• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Anyone know if there is an OBD  PID for idle mode? Say for instance my truck had a weird lopey idle and I suspected that the APPS is rapidly jumping from idle mode to off-idle (because the truck also jumps out of fast-idle mode when it's cold). I know I can check it with a meter, but I was hoping I could monitor it from obd.

Thanks.

The OBDlink can monitor the TPS. That would tell you if it is jumping around.

L8tr

D

obdlink will tell you if there is throttle input, but not if the IVS is switching on and off.  

Idle state is controlled by another "function" of the apps.

Sigh, that's what I was afraid of. Ya my OBD setup (Torque Pro) just bottoms out the throttle at 9%. It's a common issue and doesn't really tell me anything unfortunately.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Posted (edited)

If it was me I would just change out for a Timbo's APPS being it fully a mechanical APPS sensor and no electronics. Then it a matter of angle to trip the IVS switches than voltage. As long as the angle is right then the IVS should be in the idle position.

TPS should show 0% at idle. 

If you've done any voltage adjustment that is what screwed it up. NEVER adjust the voltage of the APPS to match the tag. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 4/17/2018 at 8:37 PM, Me78569 said:

obdlink will tell you if there is throttle input, but not if the IVS is switching on and off.  

Idle state is controlled by another "function" of the apps.

I stand corrected and figured that after postings. Thx

L8tr

D

I still have much to learn

On 4/18/2018 at 8:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

If it was me I would just change out for a Timbo's APPS being it fully a mechanical APPS sensor and no electronics. Then it a matter of angle to trip the IVS switches than voltage. As long as the angle is right then the IVS should be in the idle position.

I have a Banks Brake and I don't think the Timbo will work with a Banks, otherwise I'd get one. Haven't made any adjustments, although I've read your info on how to do it properly (I tested the APPS with a meter maybe 4 years ago and everything checked out fine). Still the original APPS after 20 years and 280k miles.

Most definitely will. Had the Timbo on mine long before the Banks EB.

11 hours ago, dripley said:

Most definitely will. Had the Timbo on mine long before the Banks EB.

Good to know, thanks!