• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Yeah... I did my HX35/40 Hybrid.

All I can say is have lots of PB Blaster handy. You might want to have the taps for cleaning all the threads up. Take your time and make sure to assemble everything correctly. If you missed anything during assembly and the wheels won't turn with the nut in place double check again. I forgot my thrust washer. After that, the nut tighten up fine and spun true. 

• Like 1

I forgot,,, Is my '99 turbo a HX35?

Who're  you guys getting your rebuild kit from?

I saw that 35/40 rebuild upgrade on someones web site somewhere  last year but I forgot that too

I know my turbo probably needs attention/ bearings and seals , new shaft?

• Like 1

Yes, your turbo is an HX35 @GSP7. Genuine Holset kits can be found at DAP for around $60.  Check if you have oil in the intake side. That's a sign you need seals. And any linear movement of the shaft means you need a rebuild. Wheels and shaft should be OK unless something went through the compressor wheel. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

• Owner
10 hours ago, GSP7 said:

I forgot,,, Is my '99 turbo a HX35?

Who're  you guys getting your rebuild kit from?

I saw that 35/40 rebuild upgrade on someones web site somewhere  last year but I forgot that too

I know my turbo probably needs attention/ bearings and seals , new shaft?

Same kit is used on that hybrid as your stock HX35W turbo.

DAP

When you take yours apart you'll see how easy it would be to make a HX35/40. Basically the turbine from your stock HX35 and exhaust stays. Now swap out the 35 compressor wheel and housing for the 40 compressor and housing. There is a bit of machine work needed to make the 40 wheel fit though. You'll see what I mean once you rebuild your turbo. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, trreed said:

Oil in the compressor housing could be from an oiled air filter. 

It had a s&b when I bought it.

Checked boost leaks and found one good sized leak. Tightened the clamp and also installed DAP boost elbow. Truck seems much more powerful but that could be due to the elbow. I’m going to hold off on rebuilding the turbo for now. Going to do a apps reset as well.

Its going to be a laggy down low. Just the nature of the truck with no tuner on it.You are pretty much stock right now aren't you? Or did you put some bigger injectors in recently?

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Funny part for @dripley ... I Remember seeing him join with a Banks tuner. Then as time went I keep trying to convince Dripley to give up the Banks for a Edge Comp. Just as he bails ship from Banks to Edge Comp. I jump ship later from Edge Comp to Quadzilla. Now I'm doing it all over again trying to convince Dripley to drop that smokey Edge Comp for the clean running Quadzilla. 

:sofa:

I'm sure he would like to just... :spank:

• Haha 2

• Owner

@5Solas meet up with me in Ontario yesterday. Talking a bit of truck in the parking lot. He's a newbie to the diesel family. So after about an hour of talking shop. I asked if he wanted to take a ride in my beast? "Sure", he said. I played it very cool and drove nice and easy from the parking lot over to the on-ramp of the I84 interstate. Then I let it have it. Poor guy was rather shocked to see that stock looking truck hauling as I hit 75 MPH at the end of the on-ramp merging in. 

My last little tweak where I'm tunning for summer fuel and my 2 cycle oil now. It got enough power to break tires loose easy now. 

@Marcus2000monster you might want to focus that energy on the Quadzilla next... :whistle:

• Haha 1