• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

bucking in drive and OD

mossyoak71

• Owner

Again the confusion sets in.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, Me78569 said:

So 5* timing reduct and %50 scaling gives you 2.5* max timing pull.

So 5* timing reduct and %30 sclaing givees you 1.5* max timing pull. 

So 5* timing reduct and %70 sclaing givees you 3.5* max timing pull. 

But you look at your graph...

Capture.JPG

In all cases, it's 2.5* timing pull. But above you stating 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5* of timing pull? 

Maybe why I never play with this setting because I still don't understand the math behind it and how it functions. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Those are 2 different examples.     

Example 1

On 3/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, Me78569 said:

scaling sets a max amount based on the timing reduct

So 5* timing reduct and %50 scaling gives you 2.5* max timing pull.

So 5* timing reduct and %30 sclaing givees you 1.5* max timing pull. 

So 5* timing reduct and %70 sclaing givees you 3.5* max timing pull. 

Example 2

the graph is comparing 2.5* of timing reduct at %100 scaling to 5* reduct at %50 scaling.  See how they both end up at 2.5* pulled max, but the 5* with %50 scaling hits that 2.5* of pull faster?

The key is how fast timing hits that point. in this example we have 2.5* timing reduct %100 scaling vs 5* timing reduct %50 scaling.  same total pull in timing, but the 5* %50 scaling hits peak timing pull at %50 tps input

Capture.JPG

Edited by Me78569

1 minute ago, notlimah said:

How do I get that many gauges?!

Swipe up on the screen. 

On a good note, I had DCS redo my tranny tune and he sent it this afternoon, so I will try it over the weekend. I think 50% of the issue with the bucking is the transmission. (Ford 5r110). Just alot of bugs to exterminate!!?

dude i plugged in those timing settings and wow it smoothed my low end chug right out. i had a bucking issue if i let it dip too low on my 6 speed so i would just drive it with more rpms to avoid this. but it was inevitable when taking off from a stop most times. with these timing setting i can lug it just like stock and you cant even tell the truck has stock turbo with 7x11 sac injectors on board.

• Like 1

So I was just over looking at the threads on 24v section, and noticed the one about AC noise interference with the ECM and VP. Since I have a conversion, I'm using the Ford alternator and charging system. I also deleted the heater grid on the Cummins. The reason I bring this up is I am still having the bucking issue. When I run it on level zero, it happens very slightly, mostly at 1500 - 1600 rpms, 25% load, and 55- 65 mph. Mind you the timing is stock. As soon as I take it to level 2 or 3, the bucking gets more prevalent, and I'm down to 14.5 in the timing. Now as soon as I hammer the throttle it seems to stop the bucking, or should I say it comes out of it. Now on levels 4 and 5, as soon as the wire tap starts to come on it really bucks, and puffs smoke. Not a steady stream of black. Then the turbos start to clear it up and it runs ok, not great. So my point is, this issue seems to have just started little by little, is there anyway I can check for the AC noise? Could I unhook the big wire from the alternator and see if that helps? In other words just run off the batteries. This gremlin is really kicking my arse, and also it is a reman vp44, I got from XDP. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

If by 'bucking' you mean the converter is locking and unlocking rapidly then yea, could be your ALT and removing it from the equation while driving will prove that or not. If the 'bucking' is more like surging, then I'd say you're still fighting tuning issues in those scenarios you described.

6 hours ago, notlimah said:

If by 'bucking' you mean the converter is locking and unlocking rapidly then yea, could be your ALT and removing it from the equation while driving will prove that or not. If the 'bucking' is more like surging, then I'd say you're still fighting tuning issues in those scenarios you described.

Yes it is a surging issue, my convertor doesn't lock till it's in od. Try to get the tunning on the engine figured out before I try locking it in other gears. 

13 hours ago, mossyoak71 said:

So I was just over looking at the threads on 24v section, and noticed the one about AC noise interference with the ECM and VP. Since I have a conversion, I'm using the Ford alternator and charging system. I also deleted the heater grid on the Cummins. The reason I bring this up is I am still having the bucking issue. When I run it on level zero, it happens very slightly, mostly at 1500 - 1600 rpms, 25% load, and 55- 65 mph. Mind you the timing is stock. As soon as I take it to level 2 or 3, the bucking gets more prevalent, and I'm down to 14.5 in the timing. Now as soon as I hammer the throttle it seems to stop the bucking, or should I say it comes out of it. Now on levels 4 and 5, as soon as the wire tap starts to come on it really bucks, and puffs smoke. Not a steady stream of black. Then the turbos start to clear it up and it runs ok, not great. So my point is, this issue seems to have just started little by little, is there anyway I can check for the AC noise? Could I unhook the big wire from the alternator and see if that helps? In other words just run off the batteries. This gremlin is really kicking my arse, and also it is a reman vp44, I got from XDP. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and thanks!

if the issue is there on stock level, even a little I start to think it is fueling related.