• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Additional Fuel Tank

Morning Gents,

As you guys might or might not know, I use my truck to tow my enclosed trailer out to the desert to ride in our dune buggy.  I just bought a new buggy that consumes QUITE a bit more fuel than the last one did.  I was getting away with 20 gallons/weekend, but this is not getting it any longer.  

so......... what Im looking for are options to take gas out with us.  

In a perfect world, it would be ~30 Gallons.

fit across the front of the bed under the rear window.

be removable, so I dont lose more space in an already too short bed when we are not out in the desert. 

have a pump & hose so I could fill up the buggy w/o having to transfer fuel from it to jugs to the buggy.

be super cheap, because Im a cheap ***.

I thought about another fuel tank that would go on the other side of the truck from the OEM Tank, however it occurred to me that the exhaust  is there & I kind of need to have that.  LOL.  

Ive never had anything like this, so anyone with practical experience would be appreciated.  it seems pretty straight forward, but ................  

thanks

Bob

I'd look at getting a fuel tank for the trailer. My dad's old toy hauler had one and it worked quite well, had a pump and hose with a nozzle that could be locked up so people couldn't steal your fuel. You wouldn't have to take it in and out of the bed every time that way either. I don't know where you would get a setup like that though, maybe ask around a few trailer/RV dealerships?

• Staff

Right now I've been traveling with either one or two 5 gallon fuel containers, depending on where I'm going.   I keep them in the bed behind the window and they have never been molested.  I just wonder if a fuel caddy would be a more appetizing target. 

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

Right now I've been traveling with either one or two 5 gallon fuel containers, depending on where I'm going.   I keep them in the bed behind the window and they have never been molested.  I just wonder if a fuel caddy would be a more appetizing target. 

We have friends that have had their cans stolen at the St. Anthony dunes in southern Idaho, thought about putting some water in some cheap cans and leaving them out.

• Haha 1

Stupid idea, but going back to your original idea you could but another tank across from the truck tank, you just need to rout the exhaust under the frame and to the outboard side of the frame. Then you can have a stack going through the bed.

That is what I did . I'm installing a 18gallon 1988-1997 ford 18gal fuel tank where the exhaust was.

A custom fuel tank would net an even higher fuel capacity.

Another option is to put a 30gal Ford Bronco fuel tank where the spare tire is.

Or you could get a steel transfer tank and just take it out when you don't need it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I have a  14 gallon Flow-N-Go Duramax that I've never used.  Been thinking about putting it in the bed of the truck and using it as a spare tank when I go on long trips.

5aa7245c86991_th2.jpg.4808d671807e74022ea3bc20346055a3.jpg

One of the race teams I worked on we had one just like that.  it worked well for a while, then it started getting cranky....  it was leaking @ the bottom where it comes out because of the hard bend it has to coil up the hose.  then we cut it & put it back in & then it would not prime because the pump in the handle was getting worn out.   Then it was leaking @ the fill cap because the gasket was getting cracked....  And it held enough gas that it was kind of hard to maneuver around with the smallish sized wheels.........  

12 hours ago, NorthernDodge said:

I'd look at getting a fuel tank for the trailer. My dad's old toy hauler had one and it worked quite well, had a pump and hose with a nozzle that could be locked up so people couldn't steal your fuel. You wouldn't have to take it in and out of the bed every time that way either. I don't know where you would get a setup like that though, maybe ask around a few trailer/RV dealerships?

that would be ideal, however Im already pushing it with the trailer........... its super old & I dont want to put another 300 Lbs into it.  Im trying to take weight out of it in fact.  

thanks again folks, I guess I will keep searching craigslist & offerup.  something is bound to come up.   

Edited by Bobalos

The pumps on the gas caddy are replaceable, 

Nothing wrong with a mounted transfer tank in the truck bed either, although a lot of tank manufactures say diesel fuel only and some are rated for both, I do not know what the difference of the tank construction is but I would say aluminum would be better for gas and as long as it is well ventilated and has a pump rated for gasoline you should be good. Check out norrhern tool for hand pumps that are rated for gas

If your cheap like I am, like on my trip to Moab next week with a trailer load of 4 atv’s. I just load em up and go to the gas station or carrry a few 5 gallon cans 

I went through 40 Gallons of fuel the last time we went out to the desert & we were 2 rides short of a full weekend.........  I need to carry it all in with me or its 3+ hours to go & get fuel............  Also the Highway patrol can give you grief if your "transporting fuel" & dont have the correct permits/license, so keeping it on the DL is a plus for me.  Im kind of pushing it as it is with 6 fuel jugs in the back of the truck.  IIRC 50 gallons, is the magic number.......  

@Ibmobile, the one that we had worked great for a little while..............  

Edited by Bobalos

• Staff
5 hours ago, Bobalos said:

the one that we had worked great for a little while..............  

How long is a little while.  I might just lay it down and strap it in the bed for this next trip.

7 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

like on my trip to Moab next week with a trailer load of 4 atv’s.

Off topic, I'll be stopping at Moab in April for a few days on my way to Des Moines.  Do you know of a good RV campground, with full hook ups, there?   I'll be dry camping in Capital Reef National Park for a few days before Moab.       

44 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

How long is a little while.  I might just lay it down and strap it in the bed for this next trip.

Off topic, I'll be stopping at Moab in April for a few days on my way to Des Moines.  Do you know of a good RV campground, with full hook ups, there?   I'll be dry camping in Capital Reef National Park for a few days before Moab.       

Arch View RV Park is where I usually stay if I want full hook up. It’s just a few miles north of Moab on 193.

Just don’t show up during the Easter Jeep  Safari, from March 24 - April 3. Things can get real crowded and crazy and RV spots next to impossible, any other date and you should be ok but I think I would still have reservations just in case. April Is a Popular time for 4 wheeling. Also canyon lands RV in town is nice if you want to be close to shopping and restaurants.

6 hours ago, Bobalos said:

IIRC 50 gallons, is the magic number.......  

With that amount I would look into a full size truck bed transfer tank that you can bolt down. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...