• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White smoke on start up less with warm motor

I have a 2002 2500 5.9 that when started on a cold morning blows white smoke for a min then stops. When I stop some Where and get back in and start up it puffs white for a second. No loss of power no CLE no soft codes. Not sure of fuel pressure. I know I need a gauge. My question is is this somwthin I need to worry about or no? I just started seeing it the last few days. But the temp has been colder the last few days.  Thanks for any and all help! 

1 minute ago, Unreal Summit said:

I have a 2002 2500 5.9 that when started on a cold morning blows white smoke for a min then stops. When I stop some Where and get back in and start up it puffs white for a second. No loss of power no CLE no soft codes. Not sure of fuel pressure. I know I need a gauge. My question is is this somwthin I need to worry about or no? I just started seeing it the last few days. But the temp has been colder the last few days.  Thanks for any and all help! 

Whats the temp been? Blue smoke is typical on a cold morning but white smoke tends to be injectors or injection pump issues. How many miles on the truck and are the injectors original?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

If u don't mind My asking about how much did u pay for yours? And is that anyway I could test mine to see if they are in good working condition?  I was trying to save up for some gauges. 

Well If you want to test them you will have to send them somewhere and pay them to do it while your truck is down. By the time you do that you might as well get a set new aftermarket injectors. Check out Diesel Auto Power website they have good prices and high quality parts and customer service. I have 75hp sticks and I payed 325 but they were on sale. I think theyre like 375 when not on sale. I would recommend a set of Bosch RV275s plus 40 HP injecotrs. Great fuel MPG and a little extra power. Depending on the trucks goals you may want to go bigger. I don't recommend buying anything over 75hp on a stock turbo! It will cuase smoke and egt issues. Also it would be very wise to get gauges before any other mods. At bare minimum a Fuel Pressure gauge. These can be found at this link. I personaly own this one. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VPMAX-Fuel-Pressure-Tester-Test-Gauge-Schrader-p/fpt.htm

• Like 1

Do u have that mounted in ur truck or just for a test?  Is their any other way I can test them out with out sending them off to be tested?  Really not wanting to be spending money if mine are ok for now.  Just odd how it only does it on start up.    Thanks for all your help 

5 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

Do u have that mounted in ur truck or just for a test?  Is their any other way I can test them out with out sending them off to be tested?  Really not wanting to be spending money if mine are ok for now.  Just odd how it only does it on start up.    Thanks for all your help 

Currently I have it laying on my windshield held down by the windshield wiper because I just replaced my lift pump. I would recommend getting one that stays in the truck. You can run the one I posted in the link but you run the risk of leaking fuel inside the truck. I understand! :hug: You could see if theyrs a local shop with a pop tester. Where do you live? 

ALso you can get a set of High quality Isspro mechanical gauges from Vulcan Diesel for 350$. Idk if you have a manual or auto but if a auto get the trans temp boost and egt and fuel pressure if your a manual get boost egt and fuel press

• Staff

If you need to wait on the gauges at least do fuel pressure to help hold above 14 at all times. That's important.

My electrical sending gauge kept going bad. Two sending units in one year.

Changed to a mechanical gauge the isolator is just now going bad

Bought a second truck and put on a mech F/P gauge w/o the isolator. Installed down by the floor so if it ever leaks it will just go down there over the Husky Liner floor matts.

Both trucks have the needle valve to shut them off and to dampen the hammer damage from the injection pump.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Unreal Summit said:

I got a auto. My plan was to get something like the edge cts 2 or quadzliia iquad. So I can keep up with everything.  I live in mount airy nc I don't think anyone around here can test them. 

If just a daily driver the fp is still a must and not expensive to add. If you plan on doing some towing right away the others mentioned become important.

I ran my oe injectors for 250k and they still seemed ok. No mileage or power loss from new that I could notice. One thing that will help clean the injectors is strap a load on it get the get your egt's up around 1000 to 1200*. Hard to tell the temps without a gauge though.The heat wil cook the carbon off of them. Mine were pretty clean even after 250k. How many miles are on your truck and was it ever used for towing that you know of?

And by the way I live just down the road in Hickory. Tell Thelma Lou i said howdy.

• Like 1

It is a daily but will be used to towing as well com hay season. It was used for towing before but not sure to what extent. I bought some diesel addtivite today to add to the fuel to help any sticking injectors and maybe I shouldn't just baby it all the time.  I think I'll get me at least a temporary fuel gauge.  I checked the oil and antifreeze and all is normal there. 

I don't know what additive you used but I would highly recommend using some 2 cycle oil. I use super tech from wall world. It is good for the entire fuel sytem especially the VP. Today's diesel is not the same as the diesel we used back when these trucks were new. The injector cleaners out there today won't do much to an injector even if you soaked the injector in bowl with the cleaner straight out of the bottle, plus they dry the fuel out even more. A bio diesel blend is another good option. When i run that I fore go the 2 cycle.  My truck and many others here are on the same diet. Mine has been on this diet for the past 8 years with others here, longer than that. 1 oz per gallon.

Getting the temps towing will keep the injectors cleaner than any additive. 

• Like 2

Just regular 2 stroke oil like for a dirt bike in the fuel? I haven't heard of that before but I will look into that? Do u run it with every tank? I picked up some howes diesel treat.   I just went and checked my oil and antifreeze again and it's all normal so I thought I would start it up and see what it did now that's it's bout 54 degrees. And guess what no smoke at all.  Beats the heck out of me. I am new to the diesel truck world guess I am just scared of breaking something lol. 

• Haha 1