• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump took a dump

Ok so I drove about 65 miles round trip yesterday with a buddy and had no issues except for a few times I thought the truck stuttered a little but nothing to cuase any worry. I was driving home on the back roads and the truck all the sudden started sputtering like crazy and would almost die. I quickly pulled off and killed the engine and pulled out my code scanner. I couldn't find any codes but there was a P230 in the freeze frame section which is Fuel Pump primary circuit. I towed the truck back to my house and pulled into the garage and pulled out my multimeter but the multimeter wouldn't work right. IS there any way to verify the lp took a dump without doing the testing in the PO230 code instructions?

• Owner
1 minute ago, Marcus2000monster said:

It wont do anything if the plug is unhooked right?

You need to unplug the pump. 

Bump the starter.

Measure the voltage at the plug. 

If 12V is present everything is fine with the ECM and the lift pump is junk.

If 0V is at the plug you just lost the ECM lift pump circuit. Also, the lift pump is junk too which caused the ECM failure. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You need to unplug the pump. 

Bump the starter.

Measure the voltage at the plug. 

If 12V is present everything is fine with the ECM and the lift pump is junk.

If 0V is at the plug you just lost the ECM lift pump circuit. Also, the lift pump is junk too which caused the ECM failure. 

Got 11.97 volts at the plug. @trreed has a used Fass 150 on the way that I will be installing. Would you recommend leaving the old pump on the truck or pull it off? 

Sounds like it's junk, I'd take it off. Some leave in line pump just in case ad or fass die, but there is so many other things can go wrong you may as well load the truck with spear parts and take them everywhere you go or try to stay on top of things with preventive maintenance. Some had everything they needed but the vp and vp goes out or water pump or alternator and takes ECM with then you're still stock out there. Best to have a plan and people you can trust. Some saved cash maybe.

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Sounds like it's junk, I'd take it off. Some leave in line pump just in case ad or fass die, but there is so many other things can go wrong you may as well load the truck with spear parts and take them everywhere you go or try to stay on top of things with preventive maintenance. Some had everything they needed but the vp and vp goes out or water pump or alternator and takes ECM with then you're still stock out there. Best to have a plan and people you can trust. Some saved cash maybe.

Ill have to wait to take it off until I get the fuel lines from the Fass hooked up right? As far as stock inlet hose from the tank what will I do with that? 

8 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Ill have to wait to take it off until I get the fuel lines from the Fass hooked up right? As far as stock inlet hose from the tank what will I do with 

you can go ahead take the pump off, won't hurt any thing, but if my memory serves me right you need to leave the mounting bracket on. It covers the hole in the block where a mechanical pump was on the old 12v s. You can abandon any old fuel lines in place or remove them. Your prefrence.

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

you can go ahead take the pump off, won't hurt any thing, but if my memory serves me right you need to leave the mounting bracket on. It covers the hole in the block where a mechanical pump was on the old 12v s. You can abandon any old fuel lines in place or remove them. Your prefrence.

Thanks my friend! Any other suggestions about the Fass install?

I wouldn't be driving it at all if your pressure is unstable like that. Didn’t you put some guages in:think: can't remember. You may have bad connection if you got good 12 volt at plug. Waight for fass hopefully with full wireing and relay, make sure you put a protective relay in unless @trreed already did, they come with a regular relay not a protective one. Then upgrade your lines and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wouldn't be driving it at all if your pressure is unstable like that. Didn’t you put some guages in:think: can't remember. You may have bad connection if you got good 12 volt at plug. Waight for fass hopefully with full wireing and relay, make sure you put a protective relay in unless @trreed already did, they come with a regular relay not a protective one. Then upgrade your lines and you should be good to go.

What makes you think I'm driving it? Heck no! LOL!! No I did not do  gauges but I do have a pressure tester gauge... 

Also it is coming with 1/2 inch lines... 

• Like 1

For the stock line coming off the basket, you'll take that off and put the fass suction there. 

Get the proper fitting:.... Stock tank suction pick-up quick-connect to 1/2" push lock hose

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Quick-Connect-1-2-x-1-2-Nylon-90-Degree-Push-Lock-p/fqc68pl.htm

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, trreed said:

The FASS came with one I never used. 

Yes, Fass puts a Wrong fitting in their kit.

I hear that they know Its wrong.

Its for when they used 3/8" fuel line before they started using 1/2". 

Why dont they correct that ?  :think:       :cheerleader:  :punish:

:D

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still have the fitting you're talking about. I had to look at it for a hard minute to figure out where it came from! But they also supplied me a version of the fitting you linked, so that is in the package.  Cause I had a 1/2" drawstraw from day 1 with that pump. 

Edited by trreed

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

............. But they also supplied me a version of the fitting you linked, so that is in the package.  ............................... 

I called Fass to see if they would send me the correct fitting and the guy that was answering their calls that day denied that it was wrong and was a jerk. Maybe a new guy working their

I should call again and ask for one of the owners?  Is Matt one of the owners?