• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Upgrade injectors or nozzles?

I was shopping for upgraded 100hp injectors, and tripped over 100hp nozzles as well... What's the difference? Do you need them both? 

If you do both, is that 200hp increase? 

The reason I ask is that a diesel performance shop did all my upgrades on my old truck, and they put 100hp injectors in that one.

I am gearing up to do the motor swap, my old motor in new truck... But I thought maybe I would just throw some injectors in the new trucks motor instead, and see how that goes... It's got K&N intake, Larger exhaust, and a BD edge box...

Thanks guys!

Ok, now we are getting closer... So they are two separate items. That's what I figured.

So, if I did decide to do injectors, I don't need to do nozzles...

If I did do nozzles too, what would that do for me? 

If I'm in there, I might as well spend the extra $$$, if it makes a big difference. Right? 

BTW... I am on stock turbo... I'll be asking upgrade opinions about that later... ??

Ok... Now I'm confused again... 

So, if I buy new 100hp injectors, they already have big nozzles on them, and the pop off pressure is already set at the factory? 

If I buy nozzles, then I am having those installed on my existing injectors? And I have to have them set up on some sort of flow bench at an injection shop? That's why the nozzles are cheaper than the injectors? 

I also have another related question... When you install bigger injectors, does that cause the turbo to increase boost PSI? Or do I need to modify the waste gate? 

Both of my trucks have guages. The silver truck was pushing around 38-40lbs of boost, and the white one is lucky to see 18-20....

Silver truck has 100hp injectors, AFE intake, Banks Monster exhaust, and a BD Edge box... Possibly a waste gate mod, I can't quite remember. I had that work done in March 2005... Huge gains!!! I just found the Dyno sheets the other day... With a fresh tranny HP build, straight from the trans shop to Ken Imler Diesel performance, stock run was 169hp@2750rpm & 356ftlb@2000rpm.... 

After... 365hp@2750 & 744tq@2500... He said the numbers would be a little low, because the trans guy builds his units really tight, and they take time to wear in... It did seem to get faster with time... LOL! 

He also did a "shits & giggles" run in 4 low (with front axle actuator unplugged for 2wd low action)

377hp/1874foot pounds of torque... LOL! I don't even know why he did it, but it's real.... I twisted a front axle like a twizzler in 4 low last year...

A complete injector comes with the nozzles. Just install them and go. 

Boost pressure will vary from turbo to turbo and wastemgated or not. It is. Or just about how much pressure you can build. The stock turbo is good to about 33 to 35 lbs. Anything over is not beneficial, but at this point I would have to defer to those more knowledgeable on this subject to explain.

These are the things I am trying to piece together... Like I said, I didn't do the work on my original truck... All I've ever really done was change the VP-44 and add an Air dog lift pump, at about 100k miles... Change the oil, and clean the air filter... I guess that's what I payed extra for! LOL! ... I keep thinking he said he changed a spring in the waste gate, but I'm not 100% on that one.

Ok... What kind of waste gate did you use? I see a few different ways when I shop around... Some look like a kit... Others are the whole thing, Like the Banks big head (I think that's what it's called )

The more I look at this... The more I think I should just swap engine and trans... My set up in the silver truck worked really well together... Plus, I can just sell the motor and trans that I pull out, and buy a better turbo, and maybe a performance intercooler.... I think that would take me to where I'd like to be with performance and drivability... The only thing I wanted for, was to have to turbo spool up a lot quicker, and possibly be able to dial up my comp box one more notch, and not have a bunch of black smoke.... I do not "roll coal"... I think it stupid.

I have the Banks big head on mine. Came in a stinger plus package i put on back in 05. There is alot more to it than just shoving more air into the motor. We have a few members here that are into the performance side more than I am and better qualified to give you advise on this. I am sure they will be along here soon. There is a balance in all this to obtain what you are after. We here are all about NOT rolling coal. Good clean power is what we want.

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

Man I don't know where to start here. First get rid of k&n and put bhaf on. Nozels are part of injectors, they are threaded on injectors, so when you buy a complete set (it would say from dap) they come complete but you will need to send yours as a core or pay a core price, if they aftermarket or have aftermarket nozels they won't take then as core, make sure you ask before purchasing, that goes for any seller unless they specify it in description. If you just get nozels you unscrew yours and screw new ones on but to make it right you need to pop test them so they all pop at same pressure and flow test them, a complete set from dap will be ready to put in motor. So if it says 100hp injectors it means they are 100hp over stock, rv275 means they are 275hp total. For higher boost you need at least a boost fooler or I would recommend qwadzila Adrinalin with v2 tuning. HX35 will be ok for a while with 100hp injectors and you can tune it to what you want with the qwadzila. I'm not even using my waste gate on my hybrid xh35/40 plugged the hole that goes to waste gate and set defuel on qwadzila to what I like. Qwadzila came a long way in a passed year and in my opinion the best tuner for a vp44 truck. Few years ago I was thinking about buying something else but thanks to @Me78569 and combined effort from this site and few guys that  qwadzila made it to the top and I'm glad I kept it. Fill out your signature so we can help better. 

Thanks for all the great advice... The "quote" feature is screwing up on my phone, so bare with me here....

The K&N is just what happens to be on the new truck... I will be going with my AFE setup. I love the air flow design, and huge filter. 

I haven't really filled out my signature yet, because I am going to tear apart both trucks, and do one build all at once... Sell the rest.... It's actually kind of nice to have 2 of everything to chose from, or sell of for new parts... Or trade for parts...

I am going to be pulling the old truck, that I smooshed up, into the shop sometime this week, and beginning total tear down... I think I will have a much better idea of what I've got to work with when I at least get the motor and trans out.

Ias far as the quadzilla goes, I've heard of them, but never seen one. Both trucks have the pretty simple to use BD edge boxes... But is suppose I could be that old dog who learns new tricks! 

What I am wondering about is... When does it make good sense to upgrade the intercooler, and Turbo? My trans is built for 1000 hp (no joke), because I had intended to keep modifying, but never found the time... Now, it makes sense, since I'm going to be selling an entire drivetrain, axles, computers, wiring hranesses, body parts, etc... You get the idea.

I can probably dump another $5-7k into it...

I just got a new, all aluminum 4 core radiator that would look pretty sick paired up with the all aluminum AFE intercooler! 

We love it when they're pretty where it counts!