• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.

So I got a buddy who’s looking into a Dodge and potentially a 3rd gen. He’s looking to get somethin to tow his boat, which is 15k. I suggested he get a dually since he’ll be bumper pulling that much weight the extra stability and load bearing would help. 

Mainly looking for the commonly known issues on the 3rd gens if that’s the route he ends up going. He’s also considering a 2nd gen but I should have that covered pretty well.

Anything in particular I should check or look at with him looking to tow that much? 

I heard fuel lines break for no reason, then the whole injectors problem if not caught on time causes a serious damage to engine. They seem to rust away faster than second gen. Nice having four doors and beefier axles. I myself like single rear wheel and would probably skip over 3rd gen and get a 4th. How big is the boat I tow a pretty good size boat few times a year with no problems at all, a lot of it has to do with the trailer how its setup.

An old member here, @cajflynn, towed boats all over the country with his 2nd gen 2500. Some as big you describe. Weight I am not sure of, but he put 1.3 million miles on that truck until somebody hit him and totaled it. @Mopar1973Man has a picture or two somewhere. I pull 15k with mine, but in a 5th wheel set up.

So what would be the recommendation as far as bumper pulling that much weight? I'm sure the tounge weight is well over the max recommended for the stock hitch on a 2nd or 3rd gen. 

The bumper is not carrying the weight, the receiver hitch mounted to the frame is. I don't know what the stock receiver is rated for, the stickers on mine are long gone. Might be engraved on it some where. There are different classes of receivers with different weight ratings, I don't know much about them however.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

Here is a little info on it.

I think the hitch is rated to 10k and tounge weight is 1k but that's off the top of my head so could be off. Either way, 15k is over the weight for that stock hitch if it really is 10k and I'm sure a 15k boat is going to have a pretty heafty tounge weight.

According to the link a class V rated at 20k would do it. 

• Like 1

The tag on my factory hitch looks like this

hitch type                               trailer weight             tongue weight

weight distributing                  10,000 lb.                    1,000 lb.  

weight carrying                         5.000 lb.                      500 lb.

• Thanks 1

You can just hang your truck on the tree after you done power washing it to let the water drip off with that hitch