• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

The biggest thing is to vent the vapor from the crankcase. The biggest problem is too many people not thinking long haul. So they attempt to vent all the way to the back bumper or something silly. Like the 12V tappet cover I would just grab a chunk of hose and hang it straight down. If you still on the factory 24V tappet cover then my PVC pipe mod works great.  

Way too many people attempt to vent to far away and end up blowing seals or gaskets out. Remember there is alway water vapor that vents to so if the pipe has low spots or can puddle internally it will eventually freeze shut. Like other attempting to do it with rubber hose and have it kink shut. 

The worse phone call I got from a guy that was upset that he didn't follow my advice and had it blow the tappet cover gasket on the Alcan highway in the middle of nowhere. He called me and told me I was right and never to use rubber hose for venting the crankcase it ended very poorly with him paying a very expensive tow bill. 

Another person called me in the dead of winter to do the same thing and tell me don't attempt to extend my idea to the transfer case. Needless to say the PVC pipe filled with water from condensing in the pipe and froze shut again blowing out the front crank seal and the tappet cover. 

• Owner
8 hours ago, Waydin_Stewart said:

I was just going to run it to about middle of oil pan below motor. Just want to know best hose to use that wont break the bank

Like most here would grab just standard old heater hose for the 12V tappet cover since that is a straight down run no biggy. If it was me I would use about 6" of 3/4" heater hose and the rest PVC pipe and know that it will never kink up. Any kind of rigid pipe will work great. Copper would work too. Just create a custom mounting tab for the oil pan bolt and it will never flop around. All kinds of solutions other than rubber hose. 

I used some SIDR polyethylene well pipe to run it down. The fittings slip into the pipe and it was easy to use. Whether it holds up to the oil is yet to be seen. I only did this about 4 months ago. It is available Home Depot or Lowes and i would think any other building supply. I just hope it holds up.