• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo blanket?

• Staff

I think the socks are actually more form fitting than the form fitting ones. Form fitting ones will have a larger air space where the side pieces are sewn, whereas the sock will conform all the way around the turbine housing. I was looking at the website you linked and my sock is a much tighter fit than any of the form fit ones they show. 

14 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I would be interested in the valve cover and oil pan cover for noise reduction purposes. @Tractorman Did you take a before and after decibel reading? 

I never have taken any decibel readings.  I have done small things over several years to tame some of the harsh sounds that the Cummins engine emits.  My focus has been to do things that reduce the source of the sound. For example, I have not spent a lot of time and money in attempts to insulate the cabin from the noise of the engine because when you roll down the window or step outside, all of that engine noise is still there.  Instead, I have tried to reduce the noise from the engine right at the engine itself.

The valve cover and especially the oil pan act as speakers and really do transmit a lot of engine noise.  The best material for insulating those items would contain some dense solid mass (like lead) to have the best results; however, the additional weight is usually not desirable, so we compromise.  When I worked around heavy equipment in the high country of Colorado, I could hear that an idling 3208 Cat engine with an insulated oil pan was much quieter than one without it.  I didn’t need a decibel meter to observe that.

Adding Mopar1973man’s IAT resistor circuit reduced engine noise during cold weather (around 50 degrees and especially colder) by modifying engine timing.  An excellent idea – thank you Mike.

I made and installed a length of ribbed plastic 3” drain pipe inside the BHAF.   This pipe reduced engine air intake noise in the same manner a muffler does.  It also reduced exhaust brake noise that backfeeds into the intake side of the engine.

It is the combination of these additions or modifications to the engine that have reduced the overall unwanted noise coming from the Cummins engine that I can’t live without.

I can tell you that if my truck is parked by another 24 valve second generation truck and both engines are idling, my truck will be quieter inside and outside.

Each modification or addition by itself offerd small benefits in engine noise reduction, but when added up, the difference was noticeable even without using decibel meter before and after.

Probably the one thing I miss most now is the turbo whistle – it is gone, and it is the one sound I liked!

• John

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I think the socks are actually more form fitting than the form fitting ones. Form fitting ones will have a larger air space where the side pieces are sewn, whereas the sock will conform all the way around the turbine housing. I was looking at the website you linked and my sock is a much tighter fit than any of the form fit ones they show. 

You brought this on yourself

:piwwp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
10 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Yes, I need to see what the sock fits like compared to form fit.  Because the formed ones seems to fit the best from what I've seen...:think:

Long story short... A formed fit cover is a box trying to cover a circle. The formed fit ones have hard corners where the pieces meet, this will create an airspace under the seam. The sock covers fit like a sock...tight everywhere. 

Would you rather wear a sock or a cloth cube on your feet? 

Form fit is only form fitting in name. Look at the photos, they fit loose... end of story. There is nothing in the photos on the link you provided that shows better insulation. 

I don't have any photos with me, and I am away from my truck, but consider this.. What hugs your body better... a sock or a boot? A sock, as it conforms to all the shapes of your foot. A boot is already set in its shape and wont conform. 

Edited by AH64ID

57 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

When I can take them I'll post them. You've known me long enough to know I don't BS stuff. 

Oh I know John! :thumb1:

Theres only a handful of people on the forums that I can read what they post and know I don’t need to fact check, you’re one of em. 

I just wanted to see pics :shifty:

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Long story short... A formed fit cover is a box trying to cover a circle. The formed fit ones have hard corners where the pieces meet, this will create an airspace under the seam. The sock covers fit like a sock...tight everywhere. 

Would you rather wear a sock or a cloth cube on your feet? 

Form fit is only form fitting in name. Look at the photos, they fit loose... end of story. There is nothing in the photos on the link you provided that shows better insulation. 

I don't have any photos with me, and I am away from my truck, but consider this.. What hugs your body better... a sock or a boot? A sock, as it conforms to all the shapes of your foot. A boot is already set in its shape and wont conform. 

Good point.....but I'm not wearing it. :whistle2:

All joking aside, and I'm not doubting your opinion in any way, but is there actually a negative to how the form fit version fits compared to a sock type which wraps tightly?  Point I think I'm trying to make is, does it matter that there's a gap between the material and the housing or are you speaking from personal choice?  Or is there something gained by having it wrapped tightly?  I guess I'm looking at the blanket as more a heat shield just as I shielded my transmission from the exhaust with a blanket instead of wrap.  Wrap can hold in so much heat that the metal will fatigue, which is why I opted not to go that route.

image.png

7 hours ago, notlimah said:

Theres only a handful of people on the forums that I can read what they post and know I don’t need to fact check, you’re one of em. 

let's keep it in secret so others can still comment and we can learn from their mistakes :hug: with that said let the trolls be, they tend to weed themselves out.

Boy.... now I go look for my couch, oop there it is :sofa:

• Haha 1

• Staff

I am not sure that the heat is an issue as the components are designed to handle the stock EGT's of 1450° from 03+.

I think the benefit to a tighter fitting sock is getting the maximum benefit in turbine efficiency, but I am not sure it's going to provide measurable differences over a looser fitting form fit design.

I only brought it up because you mentioned you wanted a blanket that was as form fitting as possible, which I don't think is the style labeled "form fit" but rather a sock that conforms to turbine better.

I guess it comes down to preference, since as the end of the day they will both improve turbine efficiency and reduce underhood temps.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I am not sure that the heat is an issue as the components are designed to handle the stock EGT's of 1450° from 03+.

I think the benefit to a tighter fitting sock is getting the maximum benefit in turbine efficiency, but I am not sure it's going to provide measurable differences over a looser fitting form fit design.

I only brought it up because you mentioned you wanted a blanket that was as form fitting as possible, which I don't think is the style labeled "form fit" but rather a sock that conforms to turbine better.

I guess it comes down to preference, since as the end of the day they will both improve turbine efficiency and reduce underhood temps.

Point taken..... I guess I'll wait until that one company finishes theirs and then see how it looks.  If its loose and goofy looking then I'll give the sock a try.

That said, whenever you do have the time and want to upload a few pic's, I'd love to see what yours looks like so I have something to base a comparison from.  Thanks. :thumbup2:

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

@KATOOM I just spent the last year no wiretap with my Quadzilla and +75HP injectors. I fought to even reach 1,200*F EGT's. I can hold the throttle to the floor going up 6-7% grades and never reach 1,200*F EGT's. It would do you lot of good to look towards a tuner that allowed for timing control.

I don't see a tuner on your signature for timing control. Stock ECM is going to be pretty retarded and create a lot of EGT heat. Then with the 285's tires that just making the rear axle ratio lower and adding more drag to the engine making more heat. 

I will admit now that I've tapped the VP44 again it really easy to tip 1,400*F EGT's but if I'm plan on towing I'll just drop to Level 3 I keep the timing on the Quadzilla but drop the wiretap completely then I'm back to super low EGT's. No blankets required. Just timing...

Are you saying you are running without the tappped wire that goes to the VP44 from the adrenaline? I didnt know you could run it like that?:shrug: