• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission rebuilders (Firepunk or Dynamic)

9 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

@notlimah just a quick side question so not to get off topic. How do you like the Dynamic Stage 3? I am currently saving for a trans. Firepunk is close to me, but I am considering Dynamic.

Can't say enough good things about the trans or Jon. If you can make it out to him (I drove 6 hours), it's a no brainer IMO. Could also pull the trans and ship to him as well if driving there isn't an option. You could also look at Goerend being as they're in Iowa, might be easier since they're closer to you.

If firepunk is local there is no reason not to use them.  They are good builders.  Nothing at all against Jon, but distance should control builder, IF you have a good one around you.  

Stuff happens, being able to drive / tow the truck to the builder is worth it's weight in gold.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Can't say enough good things about the trans or Jon. If you can make it out to him (I drove 6 hours), it's a no brainer IMO. Could also pull the trans and ship to him as well if driving there isn't an option. You could also look at Goerend being as they're in Iowa, might be easier since they're closer to you.

Thanks. Driving is too far. Would be a nice trip though. Jon said I could ship him my trans. I didn't think Goerend was doing builds any longer. I am the type of person that likes to do business based on real world experiences from the end user. I didn't know of Dynamic until I saw him mentioned on the forum.

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

If firepunk is local there is no reason not to use them.  They are good builders.  Nothing at all against Jon, but distance should control builder, IF you have a good one around you.  

Stuff happens, being able to drive / tow the truck to the builder is worth it's weight in gold.

Firepunk is about 1 1/2 hours North of me. I have heard good things about them also. From a cost standpoint, even with adding a billet output, I can freight my trans to Jon and still be ahead on the cost of a Firepunk. But I may venture another call to Firepunk. I do agree about having a builder local so Adjustments and fine tuning would be easier.

Edited by gipperkid

10 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

Thanks. Driving is too far. Would be a nice trip though. Jon said I could ship him my trans. I didn't think Goerend was doing builds any longer. I am the type of person that likes to do business based on real world experiences from the end user. I didn't know of Dynamic until I saw him mentioned on the forum.

Yea, Goerend doesn't do in house builds anymore but I'm sure they have shops around the area that do and that they endorse. Firepunk is pretty popular, and I'm sure for good reason, but the quality of parts that Goerend produces are second to none IMO. To Nick's point though, being that close to the builder does have major benefits and piece of mind so I'd weigh that heavily.

EDIT: You also pointed out cost, which if you're still coming out ahead on cost by sending it to Jon then another big factor. If you're truck is your daily and IF for some reason you had to pull it again to send it to Jon then maybe that would be something to consider, but ask Jon how much warranty work he's had to do over the years. :wink:

Edited by notlimah

20 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Firepunk is pretty popular, and I'm sure for good reason,

It's cause Lavon does what he wants (like the triple turbo cummins that blew up on the dyno) and kicks *** at UCC.  And he makes good transmissions.

My power goals (500ish) didn’t warrant a need for it according to Jon. Although this stage 3 build is rated to 550-600ish.

I choose to run a Goerend in mine. Jon’s standard stage 3 (or any ‘standard’ build he does AFAIK) uses a triple from Cascade. Nothing wrong with that converter, I just decided since I was spending the money that I’d be a brand ***** a little bit lol. Not to mention Goerend is top notch.

• Owner
5 hours ago, notlimah said:

I drove out and had him do it. I hung out and watched as much as I could. He tries to make it out to be pretty easy but I wasn’t willing to try haha.

Funny tidbit... @Dynamic disassembles my 46RE gets it in for being washed. Then he turns to me and says, "You know you get to put this all back together." My jaw hit the floor like "WHAT!" Very enjoyable time watching him build my transmission for me. To this day that 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 still runs like a crazed mule and shift super firm yet. I love it!