• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need HELP With Vulcan Intercooler Boots

I purchased these intercooler boots (VPMAX 94-02 Intercooler Boot Kit)  after discovering the fender lip had cut into the boots on the both sides at the intercooler, it happens!

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VPMAX-Intercooler-Boot-Kit-p/icb2.htm

They look really good. 

I'm having a bit of a battle getting the passenger side installed.  The whole assembly, when all the way seated, appears to be too long by about 1".

I'm attaching a few pix of where I am with it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

Edited by leety

• Staff

I would measure the amount of offset or over length and cut that much off.

I found the fender lip on the driver side starting to rub also and took some pliers and bent it over so the sharp edge is pointing away from the boot, leaving about 1/2'' clearance. I think channel lock pliers worked the best.

It looks as though the boot on the passenger side is about 3/4'' short. Am I seeing that right?

17 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I would measure the amount of offset or over length and cut that much off.

I found the fender lip on the driver side starting to rub also and took some pliers and bent it over so the sharp edge is pointing away from the boot, leaving about 1/2'' clearance. I think channel lock pliers worked the best.

It looks as though the boot on the passenger side is about 3/4'' short. Am I seeing that right?

Hi yes Eric told me to bend the fenders back on both sides with a large crescent wrench, which I did.  That worked out great!

Yea it seems like it's 3/4" to 1" too long overall.  So perhaps I just need to shorten one of the boots.  I just wasn't sure if I had things oriented wrong or was just doing something blond.

I could probably force the whole assembly in position but that doesn't seem like such a nice idea to me.

I guess what @JAG1 is thinking is in the last picture the reducing 90 needs to slip on some more. Not sure myself looks like it is on all the way. Anyway, cutting it to length would be the way to go. Should not hurt a thing. If there is any doubt Eric would ne sure to know.

• Like 1

• Owner

The set I got a while back fit just fine. Maybe things have changed? 

I just thought of something if you have some Home Depot orange degreaser spray the inside of the boots it will make them super slick. You should be able to shove the steel tube in deeper making up for the excessive length. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The set I got a while back fit just fine. Maybe things have changed? 

I just thought of something if you have some Home Depot orange degreaser spray the inside of the boots it will make them super slick. You should be able to shove the steel tube in deeper making up for the excessive length. 

Got it!  Yes I got ahold of Eric, good guy right there.  He said the dimensions can vary depending on the truck.  He said go ahead and force it.  So the hoses slipped over the 2nd hump in the tube.  All is well!

Thanks everyone for the tips.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

That's exactly what I did on mine too

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You should be able to shove the steel tube in deeper making up for the excessive length. 

2 hours ago, leety said:

So the hoses slipped over the 2nd hump in the tube.  All is well!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leety said:

A girls gota do what a girls gota do even if that means doing it in 3/4 rock

I just want to clarify that I'm not a girl :shifty:

Ha ha kidding I know you speak of your self, hats off to you madam. I can just picture my wife laying next to me under my tuck handing me tools .....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Get a couple sheets of cheap OSB board to lay on makes working on the truck much nicer than laying in 3/4" rock. 

I have a 4x4 with a low lying creeper.  Works great.  And ramps for lower cars.

5 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Ha ha kidding I know you speak of your self, hats off to you madam. I can just picture my wife laying next to me under my tuck handing me tools .....

I'm flying solo so no tool assistant.  Boy would that be nice!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leety said:

Man... isn't there any real man left out there or is it all keyboard warriors. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Get a couple sheets of cheap OSB board to lay on makes working on the truck much nicer than laying in 3/4" rock. 

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

8 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Me too. My wife has been known too.

11 minutes ago, leety said:

A girls gota do what a girls gota do even if that means doing it in 3/4 rock

As they say  You go girl.

• Like 2

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Man... isn't there any real man left out there or is it all keyboard warriors. 

:whistle: I'd consider myself a real man but no one is crazy enough to live where I do. Most say it looks pretty but when they realize it hard work to live out here. most people just :bolt: ...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

two pieces of 1/2" foam is much easier on this old man.

7 minutes ago, leety said:

ramps here for the Saturn.

grand children are a big help. Though the first time I dropped and re installed the NV5600 it was the wife's #5 shoe with a swift kick in the tail shaft that got it to seat against the bell housing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1