• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil choices.

Killer223

Now i usually get what ever is on sale, with a preference for Valvoline, but i run Travellers from tractor supply as well.

on Friday i found some Mobil Delvac that is the good ol CI4+. and even found it locally. i'll be sending off a sample for a VOA, then changing oil in the 08 in a few weeks.

i'm liking the idea of a CI4+ and not a CK oil.

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/products/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-mx-f2

and for around $12 ish dollars a gallon, it's a great alternative i would think.

• Staff

Since my dad bought a '17 that won't be "modified" anytime soon I have been researching CJ vs CK vs CI oils lately. 

Aside from TBN CK oil is better than CI oil, and both put CJ oil to shame.. but we already knew CJ was junk oil. CJ was a stop gap oil for DPF's and the technology/time weren't there when it was developed to make it what it should have been. 

CK oil's appear to handle sheer and high temp situations slightly better than CI, but CI will last longer for extended intervals. The performance of the two is very similar and, unlike when CJ came out, people seem happy with the new standard. 

I'm even considering switching to the new CK Amsoil DME from the CI AME I run now. I've never had a low TBN issue and I do enough high temp/high load towing that I wouldn't mind a little more protection. 

So that being said... that Mobil MX F2 looks like good oil! It's got great high temp characteristics and decent low temp viscosity for a dino oil. It' won't deal with soot quite as well as a CK oil, but that shouldn't be an issue on your 08 and even then CI does very well with soot. 

I wonder if they just started making CI again?  

Yes it's new from what i can tell, as i've been searching for a good CI oil for a few years and have not been able to find any till recently.

my oil stays clean for the first 4-5K miles anyhow. so soot isn't an issue for me. i think the additive package in the older oils was better then the new stuff. i could be wrong though.

i don't do extend drains, usually going between 7500 and 10K miles on an oil. even at 10K Blackstone tells me my TBN was still mid 8's and i could easily go longer. This was with Valvoline 15/40.

• Staff

The only good CI oil for the last few years has been Amsoil but it's a little more money than Delvac. 

At least for Amsoil the additive package on the CK oils is better than CI, not by a lot, but better. 

It's good to see that oil out there. I'd like to see the UOA's when you get them done.

Speaking of UOA's... have you tried OAI Testing? I've had nothing but poor performance out of blackstones "consultants" and blackstone charges more to do a report with TBN. OAI was recommended to me by the local Cummins center. 

i have not, not even sure what OAI is. for when i think of OAI i think of open archive initiative, but that's not an oil thing. 

i'll look into it, i'm guessing they have kits like blackstone does? also that they do VOA as well as UOA

thanks for the heads up. 

• Staff
31 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Who is "they"? 

Mobil. 

The delvac he linked in the 1st post appears to be a new-production CI oil. 

34 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

begs the question, why would they start producing the CI+ again... 

Yeah I was wondering that too. 

Is it marketing for a niche market? Or is it better? 

I'd guess they gets lots of requests for a CI oil. 

• Staff
On 3/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, Killer223 said:

i wonder, what makes you conclude the CK is better then the CI, flow properties? thermal stability? far as i can see the additive package is lower.

Its from several conversations I've had with Amsoil, as well as other readings. 

Additive's are very similar, but the high temperature performance of CK is supposed to be slightly better. 

i get the high temp, but in these engines, is it really an issue? i know in my race engines i use a synthetic (Amsoil) even, as they work very heard. I just can't see that being an issue in my application. granted i don't have an oil temp gauge, but really don't see temp being an issue for 98% of users out there. 

at the price point i got this oil, and the fact they are making it again! i see me using lots of it in the future. plus i get free delivery on Tuesdays. 

i will be ordering some kits and doing a VOA and a UOA when the time comes. i have a few more trips before the 08 is ready for an oil change. at about 6800 right now. 

• Staff

I still suspect that Cummins went back to the 190° thermostat due to oil temp issues. They also added an oil temp gauge the same year they dropped the thermostat back down. 

I’m going to be installing an oil temp gauge this spring so I’ll let you know what happens when I tow. 

That being said I’ll take a CI oil over any CJ oil. I haven’t decided what I’ll run on my next change, but the future is looking good for CK. 

• 8 months later...

back to the CI oil thing, found another maker blending CI's agian.

even have a section for it.

https://www.phillips66lubricants.com/products/heavy-duty-engine-oil

i hope Valvoline reintroduces a Ci oil i have a gallon of the good stuff left. i'd stock up on another 100-200 gallons if they produced it again.

• 2 weeks later...