• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust Brake Question

MnTom

My "new to me" truck is a 2005 Ram 3500 auto and it has a Banks exhaust brake and a CBC Smartlock on it. It is vacuum operated, but doesn't work. There is vacuum to the actuator when needed, but it appears the diaphragm leaks. A new actuator from Banks is $137.76 (part #55062). Anybody replace one? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Banks brake.

I have a Banks brake on mine with the same problem. Me, I would spend the $140 for a new actuator. I dont know that the Banks is any better or worse than the others out there since I do not know anyone close enough by to compare. Mine worked fine up until the day it just quit. Been in for about 6 or 7 years I believe.

Michael, this set up has its own vacuum pump that gets mounted to the engine and is belt driven. https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.bankspower.com/sdc/manual/97055-Dodge Exhaust Brake System-v9_web.pdf

Dripley, that's what I was thinking too. I have considered converting it to air pressure, but then I wold need to engineer a mount for a cylinder. That would be way more work than it needs to be. Besides, when I get back to Mn I have a lot of other stuff to do to my truck and trailer, including installing air ride to the trailer.

• Owner

Wow after reviewing that manual it like WOW. That is a lot of extra stuff for exhaust brake set up.

The PacBrake I seen n a 3rd Gen had everything including the compressor, tank and most of the setup stuff in the passenger fender. Very small package and only taps the ECM for throttle signal. 

As for replacement, I would just get another valve and just replace it. 

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wow after reviewing that manual it like WOW. That is a lot of extra stuff for exhaust brake set up.

The PacBrake I seen n a 3rd Gen had everything including the compressor, tank and most of the setup stuff in the passenger fender. Very small package and only taps the ECM for throttle signal. 

As for replacement, I would just get another valve and just replace it. 

Don't forget the CBC trans controller! The trans controller actually works pretty good. This truck even with the Tow/Haul engaged still allows overdrive to work. With the controller I can lock out OD and have the converter locked in second. That would be a good thing if I get the brake working. The actuator is about 1/10 the cost of a new brake.

• 2 weeks later...

On the 2006 and up t he ask is programmed for an EB. So automatic trans trucks are programmed to lock the TC via the on off switch. So there are two wires going into the ecm. One for throttle signal and one to control TC lockup. Just put pacbrake on my truck in December. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Did you replace the actuator?

I suspect my Jacobs has a diaprahm issue but Jacobs no longer supports the brake. I'll likely be ordering a PRXB here in the near future. 

The Jacobs and Banks appear identical, but both companies claim they are different and I can't interchange parts... that would be the cheapest way. 

No, I haven't done anything with it yet. I am planning on fixing it when I get back to Minnesota in about a month. Does the Jacobs brake work off of pressure or vacuum? The Banks is vacuum operated.

I suppose the Jacobs would be about 1/2 price too....... Just looked at a Jacob's. The actuator looks the same, but the mount is different and it is spot welded on, so, not interchangeable......

Edited by MnTom

• 1 month later...

I FINALLY got the actuator on! So far so good. I really like the EB! Gonna make it much better when I have my trailer on! Now to see when I get my trailer back.........