• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

TIRES - Sizes, brands, etc. - What do you run?

this morning, I had my 265-70-16 REVOs replaced ith 235/85-16 E Federal Couragia MTs.. So far, I love them, even though I've only driven a short distance on them. My steering is much easier, and despite their very lug-heavy design, only howl a little bit. I barely hear it over my 5" muffled Diamond Eye exhaust.

I'll try to get a pic of them on the truck this afternoon..

Posted Image

I like that pattern! I haven't seen those before I don't think.

I am running a 285/7?/16 sxt (I think) on a set of American Racing wheels. Someday I'll have some Hoss 17/18's and 295/70/17 or 18 Nitto trail grappler.

• 2 years later...

You might be able to find a good deal on craigslist too. Lots of people buying and selling rims/tires there. That's where I found mine. Someone had bought a brand new truck and went straight to the tire shop to get fancy rims put on. I was able to buy his stock rims and tires for cheap.

285/75/r16 or 33" are a great compromise between look and function. Big enough to look proportionate and function well enough in the snow and off road...as long as you have 4x4. Mixed feelings about coopers as of now because my shocks were completely shot which caused cupping and outer wear. But, on the path to 40,000 miles or more with 15,000 on them now.

- - - Updated - - -

285/75/r16 or 33" are a great compromise between look and function. Big enough to look proportionate and function well enough in the snow and off road...as long as you have 4x4. Mixed feelings about coopers as of now because my shocks were completely shot which caused cupping and outer wear. But, on the path to 40,000+ miles or more with 15,000 on them now.

A lot of guys around here with utility bodies and commercial trucks are running firestone transforce with great results, wear and longevity.

• Owner

Pizza cutter type tires are way better in and on snow and ice than the "wide and cool looking" CF type tires. JMNTBHO!!!

Reason why is beause the contact patch is smaller and the weight of the vehicle is concentrated and given more Pound Per Square than a wide tire or like dual trucks which can be rather wild. Now that I got 2 trucks in the 20's MPG bracket either gas or diesel powered tire do make a affect in MPG like it or not.

On the other side of the page is when I run narrower tires in the conditions and how I use them I have only gotten about half the life from them.OH NO there are cons to them too...........I find them to not handle very good and not as stable and they don't track as straight as a bit wider tire either. If they were on the back of a dually I would say ok but not on the back of my 2500's.In the long run for what tires cost versus the wee bit they may save in fuel is a wash.:bolt:

• Owner

That I'll have to disagree with. 265/75 R16 (10.43"/7.82" R16) 235/85 R16 (9.25"/7.86" R16) 10.43" - 9.25" = 1.18" Difference in Width (Basically 1" narrower) 7.86" - 7.82" = 0.04" Difference in Heigth (Basically a washout) 265's average weight is about 85 pounds with wheel 235's average weight is about 62 pounds with wheel More on Rotational Interia http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html Then cost difference I typically only pay $600 to $650 for 235's vs 265 at about $850 to $900. MPG Difference is about 2-3 MPG on average over a set of tires the is quite a bit of savings...

• Like 1

All fine and dandy if all it does is roll down the pavement unloaded.............for those of us that don't have that ability.................tire life and safe stability and handling are more important.:2cents:Every time I have tried 235 tires I can't drive a straight line to save my hide. they follow every single crack in the road and they feel like I am riding on a tub of jello. I have never noticed a lick of mileage difference either but that is the difference in territory and use. I would love to live in the mountains"only for mpg reasons", every time I have been there every rig I drive gets way better mileage 3-4 mpg better than in the windy rolling hills of the plains.

• Like 1

All fine and dandy if all it does is roll down the pavement unloaded.............for those of us that don't have that ability.................tire life and safe stability and handling are more important.:2cents: Every time I have tried 235 tires I can't drive a straight line to save my hide. they follow every single crack in the road and they feel like I am riding on a tub of jello.

To follow up on this, the roads in North Dakota really suck compared to roads in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. I am running a pretty wide tire and couldnt imagine running anything more narrow just because of the road conditions here. Like you said, I feel that if I had narrow tires, the road would be pushing and pulling me all over the place.
  • Like 1

To follow up on this, the roads in North Dakota really suck compared to roads in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. I am running a pretty wide tire and couldnt imagine running anything more narrow just because of the road conditions here. Like you said, I feel that if I had narrow tires, the road would be pushing and pulling me all over the place.

Wanna see some bad roads.............come the northern "The Peoples Republic of Illinois"!!!! The gravel roads in NoDak are smoother than most of our crumbly paved roads here!!! IMHO, the paved state highways in NoDak are beautiful to drive on!!! W&F...........one reason may be that the "narrower" tires often times have a taller sidewall than the wider tires.........especially if you want to stay close to the same diameter of the tire/rim combo. The taller sidewall flexes more than the "lower profile" tires and won't handle as well. That's one reason to air up the tires..............to stiffen the sidewall. Stock tire size on my '04.5 is LT265/70 17E.....................I sure with I could find a LT255/80 17E or a LT245/85 17E
  • Like 1