• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Driving home from work engine the tone changed and my max speed was 60 mph so checked for codes no codes, I disconnected the TS MVP no change, I check fuel pressure seemed normal to me bump key 17psi, running 15psi, mash the pedal to the floor 10psi, my fass pump is 12 years old. Truck is smoking white smoke. I'm thinking it the VP44 it have been in for 10yrs and 200,000 miles. It did this the first time the VP44 died, except it would only idle no matter what position the gas pedal was in.

I'm thinking it's the VP44 again just wanted a second a pinion.

I plan on replacing the VP and the fass pump.

Thanks

20180327_150650.jpg

20180327_152148.jpg

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

sure sounds like a stuck timing piston in the vp

It could be, I have no clue it there a way to test the VP44?

It sounds horrible when you press the gas pedal, at speed & at idle it sounds normal.

There's not really a way to test for the timing piston position.  Usually it will trip the 0216 code, alerting you that the piston is stuck somewhere.  In your case, I'm betting the piston is starting to get stuck in a retarded timing position, and the 0216 code may be following shortly.

37 minutes ago, dripley said:

You could dose it up with 2 cycle oil and might help it for a little while. It wont fix the damage but might breath a little life into it until you replace it. 

I have Walmart 2 cycle in it so I think it has bit the dust.

No.  Quad shows commanded timing.  That's the unfortunate thing with our goofy electronic/mechanical injection system.  We can't see actual injection timing or duration (two variables that would let us dial our trucks in like the CR guys can), so we have to best guess it.  Thankfully Nick got it damn close.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

I've witnessed more than once now when I get off the hwy and stab the go pedal quickly few times I'll have white smoke come out, not a lot but definitely white, then I go to take of in gear and it's back to more black puff. Funny thing is it's the same exit,  I need to go a different route ha ha.

That area must be haunted!  There's a cemetery on a mountain back road (basically forestry road) that every time I drove by it, the truck shut off in the same place. Did it when three different people were with me. I don't drive by there anymore. 

A different mountain back road, I had a similar thing happen with the white smoke and retarded timing. On a brand new VP at 2.30 am :(

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

My pump went last month. It's frustrating as hell. No warning either, no limping home, just cruising, and then dead.

Yes that's how the original VP44 died. I've used Walmart 2 cycle in the tank for this VP44 and it didn't just die, it limped me home with a max speed is 60 mph.

• Owner

Don't feel bad mine was the reverse problem my went to full advance and barely limp me home at 30 MPH. No white smoke just lots of hammering and knocking. I did have a P0216 code only if you used a code reader. 

My failure I contribute to pure wear. 243k miles and like 11 year if I'm not mistaken. I'm not complaining one bit. I grew up in age where it was normal to pull an engine and refresh it at 100k miles. Now to have a VP44 that last 243k miles not a problem. 

As for protection...

• 14-20 PSI fuel pressure is optimal
  • 128:1 ratio of 2 cycle oil optimal. (Bocsh requires <420 HFRR today fuel is ~520 HFRR)
  • AC noise below 0.04 (40 mV AC)
  • Double filtering is optimal 3-micron filters. 

• Staff
22 hours ago, dripley said:

You could dose it up with 2 cycle oil and might help it for a little while. It wont fix the damage but might breath a little life into it until you replace it. 

You can tell Dripley's been visiting his doc lately.