• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

To replace my VP44 or no to

So I'm bored here at work thinking deep, Have 206k on my 01, factory VP.

Im second owner, bought at 120k miles December of 2015. Previous owner hauled camper to Florida and back and maintained it with regular oil and filter changes all documented. 

First thing I did was on my way home order a Air dog rapotor factory replacement. 2 days later it showed up and ran fleetguard fs19855 filters with 5k miles changes. That pump died in August of 2017.

Then a Fass titanium 165 was put on and I ran the factory Fass filters for 11k miles and am doing 15k mile changes on fleetguard fs1000 and CAT IR0750.

And every oil change I buy a 16oz silver bottle of Power Service n run it through accordingly. Then in winter I run the white bottle power service stuff pretty much every fill up. Oh and I'm pretty good about draining water separator.

So my question is, should I as preventive maintenance replace my VP44. I plan of getting a 2 year warranty one from Thoroughbred diesel. Living in Wyoming and my lifestyle and job putting me in remote places and on the road alot being stranded isn't a option. I've done reading and found some older post on various sites. The post are mixed with lots of my electronics died at 30k and my factory one lasted 400k. So do I gamble on my Uber anal maintenance getting me high milage or do I just replace it? Thanks

42 minutes ago, mj23polaris said:

So I'm bored here at work thinking deep, Have 206k on my 01, factory VP.

Im second owner, bought at 120k miles December of 2015. Previous owner hauled camper to Florida and back and maintained it with regular oil and filter changes all documented. 

First thing I did was on my way home order a Air dog rapotor factory replacement. 2 days later it showed up and ran fleetguard fs19855 filters with 5k miles changes. That pump died in August of 2017.

Then a Fass titanium 165 was put on and I ran the factory Fass filters for 11k miles and am doing 15k mile changes on fleetguard fs1000 and CAT IR0750.

And every oil change I buy a 16oz silver bottle of Power Service n run it through accordingly. Then in winter I run the white bottle power service stuff pretty much every fill up. Oh and I'm pretty good about draining water separator.

So my question is, should I as preventive maintenance replace my VP44. I plan of getting a 2 year warranty one from Thoroughbred diesel. Living in Wyoming and my lifestyle and job putting me in remote places and on the road alot being stranded isn't a option. I've done reading and found some older post on various sites. The post are mixed with lots of my electronics died at 30k and my factory one lasted 400k. So do I gamble on my Uber anal maintenance getting me high milage or do I just replace it? Thanks

Maybe if you have the cash buy a spare to keep around but if your not having codes or any issues I certainly wouldn’t blow the money. 

First I would ditch the power service and start using 2 cycle oil, TCW3. Wal Mart super tech is readily available and reasonably priced. Here is some info.

I would also agree with the above. If it is not giving you any trouble or codes i dont think I would replace it. Just getting one for spare might be troublesome since a core deposit is required, usually with a time limit on the return or the vendor will keep your core deposit.

@Mopar1973Man's last pump had 243k or so miles on it when it went, mine has 220k on it and still running. Both were remans and not the oe and both have seen 2 cycle their entire lives. My oe and Mike's had right 75k on them when they died.

The power service does the opposite o 2 cycle. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Man that's a tough one,  if it's truly original you are on borrowed time,  even with all the proper maintenance 250k is about an average. Yours can go any moment without a warning. I guess if you truly concerned either have a backup plan for Towing and survival kits, etc... or just change it out now if you have spare cash and time. Thoroughbred is a good place, 2 years is a good warranty, I would go for Industrial Injection as they seem to have good stuff. 

I often think myself when my VP is going to go and also thought about just changing it out so I know the history of it. 

As mentioned above start using 2-cycle oil in your fuel. I do use anti gel powerservice in the winter together with 2-cycle, against some good advice. But unfortunately where I live, fuel is not treated very well so I kind of have to.

• Like 1

If you're in some serious back woods type stuff and are already pointing out that dependability in #1 then I'd just replace it. We can sit here all day and tell you that it SHOULD last, problem is, if and when it does, we're not the ones dealing with that problem out in bum **** wherever. I'm like minded in the sense that I'd rather have everything be installed on my watch so I'll know the history and take care of it accordingly, but I never am in a situation where I'd be without service or the ability to get help somewhat quickly. In your case it seems like it might be worth it to just install new.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

You're going to have to sooner or later. If it gives you piece of mind then that is worth more than the cost of a new one. Definitely run TCW3 no matter what you decide

L8tr

Yep not having to worry is a big thing.

Said hell with it pull trigger on Thoroughbred VP and got a new pushrod cover gasket. Figured wile I'm in there might as well bc my reading has shown it's gonna leak eventually haha

I will start using 2 cycle oil, thanks for all the help and opinions

• Like 2

• Staff
1 hour ago, mj23polaris said:

Yep not having to worry is a big thing.

Said hell with it pull trigger on Thoroughbred VP and got a new pushrod cover gasket. Figured wile I'm in there might as well bc my reading has shown it's gonna leak eventually haha

I will start using 2 cycle oil, thanks for all the help and opinions

Don't forget a good mechanical fuel pressure gauge if you don't already have one. Then you can monitor fuel pressure to stay above the critical 14 p.s.i. level.

Make certain new VP got a new computer on top.

I always gave my oe VP heavier doses of 2 cycle. It ran 4 yrs with the 0216 code and never quit. Was just a matter of time so I had Michael Nelson change it. I still run a little heavier doses than most recommend w/o any problem.

I kept my oe VP so I have another to get rebuilt if ever needed.

Not to stir the pot..... I don't like the walmart brand of 2 cycle oil. I could be wrong, but it seems like its thinned down, a little less like oil compared to other brands I use.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

@Dieselfuture In how the serial number on the pump ends.  027 is SO, 028 is HO, and 029 is industrial application, 

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Not to stir the pot..... I don't like the walmart brand of 2 cycle oil. I could be wrong, but it seems like its thinned down, a little less like oil compared to other brands I use.

I agree with this.  My truck doesn't like that oil either.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

I'm usually paying real close to 20 bucks a gallon and use Pennzoil or buy a full case of 1 gallon jugs for a good discount at West Marine. Lately I'm using the brand that O' Reillys sells called 'Mystik' if not mistaken.

My truck likes the bio diesel blends. I know alot of you don't trust it but my trucks runs and performs on it well. I have been using for 4+ years with no problems. I just wish they would label the pumps better so you knew what you are getting. The pumps on my trips to Maryland state 5% to 20%. 5% and below dosn't require any label.