• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Seafoam in a Common Rail

???If you fallow the directions or use common sense you would drain the fuel filter first,(how could you add it if you didn't?) or pre-fill it when changing the filter.How much water do you think is present in the small amount of fuel that is in the filter?If you have that much water in your fuel to have to be worried about this you have bigger problems. jmo

I have ran B20 twice.. Once it gelled on me 2 days in a row (the 2nd day the tank had HUGE amount of anti-gel and additive), so that left a REAL sour taste. I did run it again when I was in Az this spring.. I really like it, no change in MPG, broke 18 like every other tank down there, and had more fuel pressure (+1 min over #2), and ran quieter.. Too bad it costs so much up here!

Exactly, I won't run it in winter. If I do it's just a gallon so that it thins out to B2 or so. Once summer hits, we are lucky to get under 60F here. I liked it a lot too, loved how instant it started. It is about 20 cents a gallon more than regular though. If it wasn't such a hassle (only one place sells it within maybe 150 miles), then I would dump a gallon in for every fill up of regular #2.

I run the Amalgamated TDR-WDA formula in Winter: http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-wda.aspx and TDR-S during late spring through early Fall: http://www.amalgamatedinc.com/tdr-s.aspx It is probably overkill but I still add te Walmart Tech 2000 2 stroke oil if for nothing else, peace of mind. I noticed right off the bat that my engine ran noticably quieter. (much less combustion noise) Just to make sure it was not my bias'd and wishful thinking, I treated the fuel in the wife's truck WITHOUT telling her about it. After about a 2 or 3 days of driving it, she commented to me that the truck ran a lot quieter for some reason but after she filled it up again the normal combustion noise returned. Not scientific, peer reviewed research evidence by a long stretch, but noticable positive feedback from someone who not aware of the fuel additive being in the fuel.

• Staff

??? If you fallow the directions or use common sense you would drain the fuel filter first,(how could you add it if you didn't?) or pre-fill it when changing the filter. How much water do you think is present in the small amount of fuel that is in the filter? If you have that much water in your fuel to have to be worried about this you have bigger problems. jmo

Simply stating that your fuel filter bowl has the possibility of holding the highest concentration of water in your entire fuel system. Also if you fill the filter bowl with sea-foam, say 12 oz, and let it idle for 5 minutes, you have burned about 10oz of "fuel" (at 1GPH idle, which may be hi or low, depending on load), but with the stock LP you have pumped almost 3 gallons of fuel thru the filter and injection pump.. So you have only burned a very small amount of seafoam, prob less than 1oz , the rest has returned to the tank, where it will mix with the fuel and emulsify your water. On a side note, how did you get a 98 4runner with a 3.0? The last year for the 3.0 was 95?

I drain my fuel filter when installing a new filter. pre-fill the filter. No water would be present at this point.When I drain my fuel filter periodically encase I do have water present. I have only seen a few smapp droplets (smaller than a pin head) fourm in the bottom of my sampling jar.But I see your point about it recirculating back to the tank.The more i think about it at idle it proubely dumps more back into the tank than it burns.Maybe I'm just lucky:shrug: but I've never had a proublem using it.I'm trying to ween my self off of Husein any additives other than an anti gel in mid winter as it gets kind of cold in northern Mn in the winter. The 4runner. the 3.slooooow (3.0), Limited in green :thumbup2: 196k on the ticker and still going slowly. I think there is a dent in the floorboard from slamming down the "accelerator":)

• Staff

I drain my fuel filter when installing a new filter. pre-fill the filter. No water would be present at this point. When I drain my fuel filter periodically encase I do have water present. I have only seen a few smapp droplets (smaller than a pin head) fourm in the bottom of my sampling jar. But I see your point about it recirculating back to the tank. The more i think about it at idle it proubely dumps more back into the tank than it burns. Maybe I'm just lucky:shrug: but I've never had a proublem using it. I'm trying to ween my self off of Husein any additives other than an anti gel in mid winter as it gets kind of cold in northern Mn in the winter. The 4runner. the 3.slooooow (3.0), Limited in green :thumbup2: 196k on the ticker and still going slowly. I think there is a dent in the floorboard from slamming down the "accelerator":)

Yeah with quick estimation math I think most of the seafoam ends up in the tank.. I think you missed my question on the runner.. Is is a 98? Or does it have a 3.0? There was no 3.0 in 98.

• 7 months later...

now I thought the key was to run a additive to emulsifie the water not seperate it to run it through the system in small amounts, I run FPPF bio winter treat and they bragg about getting rid of the water. Knock on wood never had a problem and my fass is hanging out in the open and yes it gets pretty cold up here -20 this morning. Also I talked to a fuel guy today and asked him what exactly #1 is, he said it is refined more to get the wax and other stuff out so it don't gell but takes away lubricity also #1 has no bio even in our great state that mandates it.:shrug: