• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

replacing or relocation intercoolers/rad

So in my project, I need to find 5" of space on the front side of the engine.  At a minimum that  means replacing the fan with electric fan(s).  The next big thing I'd need to move to get space are the intercoolers (turbo and tranny), RAD and AC pack.  Potentially I can move some of that stuff to the side of the engine behind the head lights.  I'm hesitant to relocate the RAD due to it's high need for fresh air.

So my question is this: has anyone replaced the stock parts with a more efficient (and smaller) unit?   If so, what did you use?

any other thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Can’t move engine back?

I already will have to cut firewall and let part of the engine live in the cab (COE now lol?) likely one cylinder.  Too far back and the seat won't position in the cab right (too far from dash/lose space behind the seat/entrance and egress from the cab).  Plus I have to deal with the front fenders landing in the right spot to stay centered on the wheel and still marry up tot eh front clip and cab right.

kicked around ideas with the neighbor last night.

Gonna remove the firewall this weekend and put the cab where it needs to be and pull the rad/intercooler and bracket off and line things up.  2 electric fans on the rad and move the intercoolers to between the frame rails under the cab is the plan.  Maybe go to 4" pipes so the turbo lag isn't so bad since i'm going to REALLY be extending the pipes/hoses?

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

well hopefully I've got enough room now up front for the intercooler and a new rad (if I can find a thinner one) and put some electric fans on to help assist ---> with the doghouse sitting on the frame now and losing the stock fan I have about 5.5 inches to play with.  I still have to deal with the tranny cooler and the AC someplace.

If you do some research on the inner web, thier are some places that can build you an aluminum radiator to your measurements to make it fit good and you could even have one built with the top mounted resivour to keep the nostalgic look, the a/c condenser and innercooler could be mounted after radiator in a suitable location.

As stated above if your going with a manual trans, thier no need for the tranny cooler.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:30 PM, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

I thought this was going to be a manual transmission? Perhaps you're talking about the power steering cooler and not the trans cooler? 

hmmm, you might be right....I got a bit cut happy taking it down...  oops  :think:

• Haha 1