• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Seafoam in a Common Rail

Not sure why he didn't just dump it down the stacks, that's where the soot is :lol:I've only used that stuff when filling up as an additive, maybe twice. Never did anything bad, or good as far as I can tell. Another thing to watch out for, guy upstairs just got an injection pump off an 8.3, not a p pump but a different smaller output inline pump. Some guy gave it to him saying biodiesel destroyed it. I can't really understand how, since fuel hardly travels far in an inline pump, not through it like rotary ones. Only thing I can think of is it brought some abrasives into the system which trashed the barrel or plunger's tight fit seal and everything started leaking :shrug: Wish I knew more details on what exactly happened.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-iPCb-3cqU

Here is something I highly suggest no one does to their truck a good way to do damage to the engine. When he pouring Seafoam in you can hear the pre-ignition knock... OUCH! :rolleyes:
I'll give you one guess as to where he heard to use it from!!!:evilgrin::cookoo:

Aerosol deep creep sprayed into an intake :cookoo:BUT.Regular sea~foam when used properly does not cause a rattle or knock.The way I use it is when I'm changing fuel filters, I pre-fill the fuel filter with sea~ foam.(pour it into the outer ring, not down the center of the filter and the filter will filter it)Then just let it idel for a minute, shut it off and let it sit for a few then fire her back up.no rattling, dieseling, or any diffrent sounds.I've been doing this to different diesel engins for 28years now:shrug:

• Owner

I'll give you one guess as to where he heard to use it from!!!:evilgrin::cookoo:

Ok... Where did he hear it from??? (PM if needed...) :lmao2:

Aerosol deep creep sprayed into an intake :cookoo:

BUT.

Regular sea~foam when used properly does not cause a rattle or knock.

The way I use it is when I'm changing fuel filters, I pre-fill the fuel filter with sea~ foam.

(pour it into the outer ring, not down the center of the filter and the filter will filter it)

Then just let it idel for a minute, shut it off and let it sit for a few then fire her back up.

no rattling, dieseling, or any diffrent sounds.

I've been doing this to different diesel engins for 28years now:shrug:

There is the key phrase "Used properly" puoring SeaFoam into the intake tract is not proper use of the product...:nono:

Another thing to watch out for, guy upstairs just got an injection pump off an 8.3, not a p pump but a different smaller output inline pump. Some guy gave it to him saying biodiesel destroyed it. I can't really understand how, since fuel hardly travels far in an inline pump, not through it like rotary ones. Only thing I can think of is it brought some abrasives into the system which trashed the barrel or plunger's tight fit seal and everything started leaking :shrug: Wish I knew more details on what exactly happened.

two words...salt and pressure

Care to explain? It's been eating at me for days :lol:

most of the time i hear bio-diesel and bad pumps, frying oil is involved. voids warranty because of "poor/low quality fuel". i even saw a pic of a head that was rotting away. supposedly he was also running veggie oil. i wish i could get some regular LSD

Hmmm, I wonder if that is just with WVO or if that includes biodiesel factories. I know food and all that would add a lot of crap to it, like the salt you mentioned, just wouldn't think b20 from the pump like I can get here would have anything bad in it, but maybe so. All I know is it's 15 cents more expensive than regular, so not seeing how going green saves money :shrug:

Any fool who would wear a cap sideways is a little:cookoo:

Even the want-a-be gangsters are to cool:cool: to wear it that way.:thumb1:

Even the sea~foam folks will tell you not to use the product the way those fools are.

