• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Push starting a manual transmission Cummins

Seem to remember someone mentioning this before. Out of curiosity let's say you have 10 people pushing your truck or you could roll down the hill or you could tow it with a different vehicle, can a manual transmission Cummins be pop started, will everything work as it should, lift pump for example. Mainly talking about the vp44 truck but would like to know any info possible. 

49 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have jump started mine many times over the years with no ill effects. Used 3rd or 4th and never gave it a thought.

In my experience, “jump starting” usually refers to the process of starting by using jumper/booster cables between a fully charged battery and a discharged battery. Don’t believe that is what you’re referring to here, so was confused for a minute.  

Maybe another “regional” term. 

2 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

In my experience, “jump starting” usually refers to the process of starting by using jumper/booster cables between a fully charged battery and a discharged battery. Don’t believe that is what you’re referring to here, so was confused for a minute.  

Maybe another “regional” term. 

I have referred to both using cables and popping the clutch as "jump starting" over the years. Since @Dieselfuture was talking about popping, rolling, and pushing I figured all would get the idea. I agree, you get the cables out and "jump" somebody off. If I am by myself and roll it to "jump" it off with the clutch, that can be confusing. I think its what you grow up with.

Didn’t mean to criticize, it just seems I’m so easily confused these days. 

You’re saying that a 24v is easily started by rolling down a hill and releasing the clutch?  I’ve pushed or pull started a lot of vehicles, but never one of these. 

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. 

13 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Didn’t mean to criticize, it just seems I’m so easily confused these days. 

You’re saying that a 24v is easily started by rolling down a hill and releasing the clutch?  I’ve pushed or pull started a lot of vehicles, but never one of these. 

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. 

No offense taken at all. I understand the confusion. Maybe I have been living in the chicken coop to long.

I have started all my manuals with the clutch over the years, but i will say this, the Cummins starts with a bit more shock to the drive line than a gassers I have had.

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 1

Around here it is called; "Bump Starting" & "Push Starting".  Never tried it on the Dodge/Cummins, but when I was a kid we used to have to do it frequently to get old 2 stroke dirt bikes running and find myself having to do it once in a while on a vintage dirt bike or two occasionally.  Thing is, I get out of breath faster than when I was a teenager!  haha :lol3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Michaelsloft said:

Thing is, I get out of breath faster than when I was a teenager!  haha :lol3:

I can identify with that. If I have an idea its coming I will park nose down hill. I have starting in reverse once or twice but got to have some speed for that. No speed and the clutch might as well be a brake pedal.

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I guess it would of made more sense if title said (Push starting a Cummins with a manual transmission). It's a bit late now and we're all on a same page. 

I was thinking maybe something in ecm or vp would not be happy, but guess not.

If you had done that look at all the cultural differences we would have missed out on. :hug:

• Like 1

• Owner
38 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I was thinking maybe something in ecm or vp would not be happy, but guess not.

Actually, my truck was more pissed off to the fact of the battery being stone dead. Battery charger and the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 hooked up on the other battery and it took 30 minutes to get it started. After it did start I had a P1688 code. After 5 key cycles, the CEL went off so it's all good for now. 

• Like 1

• Staff

Seems like push starting a Cummins would be enough force to affect the earths spin. lol

Seems to me in High school I remember push starting a car so many times that you could see the differential loose and spin when they let out the clutch. It seemed to stop when the drive line reached the end of its length and held it from turning any further. By then the old car had started.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Seems like push starting a Cummins would be enough force to affect the earths spin.

I think everyone knows that a responsible "push starter" would do it twice, the second time in the opposite direction.

- John

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Seems like push starting a Cummins would be enough force to affect the earths spin. lol

Don't let nasholes see this post, they'll be changing their theory of relativity and come up with another way of charging us fees for day light savings. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Haha 1

• Staff

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Don't let nasholes see this post, they'll be changing their theory of relativity and come up with another way of charging us fees for day light savings. 

Especially if the guys running higher horsepower start causing more days in a year.

You guys is funny:burnout2:

• Haha 1

• Owner
3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm now wondering if it's possible to push, roll, pop, bump, kick, start an automatic Cummins with torque converter locked up ( on a switch ) 

No. The automatics rely on pressure. So to prove that point put in any forward gear and you'll see it will just roll off the top of a mountain. As long as the transmission pump isn't pumping that transmission is in neutral. No way to shift gears in to first or any gear. Need pressure.