• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Conditioning

Time to tackle my Air Conditioning slow leak before summer

Its had a slow leak. Have to refill r134 every summer

I checked for leakage areas last year and didnt see anything that stood out, Fittings on compressor etc

Are slow leaks usually the front shaft seal on the compressor?

Are these compressors on a '99 worth it to replace the seal and keep your original compressor kinda like its a good Idea to keep your original denso starter than swap it for a chineze napa junk, or is it better just to get a rebuilt compressor from rock auto

Wish I had a AC sniffer.... Does harbor frieght sell a r134 sniffer leak detector?

/?

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

@dripleyis right about the evaporator having a tendency to leak, that's why it's a good idea to replace it when doing a heater core replacement.  

The front compressor seal is another place to look at for sure but I think you need a special to replace it.  When replacing any component on a vehicle this old it's a good idea to replace all the O-rings in the system too.

As for using a rebuilt or new compressor  for a few dollars more I've all ways have gone with a new one.

This may help

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/54_cab-interior/basic-air-condition-repair-r485/   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

There is a UV dye also  Need a UV light . Not sure if the sniffer is better or the UV dye

If it leaks in the hvac box you cant see it. Used the green dye on mine and it puddled in the box. Never saw until I pulled it. Not even sure a sniffer will go in there. 

• Owner
26 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

@dripleyis right about the evaporator having a tendency to leak, that's why it's a good idea to replace it when doing a heater core replacement.  

The front compressor seal is another place to look at for sure but I think you need a special to replace it.  When replacing any component on a vehicle this old it's a good idea to replace all the O-rings in the system too.

As for using a rebuilt or new compressor  for a few dollars more I've all ways have gone with a new one.

This may help

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/54_cab-interior/basic-air-condition-repair-r485/   

POW! Right there... Covered everything I wanted to say. :kick:

The front compressor seal is another place to look at for sure but I think you need a special to replace it. 

Did you mean

"The front compressor seal is another place to look at for sure but I think you need a special TOOL to replace it."

I know the AC compressors on old chevy trucks  replacing the front seal and bearing, you need to use a special press and the housing gets bent or warped very easy. so just buy a new or rebuilt compressor

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 10:22 PM, IBMobile said:

This may help

:iagree:I bet if you took a poll about AC leaks, most would say the evaporator 

L8tr

D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

In my history of work I would say o-rings and compressor front seals. 

I ran my original compressor for 240,000 miles.  I was adding refrigerant more frequently and decided to take a gamble and replace the compressor with another new Denso one year ago last month. 

The following November (and 13,000 miles later) I replaced the heater core.  When I recovered the refrigerant, I took out the same amount I put in when I replaced the compressor.  Since I had no refrigerant leaks, I decided not to replace the evaporator core when I had the dash apart.  Time will tell whether or not it was a good decision.

- John