• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ground Reference VP44,ECM,PCM,PDC plus TC lock/unlock

• Owner

From seeing @IBMobile truck most of it is small hardware like ring terminals and a bolt. Now IBMobile did buy fresh cable for the alternator and the ground strap. You can recycle the old ground cable and the old charge lead just as well. So basically the section of cable you chop off at the splice you can reuse for the ground strap from the bolt under the VP44 to the Driver side battery. The old charge lead can be shortened up and reused from the alternator to the passenger side battery to the positive terminal. Again this comes down to the bolt for the ground terminal under the VP44, ring terminals, at the most if you opt for larger cable then length of cable. 

I did not. I already had most of what I needed on hand. The only things I did not have was 5' of #4 wire to tie the battery grounds together with ring terminals and clamps to clamp it to the radiator. I just attached them to the bolts that hold the B+ cable. You will also need some more clamps to replace the ones on the block that will be to large after removing the charge wire to the PDC or not, your preference. I replaced the loom with smaller loom, you would not have to.They have them at Lowes cheaper than the parts store but then again I dont have to drive 40 miles to get there.

Some of the parts depend on what you have under the hood. I have military style terminal ends with 3/8 bolts, the stock ends have 5/16 bolts. If you look over the process and then compare to what you have the list should be reasonably easy to do, though I did have to do some :think:. I did reuse some of the wire I removed. Stripped it back and it was as shiny as it was new. Check the insulation for any damage also.

Edited by dripley

Did the ground mod this weekend, actually just now. Thanks a lot, I feel like it made a good difference. Lockup is a bit smoother now, but Im still getting some shuttering overall, unfortunately (even after a new TC). I put the 4 ground wires in a 6ga lug that I got at Lowes, put flux in there and used rosin core solder and a bit of map gas to solder it. That was after crimping it with a $37 hydraulic 10ton crimper from Amazon, delivered on Sunday. Then UL spec heat shrink to keep the moisture out.

One thing I also did was put a 4ga cable from the alternator to the aux battery, as suggested in this write up. My stock charging cable looked fried. I noticed my batteries are now reading 13.2v on my Fluke, with the truck off at rest. The truck was driven for roughly 45 minutes with this new charging cable configuration. In the past its always sat at 12.7-12.8v at rest whilst off. I keep a keen eye on my batteries and charging rates after problems in the past. Its 13.6v-13.7v whilst driving on the quadzilla/ecm readout. Perhaps the batteries are being overcharged, now?

Edited by rogerash0

I did, but I didn't write it down is the problem. My instincts tell me the ac is less because the highest reading I got with the stereo on, becsuse I can't turn it off, measured at the back of the alt was .012vac. Before I tested it off the back of the alt and I got .040vac, I remember that now because it matched what the sticker spec'd out as ac ripple exactly. Only thing is I can't remember if .040vac was measured with a hot hot engine like the .012vac reading was read just now. And my batteries read the same voltage at rest in the winter and summer here. It's just when it's real cold I see up to 14.3v charging rates whilst driving. They still don't read 13v+ while at rest with the truck off. (They shouldn't, but they are now). Previous to running the new charging line they read a perfect 12.8v. I will go re-measure again now just to be sure.

Edited by rogerash0

I tested mine at the alt and the batteries before and after and it dropped from .035 before to .010 after. I was not expecting that. I think your diodes are already in tough shape it wont make that big a difference. I have also had my grid heaters disconnected for the past 2.5 years. Might have helped.

So how about anyone else that does this, check you before and after ac voltage to compare. 

I did this mod yesterday as well while dodging rain drops.  I have not run a ground between each battery yet. My ac ripple was 0.03 before and 0.015 after. A big thanks to @W-T for his knowledge and brain storming this mod.

Been doing a lot of maintenance in the past week or so as I am driving up to NY next week.  I wanted to make sure that it's in the best shape as possible.  I do believe this will be the longest trip the Silvermoose has ever been on. My brother the po kept it local.

L8tr

D

Edited by SilverMoose

28 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I need the simplified version of this write up lol

I’d be curious to see how much mine would drop if at all since I’ve already upgraded all my major cables.

I did the mod after replacing all of my stock cables. 2/0 welding cable for them all about 10 or so months ago. Did not see any drop after that until the mod. Still surprised at the drop I saw after the mod.

