• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

FNG w/ a 02 24v W/ CODES

Evening Ya'll,

1st things 1st, THANK YOU MIKE! THIS SITE ROCKS! I've been using this as my service help for the last few weeks.

I picked up a 2002 Ram 2500 SLT, Automatic, 4x4, short bed. Got what I thought was a good deal. I drove it 150 miles home, it was a DOG. I pulled 2 codes, P0112 (IAT v low) and P0237 (MAP v low). Using Mike's trouble shooting guides for the above DTC codes, after much wire tracing, ground cleaning, and testing both sensors are good along with the corresponding wiring..The ECM was bad. 

OK...FAST FORWARD to the 14th of March. My new (rebuilt) ECM came in, programmed ready to go. Installed the ECM, hooked up two fulled charged batteries, and proceeded to do the APP reset. Started the truck, idled well, CEL is on. Scanned the truck, these are new code that I have never had before. I got  P0122 (APPS/TPS v sig. v low) and P0236 (MAP too High to Long). Again following Mikes guides, The TPS looks good.

The throttle is idle or WO, no matter the position of the throttle. I monitored the APP voltage, the was a clean gradual increase, no jumping. I'm at about .560v at idle, as I press the throttle the APP voltage at the PCM #23 sweeps nicely, when the voltage hits about .83x the engine goes WO. Here the video from this morning. 

I look forward to the the knowledge gained. Semper Fi.

Hoss 

Evening Ya'll,

1st things 1st, THANK YOU MIKE! THIS SITE ROCKS! I've been using this as my service help for the last few weeks.

I picked up a 2002 Ram 2500 SLT, Automatic, 4x4, short bed. Got what I thought was a good deal. I drove it 150 miles home, it was a DOG. I pulled 2 codes, P0112 (IAT v low) and P0237 (MAP v low). Using Mike's trouble shooting guides for the above DTC codes, after much wire tracing, ground cleaning, and testing both sensors are good along with the corresponding wiring..The ECM was bad. 

OK...FAST FORWARD to the 14th of March. My new (rebuilt) ECM came in, programmed ready to go. Installed the ECM, hooked up two fulled charged batteries, and proceeded to do the APP reset. Started the truck, idled well, CEL is on. Scanned the truck, these are new code that I have never had before. I got  P0122 (APPS/TPS v sig. v low) and P0236 (MAP too High to Long). Again following Mikes guides, The TPS looks good.

The throttle is idle or WO, no matter the position of the throttle. I monitored the APP voltage, the was a clean gradual increase, no jumping. I'm at about .560v at idle, as I press the throttle the APP voltage at the PCM #23 sweeps nicely, when the voltage hits about .83x the engine goes WO. Here the video from this morning. 

Hoss 

Evening Ya'll,

Hoss 

Evening Ya'll,

Hoss 

Evening Ya'll,

Hoss 

Evening Ya'll,

I picked up a 2002 Ram 2500 SLT, Automatic, 4x4, short bed. Got what I thought was a good deal. I drove it 150 miles home, it was a DOG. I have 16+ psi after the filter and lift pump. The PO had replaced the IP and lift pump sometime in the near past. The I pulled 2 codes, P0112 (IAT v low) and P0237 (MAP v low). Using Mike's trouble shooting guides for the above DTC codes, after much wire tracing, ground cleaning, and testing both sensors are good along with the corresponding wiring..The ECM was bad. 

OK...FAST FORWARD to the 14th of March. My new (rebuilt) ECM came in, programmed ready to go. Installed the ECM, hooked up two fulled charged batteries, and proceeded to do the APP reset. Started the truck, idled well, CEL is on. Scanned the truck, these are new code that I have never had before. I got  P0122 (APPS/TPS v sig. v low) and P0236 (MAP too High to Long). Again following Mikes guides, The TPS looks good, I had not got into the P0237 yet. I call the company I got the ECM from.

Hoss 

Edited by Ho$$

• Owner

First thing... Go do the alternator AC noise testing... Also get rid of that tinfoil. 

Before Testing - IMPORTANT PLEASE DO NOT SKIP!

