• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How strong is a stock clutch?

• Staff
57 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Smoother I could understand being the OFE can be a bit grabby. The quieter I don't understand being mine is silent. :think:

The G56 is already more prone to gear rollover noise with the aluminum case and the OHD has less rollover noise at low rpm than my NV5600, and by quite a bit. In talking with SBC it's the design of the clutchs and the dampening springs. 

Since I've gotten a few miles, towing, empty, etc, on a O-HD I haven't made a recommendation for the O-FE. The O-HD has plenty of rating for a single turbo tow tune and it's that much better, IMHO

Thru tuning I have been able to get rid of a lot of the transmission noise on my O-FE, but it's still there at certain rpms and loads. When I run a stock tune it's horrible. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner
8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The G56 is already more prone to gear rollover noise with the aluminum case and the OHD has less rollover noise at low rpm than my NV5600, and by quite a bit. In talking with SBC it's the design of the clutchs and the dampening springs. 

Ahhh... That explains the roll over noise I got with my first Con OFE and the poly springs. My second clutch has normal springs and its silent. 

17 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Since I've gotten a few miles, towing, empty, etc, on a O-HD I haven't made a recommendation for the O-FE. The O-HD has plenty of rating for a single turbo tow tune and it's that much better, IMHO

Thru tuning I have been able to get rid of a lot of the transmission noise on my O-FE, but it's still there at certain rpms and loads. When I run a stock tune it's horrible. 

I had a good bit of the roll over noise with the Valair I had before the OFE and that noise is non existent with the OFE. I do like the holding power of the OFE but would like to get the smoothness of the oe back.  

Good to see someone with some experience with the OHD. I was lacking that when I was in the market for a clutch.

Do you know whether it will work on the OFE flywheel?

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Staff

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir.

When did you get your second one?

When I bought mine in 2011 the O-FE had just gone under a major revision. 

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

I had a good bit of the roll over noise with the Valair I had before the OFE and that noise is non existent with the OFE. I do like the holding power of the OFE but would like to get the smoothness of the oe back.  

Good to see someone with some experience with the OHD. I was lacking that when I was in the market for a clutch.

Do you know whether it will work on the OFE flywheel?

When did you get your O-FE?

I assume it should work. I'm running the OEM flywheel and I can use it with a O-FE or O-HD.

• Owner
10 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

When did you get your second one?

Directly from Peter at South Bend Clutch. In Jan 2017 because it was Christmas I was coming back from seeing MoparMom in the care unit and in Weiser, ID the clutch slipped big time. 

Now its April 2018 and I've got over 59k miles on that clutch since I installed it Jan 2017. I've got 76k miles on the NV4500 since it was rebuilt. I've been traveling...

• Like 1

• Staff

I'll have to talk with Peter and see when it was re-designed. I've talked to him several times about the O-FE in my truck, and those discussions are why we went with the O-HD in dads's 06.

I installed mine in May of 2011, and I just now have 65K on it. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

So with all that said, what clutch should I be looking at in future when need one. My guess is I won't see more than 500hp 1200 tq with my 62/67/12 and will probably get a set of 150hp injectors, 75hp now. I don't tow a lot but when do it's usually around 10-12k on few occasions I had close to 16k on a 14k trailer, probably more like 18k combined. I believe trailer weights about 2500. Anyway if I'm towing I stay in canbus tuning using around 350hp just my guess.  

I don't know what I have now but probably ceramic with no springs to absorb rattle, because it's grabby and when tranny is worm I hear all the gear rattle when in neutral, if I push in clutch all the noise goes a way. 

I've never run a lot of mod's, just Comp Edge at 4 all the time, at the 275 injectors, and few other small mods. 

I went down the road of the so called stronger better clutch, it's been costly and frustrating, from my perspective, never again on South Bend, it's garbage (yes I know lot's out there swear by it but I've had nothing but problems, as they say mileage varies).

I went back to a stock clutch, if I ever get crazy with the power beyond what I have i'll re-look at the clutch.

10 minutes ago, tonyjsan said:

I've never run a lot of mod's, just Comp Edge at 4 all the time, at the 275 injectors, and few other small mods. 

I went down the road of the so called stronger better clutch, it's been costly and frustrating, from my perspective, never again on South Bend, it's garbage (yes I know lot's out there swear by it but I've had nothing but problems, as they say mileage varies).

I went back to a stock clutch, if I ever get crazy with the power beyond what I have i'll re-look at the clutch.

How does this set up tow?  I guess you aren't quite as hilly as the PNW but you are still similar to what I want to build.

14 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

How does this set up tow?  I guess you aren't quite as hilly as the PNW but you are still similar to what I want to build.

I just had the clutch replaced last week, so i've not had a chance to tow, but I head out for my summer travels in May. I can accelerate hard with edge comp on 4 no slippage (obviously no RV hooked up). Before I went down the SB road, I had stock clutch pulling 13k 5th wheel with edge comp, I never had an issue. Ironically that was 1 of the many issues with the SB clutch that I just replaced that was not even 2 years, it was slipping under hard acceleration