• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

I just got rid of my boost elbow and installed a manual boost controller recommended by @kzimmer.   It's the best $5.46 I ever spent on this truck.  

Now when I mash down on the go peddle the boost gauge jumps to 26psi, trans shifts up and boost goes to 28psi.  When it shifts to 4th, boost hits 30psi and speedo saying 80.

No more boost bleed off.

5ac922a49e511_Screenshot_20180320-171911.png.8a1f0e3619603bfc3f478aa3844a640f1.png.2f98364cb98ee68c558ecc55792b7c9a.png

There is a lot more room on the adjustment for more boost so how much more boost can I dial in and still be safe?   

• Like 3

Awesome! I was shitting bricks here afraid you wouldn't get the same one, or wouldn't come to the same conclusion. Either way, I guess we've spent more $ on less. Looks like it's working good though!

Edited by kzimmer
Typo

• Staff

This is the link.  The part comes out of Hong Kong.  When I ordered it the delivery date was posted to be 3 to 6 weeks, it came in a week.    

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-Manual-Boost-Controller-MBC-Ball-Spring-for-Turbocharged-Vehicle-O0B6/361900309685?hash=item5442f07cb5:g:HjgAAOSwNnRYmpXx

Edited by IBMobile
  • Thanks 2

• Owner
5 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

This is the link.  The part come out of Hong Kong.  When I ordered it the delivery date was posted to be 3 to 6 weeks, it came in a week.    

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-Manual-Boost-Controller-MBC-Ball-Spring-for-Turbocharged-Vehicle-O0B6/361900309685?hash=item5442f07cb5:g:HjgAAOSwNnRYmpXx

Thank you @IBMobile for posting that link. I just ordered on myself. I think this might help a bunch on my EGT issue and WOT if I'm not hitting the choke point of the turbo. 

• Like 1

• Staff
18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I guess I'll have to check with NAPA when I head back down to Ontario, OR on Tuesday.

NAPA has it part # EH227 1/4" turbocharger hose H/D truck silicone hose @ $17/ft.

This is a special order part and I would need to prepay the whole 50' roll for $850.  

I think not and will keep looking.

got to be dumb.  What exactly are we doing with $5 part. I believe I have a stick shift stock turbo on my automatic 98.5 truck. I have a hose that comes off the turbo and goes to what looks like a vacuum chambe with a rod. How can I benefit from this modification??

• Owner

Basically controlling the pressure getting to the wastegate. So if the hose was directly connect to the wastegate it would be open by 20 PSI and it quits building boost. This little 5 dollar part is going to regulate the pressure getting to the wastegate so the wastegate stay shut longer allowing you to build more boost. This does create more power. 

HX35W has a maximum limit of 35 PSI

HY35W has a maximum limit of 32 PSI

Beyond this your hitting the choke point of the turbo. If you had a drive pressure gauge hook up to the exhaust manifold and the boost pressure gauge you would see the drive pressure rising faster than boost which is the choke point and EGT's just take off from there.