• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.

I just got rid of my boost elbow and installed a manual boost controller recommended by @kzimmer.   It's the best $5.46 I ever spent on this truck.  

Now when I mash down on the go peddle the boost gauge jumps to 26psi, trans shifts up and boost goes to 28psi.  When it shifts to 4th, boost hits 30psi and speedo saying 80.

No more boost bleed off.

5ac922a49e511_Screenshot_20180320-171911.png.8a1f0e3619603bfc3f478aa3844a640f1.png.2f98364cb98ee68c558ecc55792b7c9a.png

There is a lot more room on the adjustment for more boost so how much more boost can I dial in and still be safe?   

• Like 3

My hybrid hx35/40 62/67/12 is supposed to be good to 35psi also but lots more volume according to Zack from http://www.northamericanturbo.com

I had it over 40 and it seems to keep pulling. I got my defuel set at 40 so 42-43 is max I see. I need bigger injectors for sure as my 75hp are way too clean. 

Posted (edited)

Awesome! I was shitting bricks here afraid you wouldn't get the same one, or wouldn't come to the same conclusion. Either way, I guess we've spent more $ on less. Looks like it's working good though!

Edited by kzimmer
Typo

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

@IBMobile

Were did you you get that at? I like it!

Same here. Where did you get that? Be way better than my nasty Edge Product elbow. Non-adjustable.

38 minutes ago, trreed said:

There was an eBay link posted a little while back by @kzimmer.  Come out of China. 

I love to see the link os I could possibly buy one... 

5 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

This is the link.  The part come out of Hong Kong.  When I ordered it the delivery date was posted to be 3 to 6 weeks, it came in a week.    

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-Manual-Boost-Controller-MBC-Ball-Spring-for-Turbocharged-Vehicle-O0B6/361900309685?hash=item5442f07cb5:g:HjgAAOSwNnRYmpXx

Thank you @IBMobile for posting that link. I just ordered on myself. I think this might help a bunch on my EGT issue and WOT if I'm not hitting the choke point of the turbo. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hose for fuel evap system till I can get silicone wastegate hose from a supplier tomorrow.   

Edited by IBMobile

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I guess I'll have to check with NAPA when I head back down to Ontario, OR on Tuesday.

NAPA has it part # EH227 1/4" turbocharger hose H/D truck silicone hose @ $17/ft.

This is a special order part and I would need to prepay the whole 50' roll for $850.  

I think not and will keep looking.

got to be dumb.  What exactly are we doing with $5 part. I believe I have a stick shift stock turbo on my automatic 98.5 truck. I have a hose that comes off the turbo and goes to what looks like a vacuum chambe with a rod. How can I benefit from this modification??

Basically controlling the pressure getting to the wastegate. So if the hose was directly connect to the wastegate it would be open by 20 PSI and it quits building boost. This little 5 dollar part is going to regulate the pressure getting to the wastegate so the wastegate stay shut longer allowing you to build more boost. This does create more power. 

HX35W has a maximum limit of 35 PSI

HY35W has a maximum limit of 32 PSI

Beyond this your hitting the choke point of the turbo. If you had a drive pressure gauge hook up to the exhaust manifold and the boost pressure gauge you would see the drive pressure rising faster than boost which is the choke point and EGT's just take off from there. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically controlling the pressure getting to the wastegate. So if the hose was directly connect to the wastegate it would be open by 20 PSI and it quits building boost. This little 5 dollar part is going to regulate the pressure getting to the wastegate so the wastegate stay shut longer allowing you to build more boost. This does create more power. 

HX35W has a maximum limit of 35 PSI

HY35W has a maximum limit of 32 PSI

Beyond this your hitting the choke point of the turbo. If you had a drive pressure gauge hook up to the exhaust manifold and the boost pressure gauge you would see the drive pressure rising faster than boost which is the choke point and EGT's just take off from there. 

thanks so much for getting back. So this adjustable pressure valve will adj. the pressure going to the wastegate allowing for more boost.   Will this effect the engine getting too much pressure when you quickly get off the throttle and you hear the the waste gate open and can that be a problem

27 minutes ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

thanks so much for getting back. So this adjustable pressure valve will adj. the pressure going to the wastegate allowing for more boost.   Will this effect the engine getting too much pressure when you quickly get off the throttle and you hear the the waste gate open and can that be a problem

Actually, that is called "Turbo Bark". That is not the wastegate but the built-up pressure attempting to spin the turbo backwards because the driven pressure dropped away too quickly. So the solution to that problem is to ease off the throttle not drop the throttle. 

@kzimmer I know you have compounds but why the change to this? Just looking for better resolution on controlling of the gate? 

I had trouble getting consistent pressure numbers between the primary and secondary. This was shortly after I decided to ditch the gross external wastegate setup I had and just drill out the gate on the HX35. I'd step on it, they'd spool, and the longer boost was held, the more the ratio would change. Depending what I did, the gate would blow open too early, or too late.

I had this laying around and decided to give it a try. It keeps the low pressure away from the gate reference while spooling so it doesn't open early, but still allows it to open fully when pressure overcomes the ball and spring. I think it helped hold the gate shut a little longer and not divert exhaust to the primary too early.

I think where the boost elbow falls short is it regulates flow to the wastegate reference, not pressure. You can use one to make the gate open a little later, but eventually that pressure will catch up on the outlet side of the boost elbow. My experience will be a lot different than someone with a single, but I think either way it gives a good level of control. 

I'd like to see a video of the boost gauge on a single turbo WOT run before and after. I think the $5 controller will peak and hold a little better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kzimmer said:

I had trouble getting consistent pressure numbers between the primary and secondary. This was shortly after I decided to ditch the gross external wastegate setup I had and just drill out the gate on the HX35. I'd step on it, they'd spool, and the longer boost was held, the more the ratio would change. Depending what I did, the gate would blow open too early, or too late.

I had this laying around and decided to give it a try. It keeps the low pressure away from the gate reference while spooling so it doesn't open early, but still allows it to open fully when pressure overcomes the ball and spring. I think it helped hold the gate shut a little longer and not divert exhaust to the primary too early.

I think where the boost elbow falls short is it regulates flow to the wastegate reference, not pressure. You can use one to make the gate open a little later, but eventually that pressure will catch up on the outlet side of the boost elbow. My experience will be a lot different than someone with a single, but I think either way it gives a good level of control. 

I'd like to see a video of the boost gauge on a single turbo WOT run before and after. I think the $5 controller will peak and hold a little better.

Thank you. I may have to look into one of these as I am planning on compounds for my junk. I could give feedback on the single charger aspect on it as well. @trreed this may solve your gauge bounce.