• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

Dripleys right tho.... sometimes two stroke works in situations like yours. I drove from north oregon to central west Nevada 8 times, hauling my rv, driving with an 0216 error code. drove the truck locally for 4 yrs besides those trips and then to western Idaho for the eventual VP change out by MoparMan. I was using a bit heavy doses of two stroke forever, so even though the timing piston was worn and could not advance the timing as needed, it refused to seize.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, trreed said:

That area must be haunted!  There's a cemetery on a mountain back road (basically forestry road) that every time I drove by it, the truck shut off in the same place. Did it when three different people were with me. I don't drive by there anymore. 

A different mountain back road, I had a similar thing happen with the white smoke and retarded timing. On a brand new VP at 2.30 am :(

Whenever I visit Colorado remind me not to go on a ride along.

• Haha 1

• Owner

Goes back to the whole problem...

1998.5 to 1999 do not report any error codes. 

2000 to 2001 typically only report PCM codes.

2002 is the only year that reports both PCM and ECM.

So why bother with a key trick system if only 1 year works... Just easier if everyone uses a code reader.

I have a few questions about installing the injection pump.

Do I leave the gear puller attached to the gear till I get the new injection pump back in the case?

When I stick the new injection pump in aligned with the gear key way will the key slide in far enough for the key to be in the key way slot before I start to tighten the bolt?

Or do I need to watch the key and the gear key way slot as I go thru each torque sequence to make sure it goes in properly?

Thanks

• Owner
1 minute ago, MERF_09 said:

Do I leave the gear puller attached to the gear till I get the new injection pump back in the case?

No. Not required. All the puller is used for to pop the shaft out of the gear after that it can be removed. 

2 minutes ago, MERF_09 said:

When I stick the new injection pump in aligned with the gear key way will the key slide in far enough for the key to be in the key way slot before I start to tighten the bolt?

Typically I slide the shaft in and check with a mirror to make sure the key is lined up with the gear before tightening any nuts. Typically I will do the 4 mounting nuts first to draw it in the rest of the way and double check one more time with a mirror for the key alignment before placing the lock washer and nut on the shaft. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Not required. All the puller is used for to pop the shaft out of the gear after that it can be removed. 

Typically I slide the shaft in and check with a mirror to make sure the key is lined up with the gear before tightening any nuts. Typically I will do the 4 mounting nuts first to draw it in the rest of the way and double check one more time with a mirror for the key alignment before placing the lock washer and nut on the shaft. 

Thank you!

On 4/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, trreed said:

That area must be haunted!  There's a cemetery on a mountain back road (basically forestry road) that every time I drove by it, the truck shut off in the same place. Did it when three different people were with me. I don't drive by there anymore. 

A different mountain back road, I had a similar thing happen with the white smoke and retarded timing. On a brand new VP at 2.30 am :(

Hmmm? Above Central City by chance @trreed?

• Owner
On 4/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, trreed said:

It must be some poor pissed of Ford owner turning over in his grave because your Cummins is still running. 

18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It must be some poor pissed of Ford owner turning over in his grave because your Cummins is still running. 

Considering most of these graves are mid 1800's gold rush miners...... If they had Fords back then I'd be impressed!  

2 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Could be something to do with magnetism from Earth like ac noise 

Aww my day-time ghost stories aren't working????

It's only ever happened after nightfall.  During the daytime I've never had an issue.  And it gets kinda chilly when you roll by it....  I'm not overly superstitious, but there are a handful of things I've experienced that I can't explain.

• Like 1

I super glue all my keys in to prevent them from falling out.  Then just line up the keyway and its reverse steps for taking it out.  For priming, bump the starter three or four times to ensure fuel has filled the VP, and then crank it to bleed the high pressure side.

• Like 1

• Owner

The last few times I've never bother to even crack any high-pressure lines open. Just cranked for about 20 seconds and it would start. I would bump the starter crack the fuel supply line till fuel was present at the VP44. Jump in the truck and just fire it up. Mine like I said, is about 20 seconds of solid cranking it fires right up.