• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I know I know, I have alot of posts on different subjects but I want to get everything lined out of this truck. I still haven't messed with the oil pan gasket and I need a front timing cover and tappet cover gasket aswell. I am curious of how to wire up a relay for the headlights on my 1998 dodge. Its not a sport model it originally had the 9004 lights in it but recently got some aftermarket cleared lens with projector. It has a dual beam setup but still uses the 9004 plug. Works great! I am gunna do the high low mod and have both on at once by using the wire splice under the steering wheel and want to take load of switch aswell so I want to add a relay to driver and passenger side. How do I go about doing this.

I know I know, I have alot of posts on different subjects but I want to get everything lined out of this truck. I still haven't messed with the oil pan gasket and I need a front timing cover and tappet cover gasket aswell. I am curious of how to wire up a relay for the headlights on my 1998 dodge. Its not a sport model it originally had the 9004 lights in it but recently got some aftermarket cleared lens with projector. It has a dual beam setup but still uses the 9004 plug. Works great! I am gunna do the high low mod and have both on at once by using the wire splice under the steering wheel and want to take load of switch aswell so I want to add a relay to driver and passenger side. How do I go about doing this.

• Owner

I'll tell you my personal experience that it's not worth the effort. You'll need 4 relays and 2 fuse. Each low beam will need a relay hooked up to a 85 and 86 terminal. Then each hi beam will need a relay hooked up to a 85 and 86 terminal. Mind you that common in the headlight is +12V not GROUND. The low and high beam legs are GROUND!

Then the pin 30 all get a fuse. Then the 87 pin all get the proper bulb position (hi or lo) the bulb common will be to GROUND. This relay setup converts from common +12V to common ground. 

After I ran this setup for a year I ended up removing the headlights and selling on the classified ads then buying a set of Morimoto HIDs and never looked back. The problem with the sport heradlights is the reflectors have a very narrow path and don't light up much. The secondary bulb is even worse its a very tall but narrow band of light. Main bulbs are OK (meh) but scatter light over a wide area but dim. 

Then gave up after a year...

Then added PIAA Led driving lights...

I hate to say it my current setup puts stock sport headlights to shame. (Even with the relay mod)

• Like 1

I don't have stock sport headlights and these aftermarket lights are 10x better on dim and probably 2x better than y high beams. And I had just bought brand new stock lenses before i did this. So I know they lights are actually better and just not hazed over. I just want to hook up a relay so the headlight switch wouldn't go out. From that picture on that bottom post, I have cheapo Chinese halogen bulbs and they almost as bright as that now. After I get leds im sure they'll be just as bright. 

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Waydin_Stewart said:

After I get leds im sure they'll be just as bright. 

Personally, Don't Do It... LED headlights will blind everyone. Beam pattern is typically really poor with LED's. If you want brighter lights you'll have to look towards the HID's. LED's have got a bad reputation for poor beam pattern and blinding people. I've seen a huge increase of people buying cheap LED headlight I end up high beam most of them because of the crappy beam pattern.

3 minutes ago, Waydin_Stewart said:

I have cheapo Chinese halogen bulbs and they almost as bright as that now.

Typical 55/60W halogens are safe and won't blind anyone. You'll need a relay kit. 

Image result for dodge ram sport headlight relay

Now this is a quality headlight. Crisp cut off line and steps down on the on coming side of the highway. You not going to get this quality with a LED headlight period. 

20151117_180930.jpg

My projectors do that. Have step down and very crisp line? And I am getting auxbeam leds not cheap ones. I don't trust really cheap stuff. Ill try to figure out how that wiring diagram works and install some relays. Could I just install one relay behind headlight switch?