• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter turning slow

I have a 1999 Dodge 1 ton Cummins with 2002 engine showing 365K on the ODO.

The starter seems to be spinning too slow. 

Voltage regulator was out on the alternator so that was replaced. 

Batteries were 4 years old and store checked them failing their testing so they were replaced.

The starter speed hasn't changed with the new alternator and batteries.

The question is, do I get a reman starter from O'Reilly or AZ,  or rebuild the starter that I have?

The rebuild kit would be a little cheaper but more labor intensive.

Please weigh in with you opinions on the best way to go.

Thanks,

Les

Starter spinning to slow could be bad field windings

I had a year old napa starter that was spinning slow with new bats. Pulled the starter and napa tested it. Drawing to much amps/bad or broken field windings.

Napa gave me another new starter free . warranty

I should have kept my factory Denso starter

If the starter turning slow, and since you're in there, you might as well get the brush kit.  I recommend a small torch to do the soldering of the brush leads, rather than a soldering iron, you'll be waiting forever for it to flow.  Try to protect the brush sleeve with some fiberglass or aluminum foil.  Also, that old phenolic lead to the solenoid is very brittle by now, snapped mine right off trying to remove the wire.

Dodge Solenoid lead.jpg

Edited by GSX455
File too large

Thanks for the tips.

I have it removed and torn down. It is really dirty inside and I think the brushes are sticking a bit so I ordered the Larry B kit with brush kit included. I don't think this starter has ever been apart in 365K miles. Should take of things.

I'll update when I get it done.

• Like 1

Got the starter kit with contacts and brushes today and got it rebuilt and installed. This truck has never cranked over this fast in the 4 years I have owned it.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and guidance to help me get this done.

Now all I have to do is change the heater core. That's for another day.?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, lcattin said:

Got the starter kit with contacts and brushes today and got it rebuilt and installed. This truck has never cranked over this fast in the 4 years I have owned it.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and guidance to help me get this done.

Now all I have to do is change the heater core. That's for another day.?

How hard are they to rebuild?