• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv5600 stripped 2nd gear

So I took off with a little extra spirit today and second gear decided to check out.  Does anybody have and parts or have a good source to get whatever parts I may need when I open this can of worms?  Also one more thing would help greatly is how much does this trans and transfer case weigh separately?

Parts for a 5600 aren't readily available because they're not supported anymore. Tools are insanely expensive, and iirc you need something like a 150 ton press to get gears off the main shaft. I'm not saying this to discourage you or be a ****.

There's a guy out of Texas, Cody Albrecht, who rebuilds these transmissions. Might want to get in touch with him about it.  He warranties them to 700 hp. I’ll be sending mine to him when I inevitably blow it up. 

Transmission is heavy. Like 450ish pounds. Transfer case is like 75-100 pounds 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ekillionc9 said:

So you need special tools and there is only one guy that fixes them? I find that hard to believe 

There are several sources for rebuilt NV5600 and people  will work on them. The results are not always good. There are also a lot of cheap parts on the market that won't last. They only made these tranny for 6 or 7 years and when Dodge stopped using them New Venture shut the the production line down including spare parts. They are pricey to work on and do require special tools and a heavy duty press for some of the work.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking if I ever need one I'll try to find a good used for decent price, if unable to do so I'll look for nv4500 and last option would be to put something out of commercial use that will bolt to engine and I'll make everything else work, possibly np205 divorced case as I'm very familiar with them and used and abused them in offroad with different setups, never blew one up. 

11 minutes ago, Ekillionc9 said:

So I've found a rebuilt trans for $2200 and I contacted the guy from Texas and he wants $2200. I think I'd get the rebuilt trans for the same price and I'll have two transmissions. 

Doesn't sound too bad, make sure it's got some sort of warranty and a bigger input shaft,  early versions had smaller one.

28 minutes ago, Ekillionc9 said:

So I've found a rebuilt trans for $2200 and I contacted the guy from Texas and he wants $2200. I think I'd get the rebuilt trans for the same price and I'll have two transmissions. 

Thats pretty cheap. I would check him real good before I sent any money. Does he not want a core back? A core is pretty normal as far have seen anyway.

• Owner

This is why parts are hard to get ahold of.

After 124 years, on Thursday, August 24, 2012, New Process Gear ended production and closed their doors for the last time.

The NV5600 is a Heavy Duty close ratio 6-speed manual transmission that was used in 1998-2005 Dodge RAM 2500 and 3500 Series ¾ ton and 1 ton Trucks with the 5.9L Cummins Engines.

As for the NV4500 was use a lot longer and used by both Chevy and Dodge.

The New Venture Gear 4500, commonly called NV4500, is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by New Venture Gear and used in General Motors and Chrysler products from 1991–2007.

Which means there are more aftermarket suppliers for the NV4500 transmission. Hence why parts are still hard ti get for the NV5600 and typically cost more. 

• Like 1