• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just want to say thanks in advance. This is my first post on here but have been a member for a while now. But I’m looking for some help and I have not tried searching all that much as my setup is different than most. For some reason I can’t get any better than 13mpg out of my truck. Truck info is in my sig. I am running 35x12.50 Toyo Mts on 20x10 Fuels. It has 3.55 gearing too. I am running the dd tune that’s for trucks with 50-150hp injectors but I have changed a couple things on it. Idk if it’s just the way things are setup but I hardly have any turbo lag and my truck runs good and hard but like I said I can’t for the life of me squeeze out any more than 13mpg. The truck is pretty hazy too under light acceleration. Any help is appreciated. Tune is uploaded in the pics. Thanks

7766812D-B09B-4574-986D-F2AA76EEE9A0.jpeg

E3DBCC65-16AF-4E7B-AF2D-D2B201E91C1E.jpeg

7593F81E-950B-42EB-86BD-796C8D68A9D7.jpeg

41E23BAD-EC66-41E7-BD93-2989BB59F1C9.jpeg

9F8AA945-E830-4CBC-BA10-B5C5B982C356.jpeg

2C038239-9F0F-4BAA-A3A5-6153495B8632.jpeg

F6FC7997-E3FB-46E6-9B32-A03D24F05C5A.jpeg

Edited by Tyler Stout
Changed some information

I don't know about the quad tuning, but those tires and wheels sure are not helping. The weight and circumfrance will knock the mileage of quick especially on the 3:55 gears. If you had to lift the truck at all because of them, there is another mileage detractor. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dripley said:

I don't know about the quad tuning, but those tires and wheels sure are not helping. The weight and circumfrance will knock the mileage of quick especially on the 3:55 gears. If you had to lift the truck at all because of them, there is another mileage detractor. 

Just has a leveling kit. Don’t know if that affects it or not. I know my tires and wheels don’t help but I swear I’ve either seen or heard of guys with the same size wheels and tires getting way better mileage so idk ??‍♀️

50 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

Set your minimum pump tap fueling percentage to 0 and ur tps pump minimum to 40 ur bringing 25 percent of wire tap in at all times that's why she's drinking if I'm correct u need to rely on canbuss fuel for daily and pump tap for play

Yea I’ve had it at 0, 5, and 10 and it didn’t seem to make a difference in mileage or how much it hazed under acceleration no matter where I put it ??‍♀️. But with my old engine(all stock), same gearing, tire size, and trans, I had an edge comp smarty stack with 50hp injectors and a II Phatshaft 62/65/12 and with both the smarty and Edge turned up all the way I was able to get 14-15mpg. I mean I’m not looking to get 20+ like others can get but 15-18 would be nice even though I didn’t build the truck for good fuel mileage, it’d still be nice to get better than what I’m getting now. Oh and I also, 95% of the time, run it on level 4 so it’s not like I have it cranked up all the time either. I have tried milder tunes with no increase in mileage as well. I haven’t tried any eco tunes yet as I like to have some power but still get decent mileage 

I have also built serval tunes for other guys that are pretty similar to that tune that get better mileage and have good results. Just at a loss right now haha. Also my egts like to stay around 850-1000 depending on headwinds and hills or flat ground

I am leveled on 35s and can pull 16 to 20 with 7x10s and a sxe 62 68 14 with my tune

I run about 850 to 1100 depending on the hill and rpm anything under 1500 rpm and I fall under the turbo but once I get her spooled I cant get over 1250 1300 egt idk man wore vp restrictive turbo bad injectors or tuning issues I also drive with a vary light foot when I'm going for distance and mileage 

• Like 1

Leaving it on lvl 4 all the time is still using wiretap, and 25% wiretap at a minimum is a lot.  Try running on level 3 for a while and see what your mileage is.  3 is CANBus fueling only, and uses the entire 0-30 psi range of fueling.  Your canbus fuel settings look pretty good for your mods, but if level 3 feels sluggish, you can bump those by 2% across the board as a start, and still control smoke very well.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

I am leveled on 35s and can pull 16 to 20 with 7x10s and a sxe 62 68 14 with my tune

I run about 850 to 1100 depending on the hill and rpm anything under 1500 rpm and I fall under the turbo but once I get her spooled I cant get over 1250 1300 egt idk man wore vp restrictive turbo bad injectors or tuning issues I also drive with a vary light foot when I'm going for distance and mileage 

I know it doesn’t mean that they still can’t be bad but injectors are brand new as of end of summer last year and had vp tested at the same time and it passed just fine. Turbo and lift pump are brand new as of last summer as well. That’s what I’m not understanding haha everything is new. Would you mind sending me the tune you run so I can compare it to mine and maybe even just try it to see if there’s something I missed tuning mine that’s hiding in plain sight or something lol

31 minutes ago, trreed said:

Leaving it on lvl 4 all the time is still using wiretap, and 25% wiretap at a minimum is a lot.  Try running on level 3 for a while and see what your mileage is.  3 is CANBus fueling only, and uses the entire 0-30 psi range of fueling.  Your canbus fuel settings look pretty good for your mods, but if level 3 feels sluggish, you can bump those by 2% across the board as a start, and still control smoke very well.

Yea I know level 4 is start of wire tap but I’ve tried talking with Quadzilla even and they told me they have been seeing best mileage results on levels 4-5. I know that every truck is different, obviously that’s why I’m here lol, but that’s what I was informed. Idk I guess I’ll try turning it to level 3 an see what happens. Like I said I didn’t build it for great mileage but I’m not pushing big fuel either and should definitely be able to get better than 13mpg. Even 15mpg would be nice and any more than that is a plus

run less timing then.  Do 17-19* in that area.  You are lugging the motor pretty good at those rpms + gearing + tires + leveling kit.    

Play with timing up and down and see if you can't get cruise egt's to fall some.   Most of your mileage gains are going to come from timing adjustment.  the truck needs XX fuel to move down the road so adjusting canbus fueling up and down is going to do squat to your mpg.  

wiretap can cause mileage loss as it is much harder to control.  at cruise you want %0 wiretap for mpg.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner
55 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

You are lugging the motor pretty good at those rpms + gearing + tires + leveling kit.

More you lean towards retard the easier it is to build power again. My 1,500 to 2,000 range dives of in timing rather quick to allow the timing to retard enough to build boost pressure and power again.

At 2,000 RPM (70 MPH) I'm at 19* of timing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

More you lean towards retard the easier it is to build power again. My 1,500 to 2,000 range dives of in timing rather quick to allow the timing to retard enough to build boost pressure and power again.

At 2,000 RPM (70 MPH) I'm at 19* of timing.

Ok I’ll pull some timing back a little and see what that does. Thank you

One thing that will help with fuel economy is where you fuel up. My truck gets 2mpg less at Sinclair ( I think is the name of it. the one with the green dinosaur) vs Philipps 66 non ethanol fuel. I know Fred Meyer uses Ethanol in their diesel.

• Like 1