• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any guesses where it’s LEAKING????

Ok guys I was towing my boat home from the lake as I was going up a hill in town I encountered a MAJOR problem. I dumped my entire coolant system. I just did a head gasket about 10K miles ago. I run ARP’s and I have an upgraded turbo. I know it’s leaking from the back of the block. Any guesses to what my problem is?

• Owner

From the driver side look up towards the back of the block and you'll be able to see the freeze plug back there. 

If your rotting out freeze plugs it might be a good idea to replace them all. Typically stems from people over using the coolant till its corrosive and the damage is done. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

From the driver side look up towards the back of the block and you'll be able to see the freeze plug back there. 

If your rotting out freeze plugs it might be a good idea to replace them all. Typically stems from people over using the coolant till its corrosive and the damage is done. 

The Freeze plug is completely gone. I have a hunch that my truck sat for many years. When I replaced the thermostat a long time ago the head looked like it had almost rusted something. Maybe the antifreeze went bad and etched the head?. How difficult is it to get the remaining 3 out? 

Edited by JDHudsn

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

There is more than 3 more. Typically use a punch and a hammer. Now knock one side in so you can get a hold of the edge and pull it out.

I thought there was 1 on the back and 3 on the passenger side?

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another hidden behind fan pulley mount.

This is sounding like a large project.... haha darn it!

6 minutes ago, trreed said:

And then all the little ones in the head if you're feeling extra adventurous. Did the machine shop redo those ones?

Great question I’ll have to ask

On 4/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, Tom Robarts said:

If I'm not mistaken there are freeze or expansion plugs behind the tappet cover as well.

Screenshot_20180407-215548.png

Oh no those are permanent freeze plugs I hope??!! I remember seeing those when I did my tappet gasket ?.