• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

bucking in drive and OD

mossyoak71

I have been trying to get the bucking out of my truck. It is driving me crazy and i just found out how to do a datalog. It seems to be getting worse over time, and I'm at a loss for what to do. Can someone look at this datalog and tell me 1) what is going on and 2) how to try and remedy it. Thanks for any help.

iQuad-2018-03-18-07.06.211972471670.csv

Ok, so I took some pictures of when it does it. This is the tune that you sent me, which I had to start it at 80 instead of 70 because it would die when I pressed the pedal. Also cruising along at 70+ and stab the pedal and when the wire tap comes in it really bucks. I attached the pictures and the tune.  Now the street tune that I attached will buck at all rpms above 1500. But when you stab the pedal, it will get up an go. Wiretap will cause slight bucking. This is the tune I made with the tune program. All the tunes that I have done with it will buck. So I just want to know where I am going wrong.

iQuad-scott1-2017-12-07-04.06.45608484781.json

IMG_20180319_184317204.jpg

IMG_20180319_184016328.jpg

streettune.json

Both of those images have TPS at %20.  Is it bucking in the images?

It sounds like too much timing,  try adding 1* of timing to fuel load timing

also drop your 1500 rpm timing setting to 16* and the 2k down to 18.5* and reduce you light throttle timing down to 1 or 1.5 *.  You are ending up with a ton of timing at light throttle in the 1500, 2k area

I dont think your truck likes timing as much as most do.  Was there something "special" about your setup?  pistons or somehting?

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1

Nothing special, just what is in my signature. Like I said, I have been banging my head, and it hurts. So I will try that. The only thing special is the fact that it's in a Ford, mated to the 5R110W, and 3:73 gears. I just wonder if the ratios in the transmission have anything to do with it. When you say fuel load timing, what is that, cause I don't see it in the quad?

Edited by mossyoak71
Question

So the other tune seems to be working good. Could it also be that the gear ratio in the Ford automatic is different than the Dodge. I know when the engine gets lugged down in slow traffic it will buck. I'm still working with DCS on the tranny tuning. 

• Owner
On 3/20/2018 at 7:32 PM, mossyoak71 said:

I know when the engine gets lugged down in slow traffic it will buck.

Between working with the 1,500 RPM timing band, max load timing offset, and low psi timing reduct these 3 setting can get rid of most of the bucking. 

Max load timing offset - 3*

Low psi timing reduct - 2*

1500 RPM - 14.5*

That's what I'm running. Very rare to see bucking. The thing is you need to get a fair amount of retarding at low RPM's to able to pull in a lugging state. 

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I like ot set Timing reduction to 5* then timing reduction scaling to %50.  That way you get a very fast pull in timing when you try to pull in a lugged state.

Hmmm... I might try that on my performance tune I'm playing with. :smart:

A matter of fact my Stealth Plate is on its way and be here on Thursday...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

scaling sets a max amount based on the timing reduct

So 5* timing reduct and %50 scaling gives you 2.5* max timing pull.

So 5* timing reduct and %30 sclaing givees you 1.5* max timing pull. 

So 5* timing reduct and %70 sclaing givees you 3.5* max timing pull. 

The key is how fast timing hits that point. in this example we have 2.5* timing reduct %100 scaling vs 5* timing reduct %50 scaling.  same total pull in timing, but the 5* %50 scaling hits peak timing pull at %50 tps input

Capture.JPG

• Like 1