch exhaust bolted on my exhaust brake and no issues. Even with the 3-inch exhaust, I didn't have any issues.

does your exhaust brake flange come out as a 4-inch? If that's the case I'll definitely go with your setup, mine is only 3" then  bushes out to down down pipe that is 4 inch and then it turns to 5 inch

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I heard where people put hx40 or something like that on with a 4 inch downpipe right from the turbo, what I mean is it doesn't bush out it's true 4 inch

You are correct. 

When I went from HX35 to Super B I had to lose the exhaust brake due to the Super B now having an HX40 outlet and requiring an HX40 downpipe. 

BD's and Pac Brake's websites even mention this. Although Pac Brake's is a little more vague stating an additional adapter is needed and I was unable to find that adapter on the site. 

https://pacbrake.com/product-search-results/?product_year=2002&product_make=Dodge&product_model=RAM+2500&product_line_type=exhaust-brakes&search_type=product

https://www.dieselperformance.com/shop/product/2033137-exhaust-brake-1999-2002-dodge-vac-turbo-mount-5348

When I was needing to upgrade the HX35 I had one option then if I wanted to keep the brake. City Diesel's Dodgezilla hybrid. 

Wasn't exactly sold on that at the time. This was 2007.

Now with the advancements in hybrid HX35 chargers and tuning there really is no reason you can't have the exhaust mounted brake...within certain limits.

I will be getting another one for this truck. When I got rid of it I missed it a lot. 

Edited by Ben
  • Like 1

My Banks, as many others, operates off of the vacuum system on the truck. For the most of them they close a butterfly valve in the exhaust turning the engine into an air compressor. 

The Jake brake does something the valve train. Someone else would have to explain that due to my lack of knowledge.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is a true Jake Brake by Thunder Brake.

Interesting. One off vapor ware. Saw their videos but no explanation of concept just wanting funding.

Edited by Ben

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Interesting. One off vapor ware. Saw their videos but no explanation of concept just wanting funding.

The vehicle never really slows down. Just sounds neat. 

My BD brake would swing the rear end out on me in gravel given the right conditions. 

AAre you happy with your BD brake?