• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Android tablet in dash

So I don't post much, mostly read, but I wanted to share a project that I've been working on lately. I've done this before with my car and it turned out well, so I figured why not try it with the truck. I've always thought tablets would make great head unit substitutes, and they do if you like to tinker like I do. They're cheap, much better resolution screen than any in dash unit, built in nav, connect to the internet via your phone and the list goes on. All you need to do is integrate it. The first time around in my STI, I hard wired everything and used a program called automate to make the tablet function like a head unit should. It would turn the screen on when the ignition turned on, and kept it on the whole time until you shut the car off. I even found a controller to integrate it with my steering wheel controls so that I could easily control volume and other functions.

This time around I'm going to be trying out something called an ioio to integrate basic functions. I also don't have steering wheel controls so easy volume access will have to be figured out. I'm thinking of hiding a wireless trackpad into the center armrest with volume controls, but I'm not sure yet.

I have a small hobby CNC machine so that made life a little easier. Or at least, it made the end result a little better than making all this by hand. Not sure it was easier after several hours and even more templates cut out of wood to try to get the shape right. I'm still learning the software so I'm sure this could be done much easier by someone who knows how to do this kind of stuff. 

Anyhow, here's some pics of the progress so far. 

How it started

20180222_210209.jpg

One of many templates attempting to get the shape i wanted

20180224_101551.jpg

Finally got it right and machined out of 1/2" HDPE

20180324_114435.jpg

Lots of flexible body filler, sanding, and filler priming. Still had a lot of work to go in this picture

20180324_205802.jpg

Here's where I'm at currently. I'm not a huge fan of the plastidip I used so I may pull it off and paint it instead. The goal is to make it look as factory as possible. The tablet isn't mounted yet here, it's just sitting behind it. I will JB weld it in place and the screen should be flush against the bezel opening. 

20180326_222732.jpg

Next up is cutting up the dash to make room for this and blocking off the air vents that I cut out. Between that and wiring up the amp and all the speakers, it'll probably be a while before this gets completely finished, but I will keep track of the progress here. 

Edited by fogged306
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome, I'm not sure it's something I'd do because I like having the center vents, but still cool. Not having functional steering wheel radio controls is one thing I miss with a retrosound radio vs. stock, but having bluetooth and being able to answer the phone with one button makes it worth it.

4 hours ago, Ho$$ said:

Looks awesome, unfortunately I live in Southwest Florida...A/C is a necessity, I could not lose my Center A/C vents. What was the tablet size?

It's a 10" tablet

4 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

That looks clean, nice work.

Scooty Puff Jr.... nice. That might be my favorite thing from that whole series. 

• Like 1

On my car, I just wired in a 12v car adapter to the ignition wires at the radio. I used an app called "automate" to write a basic program that makes the tablet screen turn on when it sees the charger connected and go to sleep when it is disconnected. The ignition on and off simulates this scenario so when I turn the key on, the tablet screen comes on and stays lit until I turn the key off. With the ignition off, the tablet will lose about 3-4% battery overnight and will be charged back to 100% within 10 minutes of driving the car. So I never had to worry about the tablet dying on me. It also makes it nice when starting the car because it is instantly booted, instead of waiting for it to load up every time you get in the car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...