• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Push starting a manual transmission Cummins

If a pump is driven by the output shaft, then yes, the pump will be turning when the car is pushed. But almost all pumps these days are driven off the input shafts, meaning its impossible to turn them by push starting. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 2:01 PM, Royal Squire said:

If I’m not mistaken, if a transmission has a rear pump like a TH 400, it is possible to push start, though I’ve never done it. Maybe @Dynamic has some input on this. 

Not that I've ever experienced, but I can't say I've spent much time trying. I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't sound easy or convenient.

BTW, a TH400 does not have a rear pump...just FWIW.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:02 AM, Royal Squire said:

You should know.  What transmission does have a rear pump?

The only one I can think of (there may be others) off the top of my head would be a Powerglide. Those have a rear mounted pump.

• Staff

The truck won't know the difference. The starter spins the flywheel, and when roll starting the transmission spins the flywheel... everything is the same in terms of the ECM/injection pump, etc. 

Once you get it spinning a little it should actually spin over easier than a gasser since there is no airflow restriction, it's just initial high compression you have to get over. 

I've started mine this way numerous times when stopped on inclined dirt roads after shutting the engine down. As long as you don't pop the clutch it's very smooth, and pick a gear that will put the rpms around 1500 or less. 

• Like 1