• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not the normal A/D filter replacement

I've got an AirDog 165, and a CAT 2um filter, supplying my dual CP3's. So the A/D pulls from my sump sends it through my Baldwin BF1275, then to my Fleetgaurd FF5617, then to my CAT 1R-0750, and finally to the CP3's. I often run through the deserts of California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas so fuel stations are few and far between, and often I just have to get fuel where I can. Injectors and CP3's are expensive and breaking down on the side of the road is even worse with those costs. My question is, I know the BF1275 is the best F/WS I can use, but the Fleetgaurd isn't the best F/F I can use. What filter should I use on the A/D that would still flow adequately and compliment my CAT filter? I'm thinking something in the 5-10um rating at 100GPH. Or should I just use the Donaldson P551313 on the A/D and get rid of my CAT filter? Again I can't always get the best fuel, but I always use Stanadyne Lubricity Formula at every fill-up and want the best protection for my 100hp injectors, and dual CP3's. Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide. With that said please provide some evidence to back up what you say, such as micron and GPH ratings.

29 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Man you need to talk to is @AH64ID he is the website filter guru. 

I have quoted him on another post on this forum and tried to reach out to him on cumminsforum.com, igotacummins.com, and turbodieselregister.com  I've also sent him a PM on cumminsforum.com  I even personally tagged him on my igotacummins.com post

Edited by ecurnes8888

• Staff

You're going to be hard pressed to find a filter that will meet the flow potential of the AD165 in the thread size offered by the AD165. 

That being said, lots of the flow is lost to build pressure so most of the time it will be within the ratings of the filter. 

You're correct that the BF1275 is what you should be running on the suction side. 

There just aren't a lot of options for the 7/8-14 thread that AD uses on the pressure side. The P551315 is probably your best bet and it's a 90 GPH filter. 

And a FF5817 as the final filter. IMHO it's the best 3µ filter media you can buy. 

If the FF5817 won't fit then look at the FF5814, it's the same filter but shorter. 

You could try a FF5322/P551312 in place of the P551315, but it's taller and there is a very small gasket diameter difference and it's about 1/2" bigger around. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AH64ID said:

You're going to be hard pressed to find a filter that will meet the flow potential of the AD165 in the thread size offered by the AD165. 

That being said, lots of the flow is lost to build pressure so most of the time it will be within the ratings of the filter. 

You're correct that the BF1275 is what you should be running on the suction side. 

There just aren't a lot of options for the 7/8-14 thread that AD uses on the pressure side. The P551315 is probably your best bet and it's a 90 GPH filter. 

And a FF5817 as the final filter. IMHO it's the best 3µ filter media you can buy. 

If the FF5817 won't fit then look at the FF5814, it's the same filter but shorter. 

You could try a FF5322/P551312 in place of the P551315, but it's taller and there is a very small gasket diameter difference and it's about 1/2" bigger around. 

Whoo!! So glad to hear from you haha.  

That's right in line with what I've researched, and heard from you.  90 GPH seems to be the best under the A/D, 60 GPH was the closest runner-up.  

Now for the FF5817, are you saying ditch my CAT 1R-0750, and put the FF5817 in its place?  Are you saying that the FF5817 is better than the CAT? 

I'm sure that the P551312 would fit but seeing that it's also a 3um filter I'll just stick with the P551315.  

Also, it was recommended to me to add another W/S so what do you think about this setup?

Sump - BF1375 - P551315 - FS1000 - 1R-0750

Or should I go with the following?

Sump - FS1000 - BF1375 - P551315 - 1R-0750

And of course, if you're telling me to ditch the 1R for the FF5817 then I'd make that change.  I definitely have built trust in your word over the past 5 years that I've been reading your posts and write-ups.

I was just thinking, does it makes sense to have any W/S after one F/F and before another F/F?  Wouldn't you want ALL the water possible removed before getting to ANY filter?  If the answers to these questions are "yes", then I'm thinking that my second setup would be best.

Edited by ecurnes8888

• Staff

The  BF1375 is a different thread pitch and will not fit on the AD unit. 

The Fletguard NanoNet media is better than the Cat media, so yes I would run the FF5817 over the Cat. I personally stopped using the Cat's a few years  back and run either the Donaldson or NanoNet with the NanoNet being preferred. 

The benefit to the P551312 is that it's larger and therefore will have more media surface area and flow better, which is good considering the flow rating differences between the filters and pump. 

I really don't like AD's because of their oddball thread sizing. At least on the older FASS pumps you can adapt them to dual 1-14", but I am not aware of a fix for the AD's, so you're stuck with a crappy filter selection. 

If you want to run an additional f/w sep I would put a Baldwin BF1212 on the frame prior to the AD. 

BF1212-BF1275-P551312-FF5817. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, I agree about the crappy selection and want to switch to a FASS.  "unfortunately" haha, my A/D still works great so I won't switch anytime soon.

Got it, I'll run that setup! Thanks so much for your help!!

Side note, why the BF1212 over the FS1000?

What would you recommend for the W/S & F/F on a FASS?  Last qeustion haha

On 4/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, AH64ID said:

The  BF1375 is a different thread pitch and will not fit on the AD unit. 

The Fletguard NanoNet media is better than the Cat media, so yes I would run the FF5817 over the Cat. I personally stopped using the Cat's a few years  back and run either the Donaldson or NanoNet with the NanoNet being preferred. 

The benefit to the P551312 is that it's larger and therefore will have more media surface area and flow better, which is good considering the flow rating differences between the filters and pump. 

I really don't like AD's because of their oddball thread sizing. At least on the older FASS pumps you can adapt them to dual 1-14", but I am not aware of a fix for the AD's, so you're stuck with a crappy filter selection. 

If you want to run an additional f/w sep I would put a Baldwin BF1212 on the frame prior to the AD. 

BF1212-BF1275-P551312-FF5817. 

Last question, what would you use as a W/S & F/F on a FASS? I noticed you said that you can adapt the threads. 

• Staff

You could ditch the last filter after the FASS, or keep it. It wouldn't hurt anything but the cost of a filter at change time. 

I also just realized Donaldson has a new line out. The DBF5817 should also be a good choice, and it looks to be a fair amount cheaper than the Fleetguard NanoNet stuff. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Thanks 1

If it doesn't hurt anything then that only means it's helping, and the cost of a filter over what fuel system parts are is negligible.  I'll take a look around and see if I can find some specs.  I really appreciate your help, thank you for coming through.

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, AH64ID said:

You could ditch the last filter after the FASS, or keep it. It wouldn't hurt anything but the cost of a filter at change time. 

I also just realized Donaldson has a new line out. The DBF5817 should also be a good choice, and it looks to be a fair amount cheaper than the Fleetguard NanoNet stuff. 

Where do you get your information on filters?  I have tried to get info on my own but don't ever find very much.  Do you get it straight from the manufacturers?

• Staff
On 8/25/2018 at 4:18 PM, ecurnes8888 said:

Where do you get your information on filters?  I have tried to get info on my own but don't ever find very much.  Do you get it straight from the manufacturers?

Yes I've spent a lot of time emailing and talking with the manufacturers.