• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well I thought the truck was running good... It sat last night and most of today and I went to start her and she fired first crank but idle extremely erratic and had a nasty lope and unloaded a mass cloud of white smoke... New injectors went in a week and a half ago and all seemed well until the lift pump failed. I'm thinking the LP took the VP too. Fuel pressure went straight to 20 psi so that's not a issue. Ran the key trick and got P1693 and then -------- and then P Done. checked for codes and found nothing. 

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

It sounds like your timing piston is out of whack. 

Which means new VP44? I will also add that when I was repriming the system after the Fass install it took a really long time for the fuel to reach the pump and injectors. I did the bump starter priming method at lest 6 times and a lot of 30 second crank intervals before it started. Also I had 3 injectors cracked to bleed air. 

It may be your vp, you did mention shitty fuel mileage. It's usually a sign of weak vp, honestly I think mine is heading there too, I just can't seem to get 20 mpg unless it's all hwy going about 60mph. Average is like 16 and that's being nice. I did have white smoke the other day getting off hwy coming to stop sign in reved it up just before taking off again and big cloud of white smoke passed me, never seen that before and it never did it again.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

It may be your vp, you did mention shitty fuel mileage. It's usually a sign of weak vp, honestly I think mine is heading there too, I just can't seem to get 20 mpg unless it's all hwy going about 60mph. Average is like 16 and that's being nice. I did have white smoke the other day getting off hwy coming to stop sign in reved it up just before taking off again and big cloud of white smoke passed me, never seen that before and it never did it again.

Hmm hopefully some more guys will chime in with some more death symptoms. I don’t want to go out and buy a 1500 dollar part if I don’t need it...

That I can't answer that. I have some distrust in the key trivk and usually rely on my scan gauge. If yours was reading both it would read p ecu, then any codes, then p done. Then you would see p pcu,  then any codes, then p done. This works 02's, most 01's and maybe a few 00's. Kind of hit miss on it

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

That I can't answer that. I have some distrust in the key trivk and usually rely on my scan gauge. If yours was reading both it would read p ecu, then any codes, then p done. Then you would see p pcu,  then any codes, then p done. This works 02's, most 01's and maybe a few 00's. Kind of hit miss on it

My build date was 1999 so I doubt it works on mine. Ill run some more scans for codes today. 

Now I'm bewildered. Truck started up and idled fine with barely a puff of blue smoke and its 25 degrees out! And it wasn't plugged in! Very strange. 

Went to town a little bit ago and truck sat for about 20 mins. started on third crank and sputtered and idled shitty until I revved to 1200 rpms and finally idled better but still not normal. Still a rough idle. Talked to Blue Chip diesel nd gave him all info and symptoms and hes thinking that its the VP. Any other thoughts? 

Heres a video of the warmed up idle after it sat for 10 mins. 

9 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Definitely could be VP or injectors. Seems to lean more towards VP since you’re seeing the symptoms when the trucks warm as well.

Just replaced injectors2 weeks ago. I think that's what caused the lift pump to fail. Ran great until the LP died. So its about got to be the VP.