• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange Sound near passenger side block

The valves usually do not have issues on a cummins but the 24 valves did have valve seat issues some times. The seats would come loose in the head and they can crack and pound out or fall out. Then if it gets bad enough the valve can break and hit the piston and cause all sorts of carnage inside the cylinder.

• Like 1

Hi mate Yes - it could have been that rather than the valve itelf - to be honest I didn't fully understand the issue exactly with the valve apart from that it was the exhaust valve If the seal or seat is bad - assume they need to be pulled and rebuilt/checked and clearances etc ? i.e - no point 2nd guessing mechanic in hope its just a valve adjustment issue or something more simple - and better to have him pull the valves and reseat and check head/cylinders whilst head is off ?

thx

:shrug: Someone at CF said 2001 didn't have the valve seat ?? Wondering if worth doing a compression test prior to pulling the head ??? Any ideas of time this takes and approx costs at mechanic ??? I heard there is diff types of compression test also ..... ??? thoughts ?? Really don;t want to spend a $1000 doing head/valve work and find out its something else.

Yeahsomeone said the 01 didn;t have the seat - its machined into the cylinder and thats where its 'seats'.something like thatwhich was making me thnk - what are chances valve is gone ?Anyway - not much more I can do - mechanic has it - and he is gonna check the lash adjustment I did (clearances), the rockers and so forth and then move down until he takes the head and gets to the valves etc I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically the took the head off after checking manifold and rechecking my valve adjustment to be sure it was all good. Said it was a burnt valve- $1000 between labor parts - not sure exactly what they are doing - in terms of it has to be machined or something - but not sure if thats the valve exactly (i.e 1 valve) or all of them ....... So whilst he's got the truck for like 2-3 weeks - gettingNew passenger side balljoints (a little play)RV275 injectorsThuren front coils and 4x bilstein 5100'sDerale Tranny coolerwhat the heck - its only $$ - this truck may kill me in 1 year from now - :lmao2:Will keep posted when I find out more details on the valve job (specifics).

Oh man... :spend: (Got deep pockets?)

yeah - tell me about it. The valve stuff I had not much choice on. The rest is mainly because we are going to sell our SUV and then this will be our daily driver - hoping the coils/bilsteins add a little extra ride. Would say most people 80% are for a good improvement and 20% for little/no improvement on shocks alone - so see how it ends up. Injectors - well secretly I always wanted to put in some ...... so with head off it seemed a good choice - and since you run RV275's - if I can get an extra 1mpg - then that will do - but hopefully saves me from addressing that at any stage later with 120k miles. The tranny cooler - well she runs well right now (when I have her) after the tranny work - staying around 160-17 degrees on HOT line when I am locked up. But as soon as I start/stop in 100 degree heat - it gets up to 220-240 pretty quick - so tranny cooler on way - and I can do that bit :) Yeah - its been a hell of an experience - probably hardest thing I have had to come to terms with and try and learn ........ but this forum made it possible - rocks - great advice and guys. And at the end - I still need to get this truck to alaska as well as a pass-through to idaho to drink a beer and catch a fish with you - sometime - somewhere :) keep u posted. (Mike - can u put up a second link - donations to johns truck ?? That would work/help. *joke*):tease: ciao

• Owner

Injectors - well secretly I always wanted to put in some ...... so with head off it seemed a good choice - and since you run RV275's - if I can get an extra 1mpg - then that will do - but hopefully saves me from addressing that at any stage later with 120k miles.

As for the injectors there are many people that get 200-300K miles on a set of injectors without much issues.

(Mike - can u put up a second link - donations to johns truck ?? That would work/help. *joke*):tease:

I could but I don't think you'll get much hits... :shrug::rolleyes:

And at the end - I still need to get this truck to alaska as well as a pass-through to idaho to drink a beer and catch a fish with you - sometime - somewhere :)

I'd love to... Just let me know and I'll keep a eye on the fishing holes... :smart:post-2-13869816739_thumb.jpg

As for the injectors there are many people that get 200-300K miles on a set of injectors without much issue

yeah but now I have excuse for new ones - so they are on the way.

I could but I don't think you'll get much hits... :shrug::rolleyes:

sadly your probably right :lmao:

I'd love to... Just let me know and I'll keep a eye on the fishing holes... :smart:

Anything like this ? post-10132-138698167416_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

--update -- Well truck back. Coils and suspension ok - see other thread. The head had to come off and be machined/cleaned back I think where the valve seats on/in the head. The valves or the parts the valves run between (guides ?) were also replaced. So the sound is gone - which is main thing - unsure how it really happened though as the truck was previously stock (no TAP to injection pump) as far as I could tell, and no egt monitor or otehr monitors. Now I just need to get my derale cooler in - still noticing my hot line gets to 230 degrees if lots of start/stop traffic with the 3x disk TC. AS soon as it locks up she drops back down to like 170-180 and steady. Cool line stays around 150-180. Longer term still not sure I am not in for a tranny - keeping an eye out for good shops. If you guys know any coastal ones - I will be travelling from FL to TX/AZ/CA over the next couple months - let me know idea of reliability/price. Already have the 3x TC and upgraded VB (shift kit). SO just need to core with seals/clutches/bands/hard parts etc :thumbup2:

I would suggest bypassing the heat exchanger on the side of the block if it never sees cold weather and with the amount of stop and go traffic you do. It is doing nothing for you but adding heat to the tranny oil. The heat exchanger on passenger side of block help warm the tranny oil faster in cold weather but has little effect on it in hot weather. My suggestion is to bypass it and add the cooler you want to.

I would suggest bypassing the heat exchanger on the side of the block if it never sees cold weather and with the amount of stop and go traffic you do. It is doing nothing for you but adding heat to the tranny oil. The heat exchanger on passenger side of block help warm the tranny oil faster in cold weather but has little effect on it in hot weather. My suggestion is to bypass it and add the cooler you want to.

Hey mate - where u been ? MIA !!! lmao yeah - I have seen a write-up on that at CF somwhere. Only problem is I will be heading to alaska ...... so I might need it :) Any idea of how many degrees it adds ?? Assuming its stops adding heat once it reaches certain temp ? Not real sure if its the tranny - or if its just the low stall 3x disk. I kinda have the heat - but it rises most in 2-3rd and especially when at complete stop with no airflow over the cooler - hence the derale as auxilliary cooler. The tranny itself has a weird 2nd-3rd delayed shift at times - around 2000 rpm I think ............ again though not sure if this is due to the 3x disk ..... or if I need to look at the TV cable or something. Its not persistent or noticeable enough to be able to diagnose much more than that - so considering just keep on driving her until it gets worse/more defined. In mean time cooler will go on to engage fan at 180 or via maually controlled 12v switch.