We have detected that you are blocking our advertisers. We pay our operational bills with advertising and donations. Please add Mopar1973Man.Com to your whitelist of sites on your adblocker. If you register as a member and submit a donation to the website, the advertising amount is reduced the more you donate. 

whitelist.png

This will allow you to keep you adblocker turned on for other sites and allow to display advertising here. Thank you, for understanding and whitelisting Mopar1973Man.Com. This will allow us to continue providing quality Cummins diesel information to everyone for free!

• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

2001 with CAD and vacuum actuator, has anyone replaced this with a factory or store part and what would you recommend? No, I don't want to the cable, just replace what's broken. Rock Auto has a standard motors unit,a dana unit where the part numbers don't match anything online...

The CAD system is very simple in function and action.  Here's a link to help you diagnose... http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

I think the most common problem causing CAD issues is there's a vacuum problem or vacuum line problem or the axle collar inside the CAD is worn and wont slide properly.

One thing I think worth mentioning is that even though the trucks owners manual may state that the CAD 4wd is shift on the fly..... doing so at speed above 5-10 mph can be damaging to the synchro ring inside the transfer case.  Shoving it into 4wd at higher road speeds can wear out the synchro which will in turn wear out the slide collar in the CAD.

Unlike the full time non-CAD systems, the CAD system is a "part time" 4wd which means the front driveshaft is not spinning at road speeds while in 2wd.  So to engage 4wd the transfer case has a synchro ring which acts like a clutch that speeds up the driveshaft to whatever speed the rear driveshaft is spinning.  Then when the two driveshafts are speed matched, the left and right front axle shafts are speed matched as well allowing the passenger side split shafts inside the CAD to be connected via the sliding collar. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Don't forget mechanical damage of the CAD vacuum motor. Like mine was struck by debris and bent the rod in the vacuum motor causing it to hang up and stick. Still to this day that truck hangs up on the release you need to stop back up 5 feet and the CAD will release. Been several times to have issues with vacuum lines, under heavy throttle vacuum low have the CAD unlock, list goes on. MoparMom even owned a Chevy S10 with a similar system and had the same issues with vacuum and loss of 4WD truck was sold within a few years it didn't survive Idaho winters at all.

Non-CAD system doesn't have these issues. Even with a driveshaft that spins 100% of the time when you engage its lock. When you push that lever back to 2WD it's instantly unlocked. No CAD collar to hang up or vacuum issues. A much simpler system with no failures.

Being I own one of both system the 1996 Dodge is CAD axle and my 2002 Dodge is NON-CAD axle. 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:43 AM, CTcummins24V said:

2001 with CAD and vacuum actuator, has anyone replaced this with a factory or store part and what would you recommend? No, I don't want to the cable, just replace what's broken. Rock Auto has a standard motors unit,a dana unit where the part numbers don't match anything online...

I've had to replace the one on my 1996 and its a NAP unit. Still having issues with hanging CAD ring on release. It'll engage fine but you must stop and back up to release this on. It was doing this before the change and after as well.