Before doing any testing of the alternator for AC noise, make sure to remove any and all wiring modifications. Return the electrical system back to stock. Make sure there is no extra grounds, relocation of ground wires or noise filters installed before testing the alternator. It has been brought to my attention that wiring mods can and will provide false passing grades for the alternator. The entire electrical system should be left stock and unmodified so you (the owner) are alerted sooner to impending alternator failure. Stock system will show AC noise issues much sooner than modified system which will mask the issue and then typically cause damage to ECM, PCM or VP44 sooner.

LoL. I ditch the foil. I attempted to induce exaggerated AC noise after doing the AC noise test, with nothing remarkable to report.  I followed your article and video, My resulted were with in the guidelines in your video.

I only modified wiring was the POs lift pump, install. 

Edited by Ho$$

• Owner

Typically ECM issues stem back from failed alternators. The tin foil was the clue that someone had issues with the alternator and the excessive AC noise wiped out the ECM. As for the throttle issue currently that is still a ECM issue as far as I know of. Need to have a live data tool and watch the TPS signal and see if it goes from 0 to 100% as you watch the voltage. I'm going to bet the voltage hit that 0.8xx mark again and the TPS goes 100%. What is happening is the APPS drop off the IVS (Idle Validation Switch) from IDLE mode to THROTTLING and the ECM only sees 100% throttle. Soon as you drop back to IDLE IVS the ECM drops the APPS sensor and uses only ECM software. Since you shown the voltage is not out of hand that means there is a ECM internal issue so far. 

Warranty work...

I will plug in my scanner in the AM and check that out. I'm working with the fellow that I got the ECM from, he is having me over night it back to him. There might have been a issue with the programming? The ABS light and new code are a clue I guess. So far a stand-up guy. I will keep you informed as to the goings on. Thank you for all the help!

I ran a live scan from the OBDII port, along with a VOM on the APPs @ the PCM. The VOM reading were identical to the video I posted yesterday, so to spare you that again, I recorded the OBDII readings. There isn't the TPS jump that we were expecting to see. I has hoping, that way I would have a idea of what it was.

the TPS hits about 12-14% then it goes WOT, verified the voltage  (.8xx) reading from my helper watching the VOM under the hood.

Any ideas?

Looks like the ECM is reading right also. Any thoughts? I will add my ECM Rebuilder to the list once this issue is put to bed. I am overnighting him back the ECM now.

I am leaning more towards a programming issue. One of the first things that tipped me off was when I plugged in the ECM initially and powered the truck up, did my app relearn, plugged my scanner in. My scanner could not Auto ID the truck anymore, along with new issues I've never had before, such as an ABS light, and these issues I'm dealing with now. The positive side, the guy I bought from is a stand up guy so far.

Edited by Ho$$

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Ho$$ said:

I am leaning more towards a programming issue. One of the first things that tipped me off was when I plugged in the ECM initially and powered the truck up, did my app relearn, plugged my scanner in. My scanner could not Auto ID the truck anymore, along with new issues I've never had before, such as an ABS light, and these issues I'm dealing with now.

Yeah, there is something wrong with the ECM. Could be software internal issue (solder joint) etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got my replacement, for my replacement ECM on Friday. They verified there was no issue on my end, the ECM hardware is 100%, no issue with the ECM itself.  It was flashed with the wrong firmware. Any ways, three days later, the truck runs like a rape ape. :burnout:

Things were going GREAT...Then she started riding the cotton pony... A trans cooler line start leaked pretty bad on the test run. Never leaked before... I cut it with a small hand held pipe roll cutter, some 1/2" high pressure trans hose, and a couple nice constant contact clamps and it's holding OK. I did clean the tube, roughed up tubing, and gave it a slight flare, it is holding well enough until new Hardline come in 2 days. 

The truck pulls HARD. Much faster then my previous experiences. Now I know the VP is new(er) as is the lift, I'm pretty sure the pump is hotter than stock. Is there a way to verify? 4" all the way back and BHAF, She blows a little black for a second when I first stomp on it. 

This thing would have killed my 94 F250 (Factory turbo IDI, big moose pump, injectors, big turbo, ATS trans)

But I digress,The company I used was nothing but helpful and apologetic for the issue. Would I do business with him again, yes. I found him on eBay, he is out of Indiana, it's called Crites Car Computers. He rebuilds, and test each one. My truck is kind of an oddball as an O2, everything on my truck says it was build and sold in Mexico. It was taken to Texas later in life. Now it live with me in FL.