• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stupid Coffee Makers

• Owner

I bought a name brand Mr. Coffee - Coffe maker. I bought the simple version of just the toggle switch still without all the clock and stuff to go wrong. Would you believe after barely 6 months the simple toggle switch failed? Yeap. It quit working. I wanted coffee so I broke out the screwdrivers to start pulling it apart. I'm greeted on the bottom of the coffee maker with a warning that there is no serviceable parts and you should not open the coffee maker which might put you at risk of a fire. Screw that... I proceeded... 4 screws are normal Phillips but 2 screws are Allen wrench. Are you kidding me? Ok back to the shop I cheated again instead of Allen wrenches I grabbed a T10 Torx screwdriver it fit perfect. Pull the bottom off pull the two leads off the switch mated the two blade connectors together crushed them tightly with my multi-tool. The wrapped it up with electrical tape.

Sweet sound of coffee brewing... 

Now in days everything is made cheap and mostly made of cheap plastic. So next time I head to Ontario, OR I'll be buying another offee maker for us. This is just sick and wrong why doesn't anything last?

I use a cheap electric one that just boils water and make whatever I need coffee/tee etc but I got one that is one piece stainless steel inside so water never contacts plastic and BPA from plastic doesn't leach in water. :2cents: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=secura+swk-1701db&oq=secura+swk&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.13812j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

• Staff

I buy the Presto all stainless steel 12 cup automatic percolator, They cost around $48-50 and last an average of 8-10 years. 

Anyhow we are on our third one and is getting there so have new one ready in the box.

I think it's good not to run your hot water thru plastic. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dripley said:

My wife got into the Kuerig one cup machines and later a pot full brewer. What a fiasco. 

My wife got one too I tried it a few times but no matter which coffee I tried it gives me a headache, I stopped using it and I want to say she did too.

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I think it's good not to run your hot water thru plastic

That and make sure you never use hot water to boil it or make any kind of food with it, meaning if you don't want to wait and trying to speed up the process by using hot water out of water heater. Not only water heaters are usually full of garbage but they will leach heavy metals.

• Like 1

We had the same problem with most of the appliances in our home.  We switched to a Bialetti Moka coffee maker and never looked back.  No electronics to go bad, better tasting (less sour and stronger) and easy to clean.

We were also going through toasters about once every 6 months ... and we made toast maybe once or twice a week.  Purchased everything from the consumer reports recommendation to internet praised units.  Switched to a Sunbeam T9 toaster (1939 debut) about five years ago and haven't looked back.

Then there was the time the circuit board in our oven fried and the broiler turned on and wouldn't shut off.  I had to shut the oven off at the breaker.  It boiled over and scorched a pot that was soaking on the top of the stove, melted a decorative towel that was on the handle.  The element got so hot that it started to fall and was mm's away from the door glass. The repair man said we were minutes away from the element making contact with the glass, having the glass explode and setting the kitchen on fire.  The house was already full of white smoke ... the lesson learned is we now have a gas stove with an external manual shut off valve.

I could go on, but the sentiment is it's difficult to find products made now that aren't 100% pure garbage.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...