• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

JDHudsn

Any guesses where it’s LEAKING????

Ok guys I was towing my boat home from the lake as I was going up a hill in town I encountered a MAJOR problem. I dumped my entire coolant system. I just did a head gasket about 10K miles ago. I run ARP’s and I have an upgraded turbo. I know it’s leaking from the back of the block. Any guesses to what my problem is?

Posted (edited)

The freeze plug on the back of the block comes mind. Might have lost it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the driver side look up towards the back of the block and you'll be able to see the freeze plug back there. 

If your rotting out freeze plugs it might be a good idea to replace them all. Typically stems from people over using the coolant till its corrosive and the damage is done. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

From the driver side look up towards the back of the block and you'll be able to see the freeze plug back there. 

If your rotting out freeze plugs it might be a good idea to replace them all. Typically stems from people over using the coolant till its corrosive and the damage is done. 

The Freeze plug is completely gone. I have a hunch that my truck sat for many years. When I replaced the thermostat a long time ago the head looked like it had almost rusted something. Maybe the antifreeze went bad and etched the head🤔. How difficult is it to get the remaining 3 out? 

Edited by JDHudsn

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

There is more than 3 more. Typically use a punch and a hammer. Now knock one side in so you can get a hold of the edge and pull it out.

I thought there was 1 on the back and 3 on the passenger side?

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another hidden behind fan pulley mount.

This is sounding like a large project.... haha darn it!

6 minutes ago, trreed said:

And then all the little ones in the head if you're feeling extra adventurous. Did the machine shop redo those ones?

Great question I’ll have to ask

Any freeze plugs behind the trans?  

Probably going to have trans re-built this summer, anything I should change when 47re trans is out?

On 4/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, Tom Robarts said:

If I'm not mistaken there are freeze or expansion plugs behind the tappet cover as well.

Screenshot_20180407-215548.png

Oh no those are permanent freeze plugs I hope🙏🏼!! I remember seeing those when I did my tappet gasket 😅.