• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I’m throwing around the idea of swapping 4:10s for 3:73s to grab lower rpms and higher mpgs. Anyone here ever done it? Is it something that could be done myself or need to be taken to a shop? At that ratio difference is a new carrier necessary? Easiest way seems to swap entire front and rear end but it’s hard to find someone near me with what I want lol. :whistle:

2 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

TO much work and money for a 9% gear change. not a good ideal.

I have heard that bigger tires with 4:10s will actually increase mpg and lower rpms. Is this true? Normally big tires will greatly reduce mpg. Also big tires will reduce life of front end parts... :doh:

Unless you have something odd on your truck you should have 3:55's on there. What rpm are you seeing at 70 mph? Mine sees 2000 rpm at 70 with 3:55 gears and 265 75 16's. 

Your 285's ought to run a little lower than mine,

Edited by dripley

53 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

They ARe 4:10s. 2k at 60 Mph. 

I re reasd and stand corrected. May be I had too much coffee this morning. 

This does make better sense than what I thought you were trying to do. 

• Staff

It will take tens of thousands of miles, or more, to offset the cost for just a mpg gain even if you do the work yourself. If you were to go from 14 to 16 mpg the CPM would be reduced by less the 0.03/mile at 3.00/gal. If you did the gear swap for $1000 it would take 33K miles to cover the cost. In my research for swapping from 3.73 to 4.10, for towing purposes, it would cost closer to $3K to do the swap and that would take 100K miles to recoup the cost. Going from 16 to 18 mpg would would be a 0.02/mile savings and thus take 150% longer to pay off. 

I think a 2mpg gain is unrealistically high... basically it's not going to save you any money unless you plan to put 250K more miles on the truck. 

If you've never setup gears before, which I gather you haven't, I wouldn't do it yourself. 

Go with a taller and skinnier tire on your next set, it will reduce rpms without a large increase in rolling resistance/weight. 

A 255/85R16 would be a 5% reduction in rpms over a 265/75R16, which is just over 1/2 of the change you would get with a gear swap. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It will take tens of thousands of miles, or more, to offset the cost for just a mpg gain even if you do the work yourself. If you were to go from 14 to 16 mpg the CPM would be reduced by less the 0.03/mile at 3.00/gal. If you did the gear swap for $1000 it would take 33K miles to cover the cost. In my research for swapping from 3.73 to 4.10, for towing purposes, it would cost closer to $3K to do the swap and that would take 100K miles to recoup the cost. Going from 16 to 18 mpg would would be a 0.02/mile savings and thus take 150% longer to pay off. 

I think a 2mpg gain is unrealistically high... basically it's not going to save you any money unless you plan to put 250K more miles on the truck. 

If you've never setup gears before, which I gather you haven't, I wouldn't do it yourself. 

Go with a taller and skinnier tire on your next set, it will reduce rpms without a large increase in rolling resistance/weight. 

A 255/85R16 would be a 5% reduction in rpms over a 265/75R16, which is just over 1/2 of the change you would get with a gear swap. 

Thanks for this! What’s the recommendation for tire size on 4:10s? Besides 255/85/16. 

3 hours ago, dripley said:

I re reasd and stand corrected. May be I had too much coffee this morning. 

This does make better sense than what I thought you were trying to do. 

All good buddy! 

• Staff

Tall and skinny is the best way to drop rpms without drastically increasing the unsprung weight. 285/75R17 would also be a decent size, but they will be a bit heavier than the 255 series tires. 

IMHO 315' wouldn't be a good choice, as they are heavier and wider, both of which will increase the power required to spin them. 

Edited by AH64ID

Just now, AH64ID said:

Tall and skinny is the best way to drop rpms without drastically increasing the unsprung weight. 285/75R17 would also be a decent size, but they will be a bit heavier than the 255 series tires. 

Gotcha. Currently have 285/75/16s. I would like to have a lighter yet taller tire. 

• Staff
34 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Gotcha. Currently have 285/75/16s. I would like to have a lighter yet taller tire. 

If that's the size you currently run you aren't going to see much difference then. That's already an oversized tire and I can't think of anything that is taller without getting very heavy. A 315 is going to be about 130% the weight for a 4% reduction in rpm. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

If that's the size you currently run you aren't going to see much difference then. That's already an oversized tire and I can't think of anything that is taller without getting very heavy. A 315 is going to be about 130% the weight for a 4% reduction in rpm. 

Anyone know what rpm I would be running with 265s?

Mine came stock with the 265's and I see 2000 rpm at 70. Google "tire calculator" and you can compare sizes. You can get taller but you will have to get a lot skinnier to even come close to the same weight even if it is possible. New wheels would be in order also.

30 minutes ago, dripley said:

Mine came stock with the 265's and I see 2000 rpm at 70. Google "tire calculator" and you can compare sizes. You can get taller but you will have to get a lot skinnier to even come close to the same weight even if it is possible. New wheels would be in order also.

You have 3:55 or 3:73?