• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've been leaking oil from the drivers side of the motor and my fear was the tappet cover which I just replace..... But turns out the oil is coming from a port in the block just below the motor mount. (see picture).

My question.... Is this threaded? or was there a plug or something in the hole that maybe blow out?

oil leak.JPG

And how do I keep this from happening again?

I connected an oil pressure switch in that general location a long time. It was a threaded hole with a plug in it. But as I remember the hole was horizontal and not vertical like shown in the picture. It does look like something was installed there at one time. Is that your engine in the picture?

I would also think that if it Is the same as I used it leak like a flood since the hole was under pressure.

No that's just a picture I found on the Internet but thats what my block looks like.

It's not shooting oil out or even dripping while it's idles, so maybe it's not where it's leaking from. Im just getting oil on the driver side from somewhere, everything gets coated on the drivers side at about the bottom of the pcm down, when I drive it for about a week. I can see most of the tappet covery gasket and it looks pretty clean. So I don't think that ls the issue, plus I just changed it back in February(12v cover) I thought maybe it was coming from the spot in the above pic bc when I put my finger over the hole it felt like there was a little pressure like crank case pressure. Maybe it was just my imagination lol

The port I used can be used for a mechanical oil pressure gauge so it would be under pressure. Maybe your vacuum pump needs to be resealed or your oil pan is leaking. The way the air blows around under there its not always easy to see where its comi g from. FYI, it's the ECM on the block, PCM is on the firewall.