• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How many KMS/MILES you got

Just hit 490,000kms on the 2001 ram an still running strong. Its my daily driver/work truck. Do some average hauling(5K-8K Lbs) from time to time. I know thats not an extreme amount of kms an the truck is under worked a lot( getting groceries, sunday cruises, ect!) lol. Just curious how many kms/miles everyone has on there trucks. Average mpg is 24.6, mix of town an hwy driving (no load) 

CDC6D44E-0679-4384-87AE-76CA06F9ED1F.jpeg

BD854618-0C2F-48D9-B6C8-38E509B93343.jpeg

160ml/257km on the clock, average mpg is 17mpg. And somehow when doing my head gasket half of my valve guides were wore at that low of mileage :think:.

Your MPG seems high for me, I'm jealous. My best ever is 21mpg and that's all hwy empty with topper on and about 60 mph.

I do drive a 5 speed 2.3l Honda Accord to work that gets solid 34mpg about150ml round trip and save half on fuel. By my calculations even with some time off and holidays, I'll drive to work about 230 times a year, and at the current gas prices it cost me about $10 to get to work in my car and $20 in my truck. So saving 2,300 bucks a year is pretty good in my book. I know some will argue that they can't afford the second vehicle, but I only paid $1500 for my Honda and if I can save $2300 that's no brainer to me. Keeps more money in my pocket to put towards the truck :thumb1:

I know I got off a subject a little bit, my bad. :cheers:

8 hours ago, UnrulyDually said:

Just hit 490,000kms on the 2001 ram an still running strong. Its my daily driver/work truck. Do some average hauling(5K-8K Lbs) from time to time. I know thats not an extreme amount of kms an the truck is under worked a lot( getting groceries, sunday cruises, ect!) lol. Just curious how many kms/miles everyone has on there trucks. Average mpg is 24.6, mix of town an hwy driving (no load) 

I wish I could figure out how the heck people are getting mpg like this!?? I get a lowly 14 everywhere I go. I have only 128k o my truck. I’d be satisfied with 18 19 mpg if I could just get there lol. Any advice there OP?

• Owner

Average 18-21 MPG currently. 

Currently 336k miles on the clock. Currently due for oil change. 

My MPG number should start to rise again. I realized that as my tie rod ends were getting sloppy my engine load was rising slowly without me knowing. Now after the tie rod ends have been replaced and the front end re-aligned I've noticed the engine load is down nearly 2-3% on average. The truck drives like a sports car again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Average 18-21 MPG currently. 

Currently 336k miles on the clock. Currently due for oil change. 

My MPG number should start to rise again. I realized that as my tie rod ends were getting sloppy my engine load was rising slowly without me knowing. Now after the tie rod ends have been replaced and the front end re-aligned I've noticed the engine load is down nearly 2-3% on average. The truck drives like a sports car again. 

I am jealous! :whistle: Hopefully with a new Vp44 my mpg will go up some.

10 hours ago, UnrulyDually said:

Average mpg is 24.6, mix of town an hwy driving (no load) 

Is that mpg, or kilometers per Gallon or liter :think:

I am right about the same with 304640 mi. = 490270 kilometers. I average about 15.5 mpg in the winter and 17 empty. on a good day in the summer, My truck only see’s the freeway a couple times a year. Mostly all mountain and town driving

Sry meant to say 24.6 mpgs is my BEST mpgs ive seen on my truck. Its in the lower twenties now. I usually reset the mpg gauge every fill up. I drive around with a pretty light foot;) Dont race around or smoke ppl out too much lol. Love these truck for there power an mpgs!!

The odometer is kmh. Then the fuel consumption is in mpg. Mpg just makes a lil more sense to me than liters per 100km or whatever it is lol. I can change in between stnd/mtric units on the overhead display on my truck so thats on US Standard, then my odo is Metric

• Like 1

WOW...24 mpg mixed city and freeway is better than I ever got.  

One time I got 21.  That was mostly cruise control on freeway and rpm's 1900 and I put little extra air in tires that trip.  And 2 wheel drive.  Next set of tires going to go narrower and get front end aligned.  Maybe then I catch up with some of you guys.

Edited by 015point9

Its a dually too which isnt too bad. Mgs are a lil lower now, between 18-21 rite now with aggressive winter tires on(no studs). 60psi in front, 50psi in rears. I run the Toyo M55s in summer(stock 1 ton size). Thats when im seeing more low to mid 20 mpgs!

Ya for sure. Being the one that does 95% of the work on my truck, i like to take it easy on it an keep my repair/maintanance time to a minimum   I dont plan on ever getting rid of the truck even if it does get retired to farm truck. I just really wanna see how many kms i can get out of it. Got it with 285,xxxkms on it

27 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The answer to better vehicle longevity and MPG's is smaller and lighter tires and driving like an old man, been proven again and again.

There, I corrected for you.

I like to think of it as a "Safe" old man. 

Son thinks of it as his truck could pull me sideways.

Grandson thinks of it as...Grandpa's truck is better because it makes more noise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Owner

The thing that I'm learning is parts degrade over time you might not notice the changes over time but they are happening. What woke me up was the fact that I gave in on the tie rod ends and replace them. Now that I've replace the tie rods and had it realigned I'm totally shocked at how the truck drives now. Whole new animal. Like driving a sports car now. Handles wonderfully!

This 336k miles adventure I've been on has taught me many things. Every lesson I learn I try to pass on to other Cummins truck owners. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and use a bit of brain power to figure out the puzzles. Like my current puzzle is alternators. 

I'm like many other people here I plan on running my truck till there is nothing left of the old beast. I'm planning on crossing the 500k milestone for sure. 

Just for fun some of the long-lasting stuff I had to replace.

2 VP44's - 50k and 243k miles

Ball joints currently - 157k, OEM set 185k miles

OEM Tie Rods - 335k miles

AirDog 150 - 286k miles (12 years old!)

Unit bearings OEM - 150k miles, 155k miles on the second set

One set of brake pads 185k miles

Rear calipers 295k miles

There are lots more on my truck that is factory original yet. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Owner
32 minutes ago, dripley said:

Looking for that 500k mark myself and still have amount of oe  stuff on mine.  I do to find some time show her some love though. Hopefully i will get some on the next job.

I know the feeling. Seems like all you do is beat the trash out of the truck day in and day out. Then when you do get time to give it a bit a love it seems too little too late most times. That rare time when you do hit the timing right... Oh Boy it's like major pay off. 

• Like 2

I'm about to hit 220k miles, getting about 18mpg round trip to work, 16mpg around town and 14 towing.  I got my truck with 178k and only things I had to replace were the starter, batteries, rear brakes and one TRE.  I replaced everything else because I wanted to.  :spend:

• Like 2

My truck is ready to turn 327k. I'm averaging 19-21mpg @75mph traveling back and for between NM and CO. Tuesday I managed 16mpg hauling a Jeep to NM. Like most I stay on top of maintenance because of my travels. A week and a half ago I pulled the trans to check the throwout bearing and found a little issue with my clutch. 

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG