• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How many KMS/MILES you got

2 hours ago, trreed said:

160K.  15 mpg in traffic :(, 17-19 highway.

14 with the gooseneck. :)IMG_3029.JPG.3145f2d4ca5248c3e7ef53c037e25b1e.JPG

Hey, that's my Tahoe! Put that back!

Bet that one gets better mileage than mine, at least while sitting on your trailer.

That particular Tahoe got an engine overhaul and managed 20 mpg on the interstate somehow.  However, it sure didn't help the truck's mpg's at all sitting up there.  That rig weighed in just under 19k. 

Edited by trreed

11 hours ago, trreed said:

185k kinda abused miles. Mostly towing more than it liked. Rings were very worn, and had minimal compression.   

You're scaring me man. So did you rebuilt the engine or still using it, can't remember I'm sorry. The reason I'm asking is mine only has 160 k on it and I already had to put new valve guides in the head, and also my hone marks were not as pronounced as I would have liked them to see. So I think my truck was probably abused too before I got it. I never did compression check, still seems to be running pretty good. The only other thing I can think of, engine been changed with a high mileage one or oil was never changed. Because valve guides on the Cummins should last at least half a million miles in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You're scaring me man. So did you rebuilt the engine or still using it, can't remember I'm sorry. The reason I'm asking is mine only has 160 k on it and I already had to put new valve guides in the head, and also my hone marks were not as pronounced as I would have liked them to see. So I think my truck was probably abused too before I got it. I never did compression check, still seems to be running pretty good. The only other thing I can think of, engine been changed with a high mileage one or oil was never changed. Because valve guides on the Cummins should last at least half a million miles in my opinion.

I can’t tell if he’s talking about the Tahoe or Cummins?

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I can’t tell if he’s talking about the Tahoe or Cummins?

He was talking about the Tahoe. I threw a derailer in there. Sorry for the confusion.

15 hours ago, trreed said:

That particular Tahoe got an engine overhaul and managed 20 mpg on the interstate somehow.  However, it sure didn't help the truck's mpg's at all sitting up there.  That rig weighed in just under 19k. 

13 hours ago, trreed said:

185k kinda abused miles. Mostly towing more than it liked. Rings were very worn, and had minimal compression.   

15 hours ago, dave110 said:

Not bad. The 5.3's are thirsty critters.Just curious, how many miles were on before the overhaul? Then I'll stop and let this thread get back on the rails.

Yes.  Tahoe had 185K on it.  @Dieselfuture, I did rebuild that LS motor.  It's still going strong and its been about a year now.  Tahoe hated towing.  

Truck has 160k on it and loves towing.  That motor hasn't been out of the frame.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1