Not trying to beat anyone up but I, the president of the electrically challenged club, was able to do this without much trouble. I started, after reading @W-T post, at the alternator and just worked my way back. Did some re reading and took my time. Fairly easy, all the steps are there.

Edited by dripley

Thanks @dripley I’m now offended and don’t know what to do with myself!! :mad:

Kidding of course! I’ll have to do the same one of these days. Last I checked my AC I was around the numbers you guys were seeing post mod so I’ll check again here soon and go from there on whether I do the mod or hold off.

3 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Thanks @dripley I’m now offended and don’t know what to do with myself!! :mad:

Kidding of course! I’ll have to do the same one of these days. Last I checked my AC I was around the numbers you guys were seeing post mod so I’ll check again here soon and go from there on whether I do the mod or hold off.

No offense meant either. Took a lot of thinking for me to start cutting on the truck, but it turned out good. Good luck with your thoughts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dripley said:

No offense meant either. Took a lot of thinking for me to start cutting on the truck, but it turned out good. Good luck with your thoughts.

Im just giving you a hard time @dripley! I’ll let you know how it goes once I get it done!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I finally got around to cleaning up the ground wire splices for the PCM this week end.  It's not hard and took very little time to do. 

NOTE: Do this after the other modifications have been done or you will lose the ECM, VP and grid heater grounds. 

You need:

2  10-12 gauge butt connectors 

2  1/4 heat shrink tube  2" long

rosin core solder 

140 watt solder gun (Weller) or small butane torch

roll of electrical tape

razer knife

wire cutters

wire striper

Remove air cleaner housing this will open up the whole area to work in.

No need to disconnect the batteries, just unplug the gray connector at the ground wires of the right (AUX) battery. The other gray connector has already been disconnected when the ground wires were relocated to the back of the timing cover.

Disconnect the 3 plugs at the PCM

Cut and strip the 8 gauge wire then cut the connector off  the 10 gauge wire and strip it back to fit the butt connector. 

IMG_3650.JPG.9b058a1be2fe29e6c694f6b51f085941.JPG

This is the connection with the cove off.  This is splice #S109 that the grounds for the ECM, PCM, VP44, grid heater relay and data link connector.

IMG_3651.JPG.be520e0ef602c8ff2eb7c5abdf693c17.JPG

Slide the heat shrink on to the wire were it won't be affected by the heat of soldering.

Remove any plastic covering on the butt connector, insert the wires into the connector and solder.  Let cool then cove with the heat shrink.  

IMG_3652.JPG.601c14654dfddd62d4beb9e85995e8bc.JPG

At the PCM find the two 14 gauge black with tan stripe wires.  They go up into the split wire cover about 10" that's were you'll find splice #S126 

There are two 14 gauge black with tan strip wires coming down to the connector. One is the ground for the data link connector and the other is not used.  

IMG_3643.JPG.6688f72626e3fc9056e2a30e49bfc81a.JPG

Repeat the cut, strip and solder process as above. IMG_3648.JPG.64be1a7d58d66f7dd52a1d56e75bf47c.JPG

When done it should look like this.

IMG_3653.JPG.f9fcdaa8f6d8c3a75b1de0ab012783d7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see that one @IBMobile. I have yet to get to it. As with the others it looks quite simple. 

You reckon they let @W-T retire or just chained him to his desk?  I know they tried to chain me when I went to my 20th anniversary party a couple months ago. 

Appreciate the photos.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:55 PM, dripley said:

I tested mine at the alt and the batteries before and after and it dropped from .035 before to .010 after. I was not expecting that. I think your diodes are already in tough shape it wont make that big a difference. I have also had my grid heaters disconnected for the past 2.5 years. Might have helped.

So how about anyone else that does this, check you before and after ac voltage to compare. 

I did this mod a while back, but just got to testing it again yesterday. Results are truly amazing. I went from. 037 to.018 pretty much got cut in a half. 

Now I'm going to look for free time to do what @IBMobile did with ground splices closer to ECM.

Edited by JAG1

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I did this mod a while back, but just got to testing it again yesterday. Results are truly amazing. I went from. 037 to.018 pretty much got cut in a half. 

Now I'm going to look for free time to do what @IBMobile did with ground splices closer to ECM.

Me too. It seems that some yard work is getting in the way.

On a different note Mr DF, I got some of those Bars Leak tablets and my weeping head gasket is dry. Thanks for the link, this will buy me a little time.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1