• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Help with Mapping GPS

Some here may already know that I'm not very tech savvy. I recently updated to a hand held GPS with maps, a Magellan Triton 1500. I know I'm a little behind the times here. I also downloaded the Vantage Point software. That was an adventure in itself for me. The Magellan manual is terrible for a guy like me. It tells you that the software allows you to create maps and put them on an SD card and use them on the GPS. That's it. Nowhere does it explain how. So my questions for now are:

Where do you get these maps? Are there free ones? If you down load them how do you get them into the Vantage point software? Once in the software how do you save them and get them on the SD card. I don't mind paying for the maps either. NatGeo came with but there's a fee. I just want to make sure I can make it all work before I buy any maps. What I would like to do is create detailed maps of my favorite spots and use them since the base map is not very detailed at all. The road I live on does not even show. If anyone knows of a video or written tutorial that would be great. I did look at some writeups but so many skip over the key points that they take for granted everyone knows and that's where I get confused.:think::ahhh:

Thanks for any replies.

Yeah, I'm seeing that more and more about Magellan since I've been searching around. I had a Garmin before. 

So when you download maps on your Garmin, do you just save them to your PC and then drag and drop to the SD card and put it in the GPS unit?

• Administrator

Personally I've got two Garmin's

Garmin nüvi LM42

Garmin GPS V

As for the Garmin GPS V its been retired to my Search and Rescue bag. Don't need maps per say. I just need to landmark where the truck is at and then shut it off. Then when it time to come back turn it on and head back towards the waypoint I saved. 

As for the Garmin LM42 (Lifetime Maps), this is an awesome little GPS I keep in my truck. I can update the map free anytime I wish. Comes with micro SD slot so I can save information and screenshots if needed. Again I don't really use the navigation much at all. It more like night time coming home in storms where visibility is low I can peer at the screen and see curves in the road coming up ahead. Since address or location is impossible out here even if I got to call 911 I can give a LAT and LONG to the dispatcher. 

i have 5 gamin units. i use an older software called mapsource to put them onto the units. it's not easy to locate, but it is our there, some have switched to basecamp, but i like mapsource so much better. i have a copy of it, but i'm not sure how i'd transfer it. it's rather large form adding maps over the years. 

very easy to use, open mapsource, select the maps you want on the GPS, then click the transfer button. the software puts them on the GPS for you. 

as for maps, i have the standard garmin maps, and i also download local high def ones from GPSFiledepo.com they are free. 

i also have a streets maps i can load on my older nuvi for when i'ts not being used for a geocache one and is used for road trips instead. they both have microSD card slots for added storage and or maps. but i've found the standard 2GB is plenty for me. 

my entire Garmin folder is 10 GB. i'm all ears on how to transfer it to you if we can find a way. 

the version located here, https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

is an upgrade to the really old version, but i have to have the older version for this to work. wonder if i could hack a folder together that would make it work... off to a virtual machine for testing... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've now got the Maps4me thing figured out, as well as the communicator. $7 for 5 days of download which is fine for me. Wishing now I would have went Garmin. Seems easier. I appreciate the offer on your folder Killer, but I'm not very tech. I'll check out the link.  Thanks for the help guys!

Got it figured out. The vantage Point software is the interface between the GPS and PC. You down load the maps from where ever and add them to Vantage point. Then hook the GPS with SD card inside to the PC ad transfer. I used the maps4me link that @Killer223 provided Thanks for that! ow I'd like to find some topo maps. The detailed maps overlay the basemap and now all the back roads like the one I live on show up. It all seems so simple now. If only the user manual was more in depth. Now all I need is some time to get out and try it. Thanks again for the help!