• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another Vp44 question.

Ok I was wondering does a vp ever get weak or worn out. 

I installed a Fass 95 and a sump works great runs at 17 18 psi all the time. 

Installed new Bosch rv275 injectors and a Quadzilla xzt. 

Every once in a while it idles very slightly rough very slightly. 

Tonight the wife and I went out to dinner and took a drive we went a back road three the hills it had a 5 mile down hill stretch I didn't feel it but the engine died didn't realize it till I went to use the brakes and had no power. Pulled over and it started backup after a few revolutions. I have a new Vp44 just need to put it in. 

Thoughts anyone?

• Owner
26 minutes ago, Standard Cab01 said:

Ok I was wondering does a vp ever get weak or worn out. 

Yes. If you are not using a lube in your fuel the lifespan typically is about 100-150k miles and pump typically wears out.

27 minutes ago, Standard Cab01 said:

Every once in a while it idles very slightly rough very slightly.

This could be an injector dropping pop pressure or air being drawn into the fuel. 

28 minutes ago, Standard Cab01 said:

Tonight the wife and I went out to dinner and took a drive we went a back road three the hills it had a 5 mile down hill stretch I didn't feel it but the engine died didn't realize it till I went to use the brakes and had no power. Pulled over and it started backup after a few revolutions. I have a new Vp44 just need to put it in. 

I would vote for air in the fuel possibly or maybe on a reach... Maybe valve lash before jumping towards that VP44. After all this I would look towards the injectors acting goofy. Bosch RV275 don't mean that they all popped the same and flow the same. Could have one popping low. If all this checks out you could try the pump but it don't sound like VP44 time for me it still starts and runs. Typically when a pump goes they don't run or barely run. Mine would barely run and only drive 20-30 MPH WOT with heavy/nasty timing knock. 

Truck had 88000 miles when I got it.

I've been running 2 stroke in it myself currently has 117000 miles.

I've had dead peddle a few times. Happened quite often when I had the bank ottomind box the banks gauges would freeze and it wouldn't pull any boost. 

• Owner
Just now, Standard Cab01 said:

I've had dead peddle a few times. Happened quite often when I had the bank ottomind box the banks gauges would freeze and it wouldn't pull any boost. 

Not a quality tuner. I would ditch that. If it creates errors on the CANBus it can create a dead pedal event if the values are out of range. I've seen two Banks tuners act really goofy and weird creating all kind of strange things. Unhook then no problem ran fine. Hook them up and dead pedal, limit power on the top end. Unhook and back to running strong. 

1 minute ago, Standard Cab01 said:

Truck had 88000 miles when I got it.

I've been running 2 stroke in it myself currently has 117000 miles.

My last pump lasted till 243k miles till the timing piston jammed full advanced and threw the P0216 code. Limped home at 20-30 MPH just knocking like 6 mechanical trying to beat there way out with a 6-pound sledgehammer. 

Keep going...

I reset the valves when I changed the injectors. 

As far as I know no air in system has a leak in the tee for the fuel gauge but I took care of that

I still have a 1693 code but need to have a better scanner to find out what's causing it got rid of banks and got an xzt.

• Owner
9 hours ago, Standard Cab01 said:

I still have a 1693 code but need to have a better scanner

For sure that scanner isn't seeing both computers for some reason. 

got rid of banks and got an xzt.

Still could be a MAP sensor or CANBus problems. But it would do better to find out about that error code.