• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Borgeson steering box

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

I got the steer box with what looks like the adaptor on it. The price was right, free.   

I installed a new Borgeson steering gear box on my truck a few years ago.  You may not be getting what you think you are getting, but I think you will like the steering gear box either way.  Borgeson sold two different steering gear boxes under the same part number - one is a quick ratio, and the other is a variable ratio.  I got the variable ratio. 

The following information is copied from a post I did for the TDR about three years ago.  You may be interested in the read.

"Borgeson Steering Gear Box 800120 - Things You Should Know..."

Last winter I did some steering and suspension maintenance to give my 2002 truck (then at 215,000 miles) a second life. I upgraded to a Borgeson steering box and a Borgeson steering shaft. At the time Borgeson advertised that model 800120 steering box would reduce steering wheel turns from stop to stop to about 3 1/2 turns. My original steering box that I removed from my truck took 4 1/4 turns from stop to stop, so I was looking forward to a significant improvement.

After installing the pitman arm on the new Borgeson steering box I noticed that it took exactly four turns from stop to stop. I thought that was rather odd, so I contacted my supplier who confirmed that only one model was made by Borgeson to fit '94-'02 Dodge trucks. So, I installed it on the truck and gave it a test drive thinking that it would feel much the same as my other one. Actually, it steered much better straight ahead and definitely had a faster ratio when turning sharp which didn't make sense to me because the ratio was only slightly faster than the one I replaced.

I contacted Borgeson and explained that although I was happy with the overall results, I was really expecting significantly less turns of the steering wheel - as was advertised. The representative said that the 800120 is the only steering box available for '94-'02 Dodge trucks. I asked if there was someone I could talk to who could explain why the steering box that I purchased takes four full turns from stop to stop. I was transferred to an engineer and during our discussion the engineer noticed that there were two slightly different steering boxes that were being packaged and sold under the same part number (800120). She said that one was a 14:1 ratio (3 1/2 turns from stop to stop) and the other was a variable ratio with a higher ratio in the centered position. Now things began to make sense to me as to why the steering box installed on my truck felt so responsive, but did not meet my expected 3 1/2 turns from stop to stop. The engineer also said that the customer could not choose which one to purchase; either one could be shipped. I thanked her for the information she provided and I offered a recommendation that Borgeson might consider re-wording how the steering box is marketed (specifically the 3 1/2 turns statement).

Even though my initial expectation was for a faster ratio steering box, I am still very satisfied with what I received. I just wanted to let other Dodge truck owners who are considering upgrading to a Borgeson 800120 steering box that I believe it is a very good upgrade, but one may receive a steering box different from their expectations.

- John
  • Thanks 3

I couple years ago I put a chevy box on my truck. Its the quicker ratio box.

Truck steers pretty tight with it. Was a direct fit, no changes or issues at all.

Only thing I will mention is it takes a little more driver strength in slow speed manuvers.

Regards Chris 

• Staff
3 hours ago, dripley said:

I likes free!!!

Well yes and no.  I helped talk him through a complete engine overhaul he was doing on a turbo Volvo. 

He had the steering gear still in its' shipping box.  He said the people that owned the house before him left it when they moved out. 

48 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Well yes and no.  I helped talk him through a complete engine overhaul he was doing on a turbo Volvo. 

He had the steering gear still in its' shipping box.  He said the people that owned the house before him left it when they moved out. 

Still a pretty fair trade all in all.

• Owner
On 4/10/2018 at 11:28 PM, IBMobile said:

Borgeson Model #800120 quick ratio steering box. 

Do not sell this to anyone with oversized tires. 

I've got a quick ratio box coming from Blue top Steering Gear. Like Ryan said to me quick ratio is fine for stock tires and smaller like myself. Oversized tires need step down to standard ratio. 

Ive redone/ converted a few old '60s jeep CJ 5s and a 64 jeep truck steering systems with up front mount Chevy Camero sagnaw boxes. Camero boxes are quicker ratio. Worked out great on Old Jeeps. Id replace the jeep steering columns with chevy columns, shafts,joints, etc also