Sea Foam, when used in Diesel fuel, cleans fuel deposits from the fuel system and carbon from inside the engine safely. It also adds lubrication and controls moisture when added to diesel fuel at one ounce per gallon. Another use for Sea Foam in Diesel applications is cleaning fuel injectors. This is accomplished by getting engine to operating temperature then shut off. Remove the fuel filter (replace filter if needed.) Empty all diesel fuel from filter or filter housing and fill filter or housing with straight Sea Foam. Reinstall filter on engine, making sure there is no air in filter. Start engine and let run about two minutes, then shut engine off and let sit about 5 minutes. This is called a “HOT SOAK” letting the Sea Foam soak into the carbon. After the “hot soak” period, restart the engine and road test, driving aggressively for about 5 miles. This will clean carbon from the injectors and the combustion chamber inside the engine. Sea Foam can also be used in oil for cleaning the crankcase. Adding Sea Foam to your oil will clean oil deposits and varnish from your crankcase, free up sticky lifters and clogged oil control rings. Add Sea Foam to the oil at one pint to four gallons of oil. Then drive vehicle a minimum of one hour before changing oil.

Sea Foam is very safe and effective in the ways described above. Most people that own and work on Diesel cars and trucks know that no liquids can be used through the air intake system of a Diesel engine including cleaners and starting fluids. If this is done to a Diesel engine it can cause major engine damage including Hydro-Lock or uncontrolled engine acceleration known as “RUN AWAY”. Do not add Sea Foam to the air intake of a Diesel engine!!

If these simple instructions are followed, Sea Foam will effectively and safely clean your fuel system, injectors and the crankcase when used in Diesel engine applications.

:smart:

:lol:

One of the things that makes this country great is that it offers some much freedom of choice. Sorry......but there will be NO Sea Foam going into my diesel engine in anyway shape form or fashion. :spend:

• Staff

Their Diesel FAQ page says "Sea Foam Motor Treatment is 100% Petroleum"But the MSDS says "10-20% IPA by volume".. That is not a petroleum product in the sense they are advertising!So believe what you want with their advertising..

• Haha 1

• Owner

Their Diesel FAQ page says "Sea Foam Motor Treatment is 100% Petroleum" But the MSDS says "10-20% IPA by volume".. That is not a petroleum product in the sense they are advertising! So believe what you want with their advertising..

IPA (Rubbing Alcohol) then there is a pale oil too... http://www.telecheminternational.com/IPA_Reagent_ACS.PDF One of the members here suggested I try a can of the seafoam to try and correct my intermitted miss fire I have at idle. well the funny part is the day I added it seem like a it ran a bit different. No there was no 2 cycle oil in the fuel. But after that tank was done it done nothing to change performance. So I returned back to my 2 cycl oil and kept going...

• Staff

I had an intermittent rough idle at startup 2 summers back, it seemed like an injector wasn't opening on various hot starts.. I think it happen 10 or so times... Well since then I have added 2um filtration, an extra f/w separator and run Amsoil diesel concentrate every tank... Hasn't happened in 18 months, so between cleaner fuel and some heavy towing to work/clean the injectors it quit... So good filtration and heavy use goes a long ways.

I've actually had really good luck with B20. I don't use it much but my fuel pump started ticking really loud one day and I figured whats got more lube in it than B20! So went by a got some and tick went away and never came back. Starts a lot better with B20 also. Has a lot of cetane in it and less energy so you don't get as far though. Be nice if I could just get B2.

• Staff

I have ran B20 twice.. Once it gelled on me 2 days in a row (the 2nd day the tank had HUGE amount of anti-gel and additive), so that left a REAL sour taste.I did run it again when I was in Az this spring.. I really like it, no change in MPG, broke 18 like every other tank down there, and had more fuel pressure (+1 min over #2), and ran quieter..Too bad it costs so much up here!

Yes the pail oil has wax in it but so does diesel fuel.The ipa is not an issue if you do not add it to your fuel tank.Just like using power service or a similar products that emulsifies water or removes water from your fuel are bad. Let your fuel/water filter do it's job if water is the issue.When added to your fuel filter it does not have the opportunity to emulsify any water.Like a lot of products it depends how you use it.just like I'll never use 2cycel in my diesel, it's for my 2 strokes.Now with B2 being mandated by law in my state I may stop or cut way back on cleaning additives.No proublem with gelling just run 50% #1 in the winter.